President Biden

While I wasn't hopeful, it is happening faster than I expected, but that's the way of the world these days, isn't it? The Taliban has killed some pregnant woman, appointed a cabinet member with ties to ISIS and literally whipped women protesting. Oh, well.

Things are going to get rather worse there shortly, and at some point the Taliban are going to start looking outwards, best believe that. Losing that country is going to come back in bites that not everybody is going to be able to dodge.

While I wasn't hopeful, it is happening faster than I expected, but that's the way of the world these days, isn't it? The Taliban has killed some pregnant woman, appointed a cabinet member with ties to ISIS and literally whipped women protesting. Oh, well.

Unfortunately, these things were going to happen no matter when we pulled out. We either should have pulled out a long time ago or just made it permanent in some way. Those people are never going to change.

My closet optimist is a tough old bastard. If recent times haven't killed that old fool, what will?

Looks like Garland might be actually waking up and taking a hard look at the Texas debacle. I've always been a big fan of Garlands yet, for the past eight months, he's really not done much in his position at all. And after the past few blokes that held that title, it really shouldn't be too difficult to step up your game.

Yeah, I saw that. He jumped on this one quick enough, but I'm still puzzled by the lack of action in several other areas much more crucial to the survival of the government he works for.

Looks like Garland might be actually waking up and taking a hard look at the Texas debacle. I've always been a big fan of Garlands yet, for the past eight months, he's really not done much in his position at all. And after the past few blokes that held that title, it really shouldn't be too difficult to step up your game.
Simple answer because citizens lost faith in the DOJ under Trump. If he did everything Biden wanted he would be just another politicized puppet. He doesn't want that.

He wants the DOJ to be independent and not tied to politics. Still we all know in our current era that's all but impossible, cause lets face it everything is political nowadays.

I suspect you're right, Couch. Either he or Biden don't want to appear to be using the office politically. Don't want to muck up the beloved infrastructure bill or piss off the wild bull in body armor, carrying an AR in the china shop.

But this isn't political. It's about enforcing the law. We just might lose our country, if everyone keeps tip-toeing around that emotionally stunted but heavily armed bull. It's going to hate you anyway. It won't stop until you grab it by that ring in its nose.

I suspect you're right, Couch. Either he or Biden don't want to appear to be using the office politically. Don't want to muck up the beloved infrastructure bill or piss off the wild bull in body armor, carrying an AR in the china shop.

But this isn't political. It's about enforcing the law. We're just might lose our country, if everyone keeps tip-toeing around that emotionally stunted but heavily armed bull. It's going to hate you anyway. It won't stop until you grab it by that ring in its nose.
The thing about laws is they are made to be broken and written by men. Or let me put it another way whoever holds the whip/power can do anything they want through history.

Not if you enforce the law, just laws, in a democracy.

Not real-life bro that's storybook thinking. Good does not always triumph. I wish it did but as they say things have to get worse before things finally get better in the end.:(

Sure, we've seen plenty of atrocities in our history, but I submit to you no one has ever really just done whatever they want to. Even Trump didn't get that far…yet.

In a democracy, this isn't a forgone conclusion. The people still hold power. They still get the final say, a right of refusal, unless they vote Republican next time and we lose our vote, lose its significance, like the Russians. Then all bets are off, and our "leaders" really will do whatever they want. I think we Americans have no idea what that really means, and I, for one, don't want to find out.

In the end, if you tried to do the right things and adhered to the job, you'll be remembered for doing that. Unfortunately, you might take some heat while actually performing your duties, though history might recall you more kindly. Doing nothing and letting evil simply have its' way is never the answer.

Biden releases a formerly classified FBI report that notes communications between Saudi officials and the 9-11 mass-murdering hijackers. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers were Saudi nationals. Two Saudi officials, including a diplomat, reportedly provided logistical support to the hijackers within the U.S., though the report expressly points out there is no evidence those officials were acting at the direction of the Saudi government.

Pretty suspicious, though, isn't it? Biden seems to think so. He has abruptly yanked a missle-defense system from Saudi Arabia, even as they have been the target of recent drone attacks from Yemen.

Points, Amtrack Joe. If we're going to pull all the way out of Afghanistan, well, fuck the Saudis in the ear. For how long have we compromised the things we say we believe in for the sake of money? I haven't heard anything in a long while, but I hope we've pulled out the U.S. troops, not mercenaries -- well, the ones Trump rented to the Saudis were mercenaries in all practicality -- sent in direct exchange for cash to strengthen their defense as the Middle East maelstrom picked up speed, particularly the proxy war in Yemen.

While Trump turned it up to 11, as usual, we've been doing this kind of crap for a long damn time. I recall Baby Bush, and he hasn't been the only one, including Obama, touting our relationship with Saudia Arabia and all the wonderful things it would bring. Baby Bush bragged how it would help keep OPEC oil prices down. Never happened. I can't recall a single thing of significance that came out of our money-grubbing relationship with Saudi Arabia, outside of 15 plane hijackers and suicide bombers.

Nod, most of the Saudi people in power seem totally shady at best, and raving starkers at worse. Doing less with them seems like a brilliant move, and making them less aware of your future endeavors is even more wise.

It says something that this thread has nowhere near the traction that the old Trump thread did!! Wonder why? :)

It says something that this thread has nowhere near the traction that the old Trump thread did!! Wonder why? :)

Because the biggest news is that the Democrats are quite likely to lose Congress and he doesn't sign five billion controversial exec orders per day.

Because the Biden administration is a pretty mediocre example of a run-of-the-mill, neo-liberal Western state; whereas having Donald Trump in charge of the world's dominant superpower was quite alarming for most rational people?

Back
Top Bottom