Beamdog - David Gaider joins as Creative Director

I can't speak for IWD EE since I've yet to play it, but I thought they did a great job with BG. They listened to fan feedback and released patches on a regular basis, which is more than what most companies seem to do nowadays.

damage control, the bug lists were huge upon release with every single one of their titles. Speaking for IWD, it still is. IIRC the same is true for BG 1&2. And fan feedback? Noice, but also not that surprising for a company of that size. Underrail is a turn based game now only thanks to fan feedback.

German "Blech" = English "iron plate" or "stel plate", according to dict.leo.org ;)

Ha, my slang doesn't exist in a dictionary:)

I tried to read one of the Gaider novels while playing Dragon Age and thought it was pretty bad. Haven't played a bioware game since thougj.

Because building a game engine is a large part of creating a game, possibly as much as fifty percent of the total work, and if the engine is buggy or doesn't work properly all the other work isn't going to matter much. What they've done so far is tweak a game engine and create new assets.
Still does not explain why them not making the ending means something bad for the upcoming expansion.

VtM: Bloodlines was made on Source, I am sure Troika didn't make Source.

Semi off-topic:
Engine for whatever new game they are making (BG3?): They should use Larian's Original Sin engine. Anyone know if Larian has licensed it out to any other developers?

Original Sin engine doesn't work on phones. So they won't be using it.

Semi off-topic:
Engine for whatever new game they are making (BG3?): They should use Larian's Original Sin engine. Anyone know if Larian has licensed it out to any other developers?

Not that I know of. Also, they're likely to use their new, enhanced version of the Infinity Engine, as they put a lot of work into it. I'm guessing this new expansion (Siege of Dragonspear) is the final stepping stone before they make a full blown game with the same engine.

Not that I know of. Also, they're likely to use their new, enhanced version of the Infinity Engine, as they put a lot of work into it. I'm guessing this new expansion (Siege of Dragonspear) is the final stepping stone before they make a full blown game with the same engine.
For a totally new game they would need to improve both player and monster models.

For a totally new game they would need to improve both player and monster models.

Personally, I wouldn't care either way. My only frustration with the Infinity Engine is the horrible pathfinding (currently playing IWD: EE and it really is painful), so I would like an upgrade on that, but the look and feel of it is fine. I still prefer the Infinity Engine to most engines out there.

I think I read that Bg:SoD should have some improvements in pathfinding but I don't know how much.

As for having good pathfinding, this was one feature I wanted PoE to do right and even they could not so I don't expect it ever to be fixed in InfinityEE as well :D

damage control, the bug lists were huge upon release with every single one of their titles. Speaking for IWD, it still is. IIRC the same is true for BG 1&2. And fan feedback? Noice, but also not that surprising for a company of that size. Underrail is a turn based game now only thanks to fan feedback.

I'd say the bug lists were very average for such a project and it being their first release. I played around with BGEE from day 1 and never encountered anything more than a few slight annoyances. In fact, the only thing that sticks in my head is that the camera zoom level would reset every time you transitioned to another screen, and they fixed that in the first patch.

I'd say the bug lists were very average for such a project and it being their first release. I played around with BGEE from day 1 and never encountered anything more than a few slight annoyances. In fact, the only thing that sticks in my head is that the camera zoom level would reset every time you transitioned to another screen, and they fixed that in the first patch.

The latest patch for BG:EE has 208 bug fixes alone. I don't know what you consider normal, but that's a bloody lot. It's not like they created a game or something, they just slapped together third party mods and some minor stuff of their own.

Then again, anecdotal evidence is never very reliable in these situations. There are people who claim they played Temple of Elemental Evil on release without encountering bugs.

The latest patch for BG:EE has 208 bug fixes alone. I don't know what you consider normal, but that's a bloody lot. It's not like they created a game or something, they just slapped together third party mods and some minor stuff of their own.

And? How many bugfixes do you think Bethesda could apply to Skyrim if they actually put forth a legitimate effort? My guess is that it would be a lot more than that.

Beamdog not having previously made their own game is not an indicator that their first game will be subpar. Companies like CD Projekt and Piranha Bytes made fantastic games on their first try.

And? How many bugfixes do you think Bethesda could apply to Skyrim if they actually put forth a legitimate effort? My guess is that it would be a lot more than that.

I see, you equate creating Skyrim with slapping some mods on an existing game from the 90's. Carry on.

Beamdog not having previously made their own game is not an indicator that their first game will be subpar. Companies like CD Projekt and Piranha Bytes made fantastic games on their first try.

I don't know many people who'd call the first Witcher fantastic, either. But this isn't about speculating about somebody's first endeavour, because it isn't their first endeavour. Their work has been sloppy before, I see no reason to believe this has changed.

No, you missed the point. You seemed to be implying that some bugs automatically meant their next game is going to be crap no matter what.

You don't know a lot of people who would call The Witcher fantastic? Maybe you just haven't talked to many people about it ;). It has an 8.8 average score on Metacritic from 1000+ gamers. Of course that doesn't mean anything in regards to Beamdog. It's just an example that a first product can be exceptional.

I won't waste any more time with you though, because it's obvious that you've decided to prejudge rather than wait and see.

Pleases make a post if you know David Personally saying so. I know I don't.

Best of luck to you, I am sure to get back to some grass root game can only be a good thing for you.

BTW who ever made the comment about him being gay, you do realize you are a fken moron right.

BTW who ever made the comment about him being gay, you do realize you are a fken moron right.

That was me, and I think you might have misunderstood me. I was just trying to work out why so many people had a problem with him, and suddenly it all became clear...

That was me, and I think you might have misunderstood me. I was just trying to work out why so many people had a problem with him, and suddenly it all became clear…

No it wasn't your comments Ripper, it was the other person implying..

Back
Top Bottom