Broken Roads - Reviews

Yeah been reading around a bit more, I get a general feeling of 6/10 game - playable if you're into the niche, otherwise probably's going to be rough.

I'll keep an eye on it if I find a window where I have nothing else to play.

And are the problems with this game's development in spite of that funding---and likely interference---or because of it ?
Not sure where you are trying to go with this - I mean exactly what I wrote: I'm unhappy that they are charging $51 AUD for a game they developed with taxpayer's money for just 10-20 hour gameplay.

$51 AUD (without release day discount) and it only has 10-20 hours gameplay? What a waste of taxpayer's money.
$50 NZD across the ditch ($45 with discount), and our dollar is worth less than yours. :p

I am sad that the narrative isn't receiving good reviews given the pedigree of two of the writers. I think I will wait to experience it myself as not everyone has the patience to actually read these days and I wonder if it could party be that. Colin typically doesn't hand the player the story on a silver platter. The player normally has to work and piece together the pieces for themselves - this doesn't always work for some players.

They really don't have much of a pedigree.
Yeah. Planescape Torment had bad writing.... MCA was the lead writer but Colin wrote several characters and a lot of the lore/item descriptions etc. Colin also literally created a massive chunk the Planescape setting at TSR.

Yeah. Planescape Torment had bad writing....
Yeah, that was primarily Avellone's baby. Sure, other people had input, but you can't really equate that to every other person who worked on it automatically has pristine pedigree.

Yeah, that was primarily Avellone's baby. Sure, other people had input, but you can't really equate that to every other person who worked on it automatically has pristine pedigree.
Apologies, you are too quick with your responses!!! I should really take more time before I submit.

Apologies, you are too quick with your responses!!! I should really take more time before I submit.
For sure. I'll also take the opportunity to add some more to my point.

I had a look at his wikipedia, and he's always been 'one of the guys who'. There's nothing there to suggest just having him on your team is some kind of bonus.

Re: the P&P Planescape setting - he took over, in conjunction with someone else, after the original guy left. I mean, it's resume stuff, but it's not a singular achievement.

He 'worked on' some games that were successful, but, again, it's resume stuff, there's little there that's any kind of singular achievement.

His 'big chance' was Torment: Tides of Numanera, that was his singular achievement as far as exhibiting any kind of pedigree, and that game had about as much backlash as this one is getting.

Yes, some people liked Numanera. Whatever someone makes, some people somewhere will like it. But, generally speaking, it was a forgettable bomb.

You now calling him someone with established pedigree is an almost perfect example of the concept of Failing Upwards.

Yes, some people liked Numanera. Whatever someone makes, some people somewhere will like it. But, generally speaking, it was a forgettable bomb.

You now calling him someone with established pedigree is an almost perfect example of the concept of Failing Upwards.
Bomb? How so? It has positive reviews on Steam. I'm guessing you didn't like it? It made a modest profit for InXile but clearly not enough for a sequel of course. I understand that it was a fairly polarising game but it was the best game I played in 2017 (if my memory serves). It's hard to get people to read 1.2 million words with no/limited VA. And unlike BG3 those 1.2 million words are all pretty much story and not just race/class/origin/background variations.

To quote a short piece from the one of our most esteemed members (who has developed/published two games that have been discussed a fair bit on this site):
A lot of praise has been given to this title for the writing, and rightfully so. The vocabulary and structure are an elegant delight to read and makes the intimidating undertaking of reading millions of words on a monitor before completion something to actually look forward to.
My opinion is actually quite similar. The overall story and writing in T:ToN was excellent. The whole design of the Mere's and how their stories intertwine with the main narrative was brilliant. Yes, the writing in the first act was a tad heavy handed but it really does tell quite a poignant story if you put the effort in. Yes, the writing was inferior to Planescape: Torment. I can't think of many other games that tell a better written story though. I am happy to have my memory refreshed though. MotB maybe?

Now, I am not saying the writing in Broken Roads is good. I haven't played it yet. I am concerned though based on reviews I have read. I get that you don't like his writing. I do like it, and some other people do to. I wasn't trying to make a definitive statement just an opinion. Yes, I prefer CA. I love CA's writing. Colin still did some of the writing on one of my faviourite games of all time (Planescape: Torment), was responsible for some great 2nd edition sourcebooks which I have on my shelf, and was the lead writer on another game which is in my top 50 (Torment: ToN).

Last edited:
I don't know, I can't enjoy games that have writing for the sake of writing where most of what is said is just dumping pointless information on players apparently just to boast about the word count, and to me, Torment (the "modern" one) was such a case. I came into it with great hype and expectations (I loved the original Torment a couple decades ago) and quit after the 50th parraph of pointless text with endless word salads trying to be intricately composed for no good reason while managing to say absolutely nothing simultaneously. But then I don't feel the pressure to pretend I like reading in games to appear more intellectual. When I'm in the mood for reading, I find a good book.

It comes to little surprise that the writer behind Torment is the same one behind Broken Roads, perhaps that explains why it's receiving such an underwhelming reception, in good part because of the storywriting.

I really want to like this game. Will wait few years for final product. I have enough games waiting for me.

Sure? In 2017 also D:OS2 was released.
I normally play games a year after they release :) For D:OS2 it was quite some time later as I was waiting for a Definitive Edition like what we got for the first one!

Well here's me I still haven't finished many of those kickstarter RPG games.

As other games always pull me away or I lose interest.

I finished BG3 three times though.

Last edited:
IGN has a video review as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkYe69Qbgxo
Broken Roads is an ambitious RPG that can’t meet the expectations it sets for itself. It asks you to invest in an intricate morality system only to not end up making good use of it, giving you choices that don’t lead to much. A lot of this could be forgiven if the story held up, but there really isn’t much of a story to begin with, despite the philosophical angle Broken Roads tries very hard to get across. Couple this disappointing journey’s interesting but poorly executed ideas with often busted combat, and Broken Roads lives up to its name in all the wrong ways.

The Steam score is sitting at 37% now. Ouch...
Ouch. That sounds irredeemable. I wonder how they got it so wrong. Did they not listen to their playtesters or where their playtesters incompetent?

Maybe small indy crpg studios would be better off getting some of their testing pool from hardcore rpg sites like the watch and similar sites.

Back
Top Bottom