The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Yesterday I had a long flashback to good old Buddy Holly. That's the kind of music that will just level things out for me, nothing seems wrong when those tunes are pumping.

Alright, I won't recalibrate the thread like I should... ;)

How about some 80's goodness?

I watched OMD playing live yesterday night. That was just great. It had such a good time ... my ears not so much. I'm glad they are fine now.
What I found not so great was their support group. They were so many kilimetres apart from my personal taste - even although I found them impressive, from an artistic standpoint alone. However, I got a very ... uneasy feeling from their music. The only term I can describe this feeling with is "dissonance".
The singer had an impressive voice - I just didn't like that voice at all. I always had the feeling as if it didn't quite fit to the music. And I heard people behind me say the same.
And I had a very important lesson learned : Don't buy support group CDs before you actually hear them. I had thought that this group would met my taste well, because that was the case with the last concert tour of OMD. However, it was absolutely the opposite this time.
And i want to sress that this is purely a matter of personal taaste. Others might like the music of the support group/band much more than I do.
The support group/band's name was "Walt Disco".
If anyone wants their CD, send me a message. I'll give you mine, then.

Oh man, OMD is such a fantastic group, I was lucky enough to have caught live performances in both the eighties and nineties and they never let me down. I also enjoy the albums I have of theirs, from the very first self-titled up to Universal. I've not acquired their latter albums so I need to do that at some point.

I'm sorry to read that the support group wasn't so good, and I appreciate the warning.

Oh man, OMD is such a fantastic group, I was lucky enough to have caught live performances in both the eighties and nineties and they never let me down. I also enjoy the albums I have of theirs, from the very first self-titled up to Universal. I've not acquired their latter albums so I need to do that at some point.

I'm sorry to read that the support group wasn't so good, and I appreciate the warning.
Yes, they are great. The hall basically became a huge dancing hall. ;)
They have a mix of 70-80 % hits 1-2 rarities and the rest lesser known songs.

These are their current tour dates : https://omd.uk.com/pages/shows
Basically Europe but also in April 2 times in South Africa.

Their support group/band from the last tour was Tiny Magnetic Pets (TMP) from Ireland, and they were great, too ! They have a good page on Bandcamp. You can order their CDs there. (The CDs have weird titles, sometimes, though.)

New albums by two of my faves over the last couple of weeks:

Guitarist Mary Halvorson - Cloudward (same sextet that did 'album of year' winner Amaryllis last year) ... here they are a year ago doing Night Shift:

Pianist Vijay Iyer - Compassion (saw him live up in Rochester NY in November playing this album, really great stuff). Here is the title track:

Last edited:
I was just listening to some good old Golden Earring three days ago, what an excellent band, so very versatile and always a joy to hear. I saw them once with Blue Oyster Cult and a few other smaller bands, one of the better concert memories for me.

Back
Top Bottom