Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition for iPad Announced and More

You also don't have to worry about upgrading it every three months and spending an additional $300 which you obviously didn't factor in.
This point gives away that your knowledge of PCs seems to be something like 10 years old at best. Game software nowadays must be able to run on a console. Which means that hardware requirements of nearly all new games is that of about 2005 or 2006. Until this January, I had been using a PC that had been built in 2006, and I could run current games on it just fine (not on the highest settings, of course, but that is not the point, as the consoles can't either). I had once spent $120 on a new graphics card after 5 years, because I wanted to have DX11 and some new shader compatibility. The quick hardware race was a thing of the early 2000's and is long gone.

I had to replace the core of the computer (motherboard, CPU, RAM) because of a motherboard failure this January, but still use most of the add-ons (graphics card, sound card, etc.) . Now it's blazing fast and uses less power, but other than that, I would have kept my old 2006 PC, as it was sufficient for 2012.

And antivirus software isn't really a big topic nowadays, either. You get it for free directly from Microsoft and other companies, and the Microsoft one is one you can forget about, as it does everything by itself. You just have to install it once. Did I mention it's free? ;)

Edit: Oh, and my oldest still running PC is a Pentium III 450 MHz. It's perfectly suitable for Baldur's Gate. Guess from which year that one is.

Last edited:
You still ond't get it. Read that Neogaf thread where they were having a hard time running it at 60fps. Older software often runs poorly on newer operating systems form Microsoft and hardware due to driver issues with Windows or GPUs. Look how badly some emulators or Dosbox runs on low-end quad cores. I have a pretty new laptop with an integrated GPU and can't run anything on it off Steam including older 2D games. I have a ahrd time running the Ys series on it and have to run it on 800x600.

You still ond't get it.
Oh, I get it just fine. As other people in this thread have already mentioned, most of the stuff you say is simply factually wrong.

Read that Neogaf thread where they were having a hard time running it at 60fps. Older software often runs poorly on newer operating systems form Microsoft and hardware due to driver issues with Windows or GPUs. Look how badly some emulators or Dosbox runs on low-end quad cores. I have a pretty new laptop with an integrated GPU and can't run anything on it off Steam including older 2D games. I have a ahrd time running the Ys series on it and have to run it on 800x600.
You mix up different issues here. If you buy a computer with an integrated GPU, you made a decision to have a computer that isn't built for games, but for office stuff. Similar to a Mac, actually. Even a $20 graphics card will probably beat an integrated chip.

Some more high-end laptops also have very specific graphics cards that need very specific drivers, which is also something you should know when you buy them. If the game description on Steam already says "doesn't run on laptops", this is what is meant, as laptop drivers have to be provided by the laptop manufacturer, not by ATI, Nvidia or Intel. Companies like Toshiba often don't bother with graphics driver updates, and game manufacturers don't do, either.

Then again, I can run stuff like Daggerfall in DOSBox on my cheap Netbook, which is really not built for games. But it works, so who am I to complain.

Edit: With old 2D games, I would recommend buying them at gog.com, by the way. They come with a pre-configured DOSBox, and installation is quite painless.

Last edited:
But what I was saying is that to buy any laptop that doesnt came with an integrated chip you have sto spend $1000 dollars. unless you get one from Newegg or something and those will still cost at least $700 without shipping/handling and tax. Its much cheaper to buy an iPad. Plus its a lot more comfortable. You dont have to look for extra spots near you to place the mouse or carry it with you everywhere and uncomfortable hot computer sitting on your lap.

Also, I got iDOS before Apple pulled it for iPad so I can play a lot of those older RPGs on my iPad already.

Also, I got iDOS before Apple pulled it for iPad so I can play a lot of those older RPGs on my iPad already.
That's good for you. I don't think anyone here has anything negative to say about you playing old games on an iPad. That's great.

But your "before Apple pulled it" is one of the reasons why I don't buy Apple products. I don't want to let one company decide what I can do with my computer.

That's good for you. I don't think anyone here has anything negative to say about you playing old games on an iPad. That's great.

But your "before Apple pulled it" is one of the reasons why I don't buy Apple products. I don't want to let one company decide what I can do with my computer.

Trust me, Sony is worse with the PSP and Vita. They would patch homebrew capabilities every month literally and allow 0 emulators -- whereas Apple allows some on the App Store.

Well, Macs aren't really closed like iPads. You can put any emulator you want on a Mac because they aren't tied to the App Store and iTunes.

Well, Macs aren't really closed like iPads. You can put any emulator you want on a Mac because they aren't tied to the App Store and iTunes.
Sure. But that somehow beats the purpose of having a Mac, doesn't it? I know that our Physics department uses Macs as portable Unix machines, though.

I have an iPad and I like it. I have a PC and I like it too. Both have their merits.
I have Baldur's Gate on my iPad using GemRB and I do not like it that much. The user interaction is nowhere near as convenient as it is on the PC. It's playable, but that is about it.
So I hope they convert the Infinity Engine properly and think about user interaction when using your fingers instead of a mouse. It is less precise, so buttons and other elements in the screen are sometimes just too small to be selected properly.
Furthermore they should use a better font.
Running at 1024x768 on a 20 inch screen is so much different from 1024x768 on a 10 inch screen.

Running at 1024x768 on a 20 inch screen is so much different from 1024x768 on a 10 inch screen.
Yeah - on a 20" screen it looks like a$$ :D

I have Baldur's Gate on my iPad using GemRB and I do not like it that much. The user interaction is nowhere near as convenient as it is on the PC. It's playable, but that is about it.
So I hope they convert the Infinity Engine properly and think about user interaction when using your fingers instead of a mouse.

Totally agree - the Computer/Tablet debate is very much like the Computer/Console debate. Ultimately if a game is totally designed for one experience - regardless of which - it needs to be redesigned to work on another system, or the overall experience will be sub-optimal ... or suck.

I tried GemRB again and remembered why I dumped it months ago.

I am also exhausted with all of the BS flinging from all sides - I have Mac, PC, iPad, Android tablets, and Android phones. They are all great; they all suck. Well, perhaps not ... I have yet to find a time in the last 2 years I would say the iPad sucked. Whereas I HAVE said that about my PC, Mac, revolving door of Android tablets and several Android phones. But that is me - I am fully engaged in the tablet (by which I mean iPad, the rest are truly inferior as multi-purpose devices) experience.

Another reason to get the iPad version (it will cost $10 or less):
http://kotaku.com/5896565/baldurs-gate-ipad-will-support-multiplayer-cost-less-than-10

Is it just me or can people not like stuff lately without pushing it on others. I guess if they make KOA for the ipad we can all throw away everything else, pick up those 2 things and be in video game nirvana.

I mean really what could be better than the most beautiful game in the world played on the best system in the world.:rolleyes:

There are some truely great IPad games, I have one now I am playing Hunters 2, and it's great. The battle for westnoth ipad version plays great too. Lot's of great games out for it. I think if you like PC games you will find more games you would like on an Ipad say instead of a handheld game machine. Ipad's work great for me when I am at Sea and need my gaming fix.

Is it just me or can people not like stuff lately without pushing it on others. I guess if they make KOA for the ipad we can all throw away everything else, pick up those 2 things and be in video game nirvana.

I mean really what could be better than the most beautiful game in the world played on the best system in the world.:rolleyes:

This stupid thing you have going bashing KOA and IPads in a totally unrelated thing is tiring.

This stupid thing you have going bashing KOA and IPads in a totally unrelated thing is tiring.

Well this thread is about ipad and KOA has as much to do with it as battle for westnoth and hunter 2 do.

I guess you wouldn't be tired if I supported your view.

I have no problem with ipad or KOA. My problem is when people flat out lie about things and when they are called on it they ignore it and move to a different thread to post. No, i'm not talking about you either they know who they are.

Lol did you guys know a site exists that is called Cult of Mac? I bet you guys would get a heart attack if you checked it out.

Last edited:
Just to think that I said a couple of pages ago that iPad users are not just zombie fanboys, yet now I'm totally creeped out...

Just to think that I said a couple of pages ago that iPad users are not just zombie fanboys, yet now I'm totally creeped out…

I was just semi-trolling and being serious but he is starting to creep me out. Its entering stalker area here.

Back
Top Bottom