Baldur's Gate Noob Questions

I think BG 1/2 stands up well even today. It has a charm about it that will always be there. I only played it for the first time a few years ago and loved it to bits. Obviously you need to have some interest in rpgs but other than that I don't think it's age is a factor really. It's interesting to compare BG to Mass Effect 3 for example to see the journey Bioware have taken. The stuff they considered worth keeping and the stuff they considered needed to be streamlined to bring in new non rpg type players. Financially it worked but in other ways it is a sad decline really.

I have to agree. I'm an RPG fan, so any game that is heavy on the RPG-ness is going to be good for me, and BG is a shining example of what I love about RPGs. It still stands up as a great game.

Mass Effect? It's more of a streamlined interactive movie, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good game (I have only played the first one), but I will take Baldur's Gate 10 times out of 10.

Mass Effect? It's more of a streamlined interactive movie, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good game (I have only played the first one), but I will take Baldur's Gate 10 times out of 10.

Mass Effect has its moments but it can't touch Baldur's Gate.

Bioware has made a lot of good games over the years but nothing on the same level as BG 1&2 imo. Dragon Age: Origins probably came the closest for me and even that game falls well short when compared to BG in many aspects.

Mass Effect has its moments but it can't touch Baldur's Gate.

Bioware has made a lot of good games over the years but nothing on the same level as BG 1&2 imo. Dragon Age: Origins probably came the closest for me and even that game falls well short when compared to BG in many aspects.

I had some fun with Dragon Age: Origins too, but I would still take Baldur's Gate over it, easily. This game just oozes charm, as well as an obvious love and passion that went into making it.

Bioware has indeed made some good games over the years, I just wish more games were made like BG! I hope Project Eternity can capture some of that magic.

I'd say Mass Effect is the inferior game - but if we're talking about the "experience" - I'd prefer Mass Effect. That said, I'm big on immersion and sci-fi settings, so there's that.

Baldur's Gate, in my opinion, doesn't work too well in terms of story or NPCs. Well, Mass Effect is not exactly Tolkien - but it's a very compelling experience regardless.

So, I don't think it's a clear-cut comparison.

I'd say Mass Effect is the inferior game - but if we're talking about the "experience" - I'd prefer Mass Effect. That said, I'm big on immersion and sci-fi settings, so there's that.
Well, if a quality game isn't about the game I'd say the "experience" of the movie Star Wars was even better. Interactive cinematic multimedia like Mass Effect offers me less immersion than a good movie, or even a good Roguelike. There's no story at all in Chess and some would say its the best game ever made. It's also multiplayer, like the origins of Dungeons and Dragons.
Baldur's Gate, in my opinion, doesn't work too well in terms of story or NPCs. Well, Mass Effect is not exactly Tolkien - but it's a very compelling experience regardless.

So, I don't think it's a clear-cut comparison.
Weren't you just talking about how you like Skyrim so much because you can make your own story and saying BG was too linear for you? I swear, you contradict yourself every other post. And Boo would be ashamed that you didn't like BGs NPCs!

Well, if a quality game isn't about the game I'd say the "experience" of the movie Star Wars was even better. Interactive cinematic multimedia like Mass Effect offers me less immersion than a good movie, or even a good Roguelike. There's no story at all in Chess and some would say its the best game ever made. It's also multiplayer, like the origins of Dungeons and Dragons.

Yeah, Star Wars was great when I was 9 :)

Back then, I'd say Star Wars was definitely a better experience than Baldur's Gate is today - for me.

Mass Effect has better writing, though, and that's saying something - as ME writing is mediocre at best.

As for what a game is about - there's the "game" part, which is about interaction, challenge and rules, mostly. Then there are things like story, atmosphere, music, and so on. Games are pretty unique in how they combine so many different kinds of entertainment.

Computer games have sort of evolved from Chess and the meaning of the word has changed accordingly.

You don't agree? What a shock ;)

Weren't you just talking about how you like Skyrim so much because you can make your own story and saying BG was too linear for you? I swear, you contradict yourself every other post. And Boo would be ashamed that you didn't like BGs NPCs!

Yeah, I love my own stories when I have the freedom to create them.

No, I didn't say BG was too linear.

You have to pay attention if you want to understand what I'm about.

But, you're the sort of person that would rather create a fantasy about someone, and you seem to have a nack for it. So, why not just go on? I don't mind.

Let's just pretend I said BG was too linear. Cool by me.

I wish I could say Mass Effect was a great experience for me. I did enjoy the first game quite a bit, but the sequels dragged down the overall experience significantly. I don't see myself ever replaying any of them.

Baldur's Gate on the other hand is one of those games that I'll probably continue to replay every so often for years to come.

I wish I could say Mass Effect was a great experience for me. I did enjoy the first game quite a bit, but the sequels dragged down the overall experience significantly. I don't see myself ever replaying any of them.

Baldur's Gate on the other hand is one of those games that I'll probably continue to replay every so often for years to come.

I'm exclusively talking about Mass Effect and not the sequels, as I agree they were pretty underwhelming.

I've replayed Mass Effect a few times - and I've enjoyed it more than any of my BG replays - as I get bored with BG before I finish it. I've only ever finished it back upon release.

I enjoy BG during the "build-up" phase, but I get bored after reaching the main city.

Then again, I've never been a big fan of endless combat scenarios.

Then again, I've never been a big fan of endless combat scenarios.

That's interesting since that describes Mass Effect just as much as any other Bioware game imo. Other than when you're on Citadel or the ship, the game is almost entirely about combat.

I agree that it's not a very good comparison though. I'm not sure if I even consider Mass Effect to be an RPG.

That's interesting since that describes Mass Effect just as much as any other Bioware game imo. Other than when you're on Citadel or the ship, the game is almost entirely about combat.

I agree that it's not a very good comparison though. I'm not sure if I even consider Mass Effect to be an RPG.

I guess it depends on what you get from a game. Personally, I got a lot of immersion and atmosphere out of Mass Effect. I felt like I was part of a pretty intriguing mystery - and I loved the sci-fi feel of the game.

I also felt the lore was very well done for a game. Much, much better than the laughable amateur-hour crap from Baldur's Gate.

However, to me, the gameplay was pretty dull and sort of perfunctory, especially the character progression system and the itemization.

I agree that Mass Effect has a ton of "filler combat" - and that's not really part of my enjoyment.

I enjoy Baldur's Gate a lot more when it comes to mechanics and combat, but it still has a ton of it. I just tend to need "more" than good mechanics.

In fact, I'd rather have so-so mechanics and a ton of immersion/lore/atmosphere - than I want so-so immersion/lore/atmosphere and great mechanics. Usually, anyway.

To me, the best games combine good mechanics and good "other stuff" - but that's me.

Baldur's Gate was great back in 1998 when it comes to atmosphere and immersion, but it's sort of old-fashioned and quaint now. I can enjoy it for nostalgic reasons - but I don't feel immersed anymore.

Mass Effect still has a very powerful effect in that way.

But to each his own.

I wish I could say that Mass Effect had a powerful effect on me that way, but it didn't. I found it to be a good, but not great, space opera with action-adventure type gameplay.

I don't really agree with anything you said when it comes to comparing immerion, lore, etc., but I'm not going to debate about it. I'm glad you were able to enjoy ME more than I did.

I wish I could say that Mass Effect had a powerful effect on me that way, but it didn't. I found it to be a good, but not great, space opera with action-adventure type gameplay.

I don't really agree with anything you said when it comes to comparing immerion, lore, etc., but I'm not going to debate about it. I'm glad you were able to enjoy ME more than I did.

There's nothing to debate ;)

Sometimes people like different things for different reasons.

It's unfortunate that you didn't enjoy ME that much, but them's the breaks.

I found it to be a good, but not great, space opera with action-adventure type gameplay.

Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I felt about it. I did think it was very good, but not a 10/10 game. I also felt it was more of an interactive movie than a deep RPG.

I really can't believe that they saved the best for last in this game.

Baldur's Gate the city is a joy to explore. It's huge, lots of things to do and see, quests all over the place and intrigue everywhere. I love the unique encounters in general with this game and the main city delivers those abundantly.

I just spent the last hour of game time reading the 20+ books I've accumulated just searching bookshelves in the city alone. Awesome stuff. The lore is really interesting. Is this simply Dungeons & Dragons lore? I noticed some familiar names like Myth Drannor, Daggerdale, Icewind Dale, etc. I can't wait to explore the lore further, it's really a lot of fun.

But yeah, this huge city is just what I needed at this point in the game. It's a complete change of pace over what came previously. The pacing leading up to this point was excellent. It seemed that the game knew when to push you with a deep dungeon dive or a tough encounter. Now exploring this city I'm finding all that and then some here.

Brilliant game this is.

I guess it depends on what you get from a game. Personally, I got a lot of immersion and atmosphere out of Mass Effect. I felt like I was part of a pretty intriguing mystery - and I loved the sci-fi feel of the game.

I also felt the lore was very well done for a game. Much, much better than the laughable amateur-hour crap from Baldur's Gate.

You better put down that keyboard before you say something stupid that you regret without even realising. Something like how the Forgotten Realms lore is "amateur-hour crap".

So much love went into Baldurs Gate. If I recall correctly, it was made by a team of doctors who quit their day jobs to do something they had a genuine passion for. To bring back the glory of the goldbox days taking advantage of modern hardware and making the best D&D ever. In my opinion, it shows.

One day you're making threads titled "gaming ain't what it used to be", the next you're telling us you haven't even played BG2 and
DArtagnan said:
Baldur's Gate was great back in 1998 when it comes to atmosphere and immersion, but it's sort of old-fashioned and quaint now.

Now go play BG2 or I won't be able to take you seriously ever again. Go! Right now! :)

PS. I do remember correctly.

So much love went into Baldurs Gate. If I recall correctly, it was made by a team of doctors who quit their day jobs to do something they had a genuine passion for. To bring back the glory of the goldbox days taking advantage of modern hardware and making the best D&D ever. In my opinion, it shows.

Amen to that :)

Amen indeed.

I have yet to have experienced a game that made me feel more what D&D was all about than those two games.
That Baldur's Gate series it the best from my point of view.
I am not saying that they are the best games there are.
Just saying that they are the best D&D fleshed out games out there to me.

The Icewind Dale series is not bad either.
Forgot about those two games but you know what I mean.
They are not Baldur's Gate.

Last edited:
interesting. Is this simply Dungeons & Dragons lore? I noticed some familiar names like Myth Drannor, Daggerdale, Icewind Dale, etc.
Actually it's Forgotten Realms (FR) lore. It's the so called campaign setting BG takes place in.

D&D is just the rule set. In BG its's actually AD&D (Advanced D&D), which is the 2nd edition of D&D. Current edition is D&D 4.

If you want to read some mor FR lore, just have a look at the Forgotten Realms Wiki. Though you perhaps should wait until you've finished BG2 as you might spoil your experience otherwise.

Well spoken. I don't care if it was done by rocket scientists or hobos, but imho there's not a better D&D game out there and for hardly any better games at all.

I've enjoyed Mass Effect a lot too btw., but for other reasons.

Last edited:
Actually it's Forgotten Realms (FR) lore. It's the so called campaign setting BG takes place in.

D&D is just the rule set. In BG its's actually AD&D (Advanced D&D), which is the 2nd edition of D&D. Current edition is D&D 4.

If you want to read some mor FR lore, just have a look at the Forgotten Realms Wiki. Though you perhaps should wait until you've finished BG2 as you might spoil your experience otherwise.

Thanks for the information.

I take it Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights are also part of the Forgotten Realms setting?

This setting really is fantastic. After reading some of those in-game books, the lore became that much more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom