Brexit

Personally I hope the new deal is as good as possible for both sides. I don't want UK to be punished, but of course they can't have only the benefits. Otherwise there's little economical reason to be a part of the EU.

It is as good as possible, but

- an EU-country-member living in London has now more rights than a UK citizen
(free movement, study in the EU etc.)
- trading with the EU for UK businessmen involves much more bureaucracy now
- the trading rules are made in the EU, the UK can only say 'yes' or 'no' to them

Thats the splendid new UK sovereignty.

PS: The Scots want back into the EU and away from the UK

It is as good as possible, but

- an EU-country-member living in London has now more rights than a UK citizen
(free movement, study in the EU etc.)
- trading with the EU for UK businessmen involves much more bureaucracy now
- the trading rules are made in the EU, the UK can only say 'yes' or 'no' to them

Thats the splendid new UK sovereignty.

PS: The Scots want back into the EU and away from the UK

Yes, as one writer I saw put it, the UK made the serious error of confusing sovereignty with power.

I always try to think a little bit about the historical big picture. When empires fall, they often fall all the way, yet the UK had managed to transition into a reduced but very decent position, in the second half of the 20th Century. The fifth largest economy in the world, permanent member of the Security Council, close partnership with the world's major superpower, one of the world's major banking centres, and a degree of soft power and influence that punched way above our weight.

The Brexit fiasco is highly likely to severely diminish all of that, and quite probably result in the breakup of the UK, split into much smaller and less significant countries.

The Scottish position now could be summarised as: "Brexit? Boris? Bollocks."

Yes, as one writer I saw put it, the UK made the serious error of confusing sovereignty with power.

I always try to think a little bit about the historical big picture. When empires fall, they often fall all the way, yet the UK had managed to transition into a reduced but very decent position, in the second half of the 20th Century. The fifth largest economy in the world, permanent member of the Security Council, close partnership with the world's major superpower, one of the world's major banking centres, and a degree of soft power and influence that punched way above our weight.

The Brexit fiasco is highly likely to severely diminish all of that, and quite probably result in the breakup of the UK, split into much smaller and less significant countries.

The Scottish position now could be summarised as: "Brexit? Boris? Bollocks."
As an outsider this has been my approximate thinking as well. In our current world I believe that sovereignity is more an illusion of freedom than actual freedom, since it takes away the power of the entire EU from the UK (and decreases the power of the EU as well). Less power means less freedom in the dealings with other countries, and it is a deeply interconnected world.

The EU is made up of a lot of small to medium countries with more power than we "should" have. And it diminishes greatly if we cooperate less. With Brexit, the horrible powers of the world (China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and so on) get less competition in shaping the world. It's a loss for the democratic countries of the world, I think.

That's why I hope for good cooperation going forward and as little (verbal) fighting as possible.

Welcome back, Dart. In your absence, I'm pretty sure I said you are a decent guy, which might be the easiest time to do it. :)

The Drexit.

In another thread he says he visits the watch a couple times a week. So you can still reach him. It just will be a one sided communication.

I think that next week I'll do a stop by The English Shop in Cologne and ask them how they are affected. I'm just curious.

I'm also curious how that affects the firm I'm working in, because we work for a big international car manufacturer which has also plants in the UK. We often get parts from UK to forward them to the car manufacturer.

So, how are things in th UK after Brexit? There's been some problems with transporting goods as far as I've understood it?

I don't live in the UK anymore, heck it's been years since I've even visited, but I bet things are not nearly as bad as the shenanigans happening in the US. I've heard of some internal shipping woes but I suspect those will be sorted out quickly, and I've had two mates that complained about the postal service seeming to be a bit slower these days.

So, how are things in th UK after Brexit? There's been some problems with transporting goods as far as I've understood it?

It's hard to tell at the moment, since everything is so dominated by Covid. I haven't heard about anything too serious yet, except for the Dutch confiscating people's ham sandwiches. :p

I think that Boris will attempt to conceal much of the fallout from Brexit in the mess that Covid leaves, going forward.

I haven't heard about anything too serious yet, except for the Dutch confiscating people's ham sandwiches. :p

I heard that one. I guess the driver was a bit miffed and asked if he could at least keep the bread, which has no restrictions. No dice.
steakumm-wag-finger-wagging-waving-2bVYBRf7KWhdiZB75c

Yeah we are really tough on stuff like that. You never know if it was an illegal pig.

Not being allowed to take certain foods into a country is not new. Loads of countries have that as a restriction. You are not allowed to take animal food into the EU without proper documents. So looking at the text of that regulation this is probably correct, but it obviously is very silly.

Back
Top Bottom