Bethesda Softworks - Pete Hines Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Telegraph interviewed Bethesda's Vice President of Marketing and PR Pete Hines at E3 and talked about Fallout 4, why there is no Skyrim 2, Dishonored, E3 and other stuff.

“It’s rare to have franchises like the ones we have and to have people joking about “when is Skyrim 2 coming out?” says Hines. “The reason they say that is because generally speaking that’s what you’d be getting with another publisher in charge. They’d be spitting out a Skyrim 2 the year after or two years later. That’s just not how we view it. We’re not the sort of publisher that focusses on 'what’s our 25 titles for 2015'.

"We do smaller stuff, we don’t publish to scale, we try to publish to quality. Make sure everything we do is noteworthy. Our approach to that hasn’t differed. Here and there we might change our approach to how it’s presented but we’ve still stuck to who we are.”

And Bethesda are a publisher that certainly has a certain ‘type’ of game, focussing on adult themes and often oodles of blood. The presentation for Doom at Bethesda’s press conference came under fire somewhat for its relentless brutality. “We make mature games. We make games for grown-ups. Or at least 17 and up,” say Hines. “That is our target audience for sure.

"If you look at what we have… even BattleCry, online free-to-play but visceral, bloody, decapitations, dismemberment. We know who our audience is and we haven’t wavered from that. We make games for an older audience because that’s what our devs know. They make the games they want to play.”
More information.

Right. No Skyrim 2, but they spit out Dragonborn and Hearthfire DLC for $25.

Do you really think the shareholders wouldn't push for far more sequels, if it wasn't just for the sheer complexity and time involved with creating a huge open world that make annualized sequels impossible?

Right. No Skyrim 2, but they spit out Dragonborn and Hearthfire DLC for $25.

And both those DLCs are fun and interesting, actually. Both provide many, many hours of new locations, items, and stories in an already 200+ hours game. As far as value goes, Skyrim beats nearly every other game. So if you want to rail against bad DLC policy, turn to Capcom or Square-Enix or Warner Bros who charge $5 just for costumes and other petty nonsense. Perspective is needed.

we try to publish to quality

This is golden! Cracks me up really hard. That's probably the reason why we don't have all those unofficial patches for all their post Arena games.

No Skyrim Two because they are:

One still working on the bugs in the first one.

Or

Two waiting for Enderal The Shards of Order to come out to see how to make a game with that engine.

No Skyrim Two because they are:

One still working on the bugs in the first one.

Or

Two waiting for Enderal The Shards of Order to come out to see how to make a game with that engine.

Sad and trite.

Did you just learn the word Trite? Seems to be your new word of the day.

For the record I have over 150 hours of game play in Skyrim with out mods. I never use mods for any games but that is just my choice.

There was and still is a ton of bugs in the game and the main story line is boring at best. There is a ton of fun things to do in the game but not many of them to me had much to do with anything.

Maybe you (Rune) haven't been following Enderal but I have very closely. It looks like it could be game of the year for me anyways. Bethesda has been in contact with them on this game even.

So if my comments are Trite to you then so be it.

For the record I have over 150 hours of game play in Skyrim with out mods. I never use mods for any games but that is just my choice.

There was and still is a ton of bugs in the game and the main story line is boring at best. There is a ton of fun things to do in the game but not many of them to me had much to do with anything.

Maybe you (Rune) haven't been following Enderal but I have very closely. It looks like it could be game of the year for me anyways. Bethesda has been in contact with them on this game even.

hit a nerve huh?;)

I know what Enderal is and have seen info on it, not religiously following it mind you.

hit a nerve huh?;)

I know what Enderal is and have seen info on it, not religiously following it mind you.

Sigh! if it makes you feel better I will lie to you and say yes you hit a nerve. I am very distraught over having to explain things in simple English to you again.

me lubs Bethesda, me lubs wakef, mr.sfd, maverick and wormgod, et al.

Using the words of Ron Perlman for members on this forum.:roll:

The RPGWatch, RPGWatch never changes.

old_man.png

Now I'm off to pre-order a copy of Fallout 4.

mine-mine-its-all-mine.png

By all means though do continue to beat the dead horse about Bethesda games.

DeadHorse2_t.jpg

Last edited:
Bethesda is a privately held company. There are no shareholders.

You still have shareholders in a private company, just not publicly traded shares.

Couch, it does get incredibly tiring doesn't it.

Couch, it does get incredibly tiring doesn't it.

Yes it does Rune and it gets very tiresome at times.:(

Surly it can't possible be tiring since every time someone attacks Bethesda you guys are very ready to jump in and defend them. In fact you spend more effort than the people who attacks them. Is it because they are hitting your nerves? Why feed the "trolls" as if it were? Or you guys gluten for punishment? ;)

You guys complain about the "toxic" atmosphere in the watch but you are also to blame for it since you actively respond and also provoke the what you consider to be "trollish" behaviour.

Bethesda is a privately held company. There are no shareholders.

Either incorrect or misleading info. The mother company's shareholders can be found on Wikipedia.

150 hours in a game you didn't like? That's stamina I can't spend an hour and 1/2 in one.

To each his own but if your playing skyrim without mods your not playing skyrim IMO, if you know what I mean. Mods are a major feature for skyrim. It would be like playing a bioware game but avoiding the companions or a dark souls game and avoiding combat.

I agree, enderal might be great but alas you won't be playing it since it's a total conversion MOD.;)

Back
Top Bottom