Chronicles of Vaeltaja: In Search of the Great Wanderer (in Early Access)

A new video showcasing some new stuff, such as day/night cycle, new skill system, treasure digging etc.

Two new videos, this time much, much shorter. :)

First one showcases Vaeltaja's theme song by talented Eric Matyas (https://soundimage.org/).

Second one is 4 minutes of gameplay showcasing new battle backgrounds which change depending on the time of day and area that the party is exploring, so there will be lots of them in the release version. The video ends with animated camping screen. Twin Falls also has new background music.

It's been a bit quiet on this front, but that's just because I've been so busy with the release build.
But here's little something to look forward to:
Screenshot (1030).pngScreenshot (1031).pngScreenshot (1032).pngScreenshot (1033).pngScreenshot (1053).png

That's looking really crisp and clean, nice work!
Thanks! I love crisp and clean graphics and I want games to look like games - if I want a cinematic experience I'll watch a movie. So there's not going to be any motion blur, depth of field and all that crap! :D

The first content update for Chronicles of Vaeltaja has been released today, also the game is now available at Itch.io

The update is bigger than I originally planned and patch notes can be found at Steam

Here's a short video showcasing new enemy animations (attack, damage, status effect), which will come with the next update, at least to the enemies shown in the video:

That looks really nice, likely something I'd enjoy. Have you any idea when it might exit early access status?
Thanks! Full release should happen next year, but I'm not sure when exactly. Probably not before summer.

A new update is live! This one will bring a new character class and also gives player a chance to choose gender for certain classes, hire two mages and priests (female and male), rename party members when hiring them and so on...

Patch notes can be found here:

Steam: Patch Notes

It won't be long before the next update arrives and this time it will bring some UI changes to the table: 'quick bar' to access usable tools such as lanterns, more visual inventory, new item icons and enhanced minimap frame. Some screenshots in spoiler tags.

Screenshot (1267).png
Screenshot (1266).png
Screenshot (1272).png
Screenshot (1262).png
Screenshot (1251).png
Screenshot (1252).png
Screenshot (1253).png
Screenshot (1254).png

There's a new update coming in the next ten days. It finally brings something I've wanted to add since the beginning: Combat rows for the player's party. Now it is easier to protect caster characters by placing them in the back row.

Characters 4, 5 and 6 are assigned to back row in the beginning of each battle. If front row characters die, back row characters replace them in the front row. The back row order is that the character 4 is behind character 1, 5 is behind 2 and 6 is behind 3. If fallen front row character is revived, the back row character that replaced him returns to back row.

This will mean that enemies' melee attacks (except some special skills) won't reach the back row and characters in the back row can't use melee weapons.

NEW STUFF:
- Visual inventory (with own category for keys, so they don't mix up with quest items)
- Icons for all items, equipment AND status effects
- 'Quick Bar' for tools, such as torches, lanterns, camping gear and hour glass (Wizard's Tower update will introduce a new tool in the near future)
- Row System for combat, which slightly changes combat mechanics with ranged and melee damage
- New Character Class: Conjurer. Like Mages and Priests, Conjurer has also it's own sub-classes: Summoner and Necromancer.
- New enemy Bandit Archer
- Faster mouse plugin
- Performance improvements

Here are more details about the upcoming Conjurer and Combat Rows update, which brings a new character class, visual inventory, item & status effect icons, combat rows, optional instant movement, new enemies!

Steam: Update Announcement

Conjurers and Catacombs update has been released and it brings more than I revealed earlier: new dungeon Cemetery Catacombs, new shop for Conjurers and new side-quest content.

Also in 3,5 hours (8pm EET) Chronicles of Vaeltaja will get 30% discount at Steam.

Patch notes are in spoilers.

Added

• New character class: Conjurer
  • New dungeon: Cemetery Catacombs
  • New shop: All Night Charms
  • New side-quest
  • New armor: Outlaw Armor and Fine Conjurer's Robes
  • New enemies: Bandit Archer and Outlaw Marksman
  • Visual inventory
  • Item & Status icons
  • Category for keys in the inventory
  • Quickbar for tools
  • Row system for the player's party
  • Instant movement (optional)

Tweaks/Changes

• Separated melee and ranged damage and adjusted enemy skills to these damage types
  • Changed Whips to be effective from the back row also
  • New torch animations
  • Adjusted torch and lantern lighting
  • Changed new texture to Hearth of the Gods Inn's fireplace
  • Changed faster mouse plugin
  • Optimization

Fixes

• No need to press 'forward' when trying to activate doors, npcs or levers after turning towards them
  • Possessed Tree's attacks and skills fixed
  • Hermit dialog fixed (Marsh of the Condemned)
  • Halls of Onkalo Floor 2 north-eastern door fixed
  • A bug that prevented Knight's class skill from appearing in the skill list

Known Issues

• There are some strange behaviour in settings menu, for example new Instant Movement setting has to be activated with 'space' or controller button (same goes with deactivating)
  • Some settings resets each time game is launched and for example Instant Movement must be activated every time the game is launched
    (I've located the issue behind this behaviour, but haven't been able to fix them yet.)
  • Some strange behaviour with old saves may happen, for example hired party members may appear in the Castle Town, but they can't be hired twice (that will only lead to losing coins)
  • If you're already assigned tools for hotkeys, quickbar may show old icons before assigning those tools again

Link to the announcement:
Conjurers and Catacombs update

Back
Top Bottom