Chronicles of Vaeltaja: In Search of the Great Wanderer (in Early Access)

Here's a video released couple of hours ago that I think shows the current version of CoV better than any of the videos I've made so far. It also sums quite good the reasons why I'm making the game: joy of discovering and figuring stuff out on your own pace.

I released a small surprise update just a moment ago.

PATCH NOTES

Added:

• Small hidden Catacomb dungeon in one of the secret areas of Twin Falls Forest North
  • Outlaw Armor, Outlaw Helmet, Studded Outlaw Armor and Studded Outlaw Helmet to Shadow Merchant's inventory
Fixes:
  • Combat Row System: backrow characters will now replace fallen front row characters
  • Main character learns Guide skills normally

The game is still in 30% discount at Steam

The next update is shaping up nicely and it will bring some interesting things.
For starters buildings in the Lake Road will get new wall textures and Pramean Lighthouse will finally get proper ceiling textures. The next main dungeon Wizard's Tower arrives and introduces a whole new exploration mechanic that is needed to overcome the dungeon, but it will have use in other places too. Fast travel will be introduced properly and at least three new enemies will be added to the game.

01.png
02.png
03.png
04.png

I added a proper gameplay trailer in the game's Steam page. It showcases mostly the first overworld areas, some dungeons and some things you can do (treasure digging, ore mining). In the end of the trailer there's a little glimpse of some enemies coming with the Wizard's Tower update next month. I will make an announcement of the update in few days.

I uploaded the trailer to my Youtube channel also, but the processing made the first 15 seconds of the video very low quality, so I link the Steam version here: Chronicles of Vaeltaja Gameplay Trailer

The game has improved a lot since I released it last October and the next update will add even more content, depth and improvements.

Already in the game:

• 10 character classes: Guide, Warrior, Hunter, Mage, Shadow, Priest, Witch, Knight, Witch Hunter and Conjurer.
  • Secondary classes for Mage (Warlock/Wizard), Priest (Healer/Saint) and Conjurer (Summoner/Necromancer).
  • Combat rows for player's party.
  • Several overworld areas full of exploration: Twin Falls (Castle Town, Castle Field, Riverside Northern & Southern parts, Forest Northern & Southern parts, Beach, Witch Grove), Great Forest (Northern & Southern parts), Pramea (Town, Shore, Jungle, Smuggler's Cove), Marsh of the Condemned, Lake Road.
  • 10 dungeons (some of them are optional).
  • Over 20 enemy types and few boss enemies.
  • Treasure digging & ore mining
  • Multiple main and side quests
  • Lots of secrets, puzzles and floor traps
  • Eight weapon types (daggers, swords, axes, maces, whips, staves, bows, crossbows)
  • Four armor types (light, medium, heavy, robes)
  • Other equipment such as rings, necklaces, cloaks and gloves
  • Tools such as torches and four different types of lanterns and more will be added in the coming updates
  • 'Quickbar' for tools, such as torches, lanterns, camping gear and hour glass.
  • Day/Night cycle.
  • Optional 'Instant Movement'.
Here's the Youtube version also:

Last edited:
This looks better and better with every update.
Thanks! It sure has come a long way since the release and the next update will improve it even more. There will be a whole new mechanic introduced that has something to do with the exploration.

I just released an update which brings graphical enhancements to almost every building interior in the game. There are some other changes too and details can be found at Steam: Patch Notes

The game is currently -30% at Steam Spring Sale.

Screenshot (1417).png

Now that Wizard's Tower and Interior Overhaul updates are released, I want to share some light on what's coming with the next updates I've been planning.

- There are some 'quality of life' features that I've been asked and most popular has been the quest journal. At the moment I'm looking into it and trying to figure out how much work it takes to implement it. So it is definitely coming, though I can't promise it will come with the next update, but it's high on my priority list and I've already done some groundwork for it.

- Lake Road is not fully finished yet, so it will also get more content in the coming updates.

- I'm also already working on the next main story dungeon, but it's still work in progress.

- Crafting. Those who have already solved the situation in Pramea may have noticed that Blacksmith opens his workshop in Northern Riverside and is willing to forge weapons if ore is provided. I'm not entirely happy about how it is implemented, so I'm thinking about bringing some slight changes to it to make it better.

- More Eye of an Oracle secrets. I've already planned some secret areas and other stuff all around the gameworld that will utilize the Eye of an Oracle to give more depth to exploration. I will bring these also in the coming updates.

- The last character class. I've been designing the last character class for some time now and it's proven to be quite challenging, so it might take more time than I thought it would. The last character class will be 'Shapeshifter'.

These are the things I'm currently working on and these next couple of weeks will show me what the next couple of updates will include. The next update should come on April and I will give more details in the coming weeks.

The next update will finally bring the quest journal. I've already added it to all the main quests and some side-quest, but there's still some work to be done on it (for example better quest descriptions) and of course testing. The release date for the update is still a mystery to me, but it will be released sometime next month. There's couple of WIP screenshots of the quest journal in the spoilers, also couple of pictures what the town of Pramea looks like at night after the Interior Overhaul update I released this month.

Screenshot (1421).png
Screenshot (1422).png
Screenshot (1410).png
Screenshot (1411).png

There's going to be some graphical enhancements coming to Twin Falls' areas forest textures with the next update. I will make the proper announcement of the update with some details during the next week, but here's some screenshots.

Screenshot (1465).png
Screenshot (1472).pngScreenshot (1464).png
Screenshot (1470).png
Screenshot (1471).png
Screenshot (1473).png
Screenshot (1474).png

I took some stereoscopic screenshots while testing the game last night with Nvidia 3D Vision. Google 'cross eye' technique to view these, if you're not already familiar with it.
new_textures01.jpg
new_textures02.jpg
new_textures03.jpg
new_textures04.jpg
new_textures05.jpg
new_textures06.jpg
new_textures07.jpg

Chronicles of Vaeltaja's 'Ghosts 'n Qualities' update's announcement is finally released with details and date. Quest journal, enhanced textures, new dungeon, new enemy, improved crafting/forging and more!

Steam: Update Announcement

New Features: Quest Journal and Codex

1. 'Quest Journal' can be accessed from the menu or you can use Journal (formerly known as 'Guide's Handbook') from the inventory's 'Books & Scrolls' section and place it into the 'quick bar' to access it. This way you don't have to navigate the menu every time you want to open it.
  2. There are own categories for available and completed quests and also sub-categories for the main and side quests. Each quest has a name.
  3. 'Quest Journal' has a 'Quest Tracker' that can be activated by choosing a quest from the Journal. 'Quest Tracker' will appear as a small info box on the right side of the screen and it tells you the current objective(s) of the activated quest. You can turn off the 'Quest Tracker' by deactivating the quest.
  4. 'Quest Journal' will keep track of every received quests and updates their description and objectives automatically. It also tells who gave the quest and the location where the quest was accepted.
  5. 'Quest Journal' has a 'Codex' which contains information about key bindings, character classes, stats and skills, but this is just the beginning. With the coming updates I will start to add some lore books that can be found around the kingdom. Those lore books will add 'Codex' entries which will tell more about the kingdom of Twin Falls and it's history. Each found 'Codex' entry will also give some experience points.

Re-Textured Twin Falls and Lake Road

Twin Falls' areas and Lake Road both get enhanced textures, but there's more to it than just a simple overhaul. After this update you won't be finding spruces from the Twin Falls Beach (except one) or Twin Falls Forest South. Spruces can still be found from the other areas in Twin Falls. Also the more exotic palm resembling tree can be only found in the Twin Falls Beach and Forest South. This change gives the Twin Falls' areas more distinct look and feel.

Because of the new spruce textures in Twin Falls, Lake Road's textures had to be improved too. There's also some colour changes to the trees, so Lake Road looks better than before. The update will also bring better tree sprites to both, Twin Falls and Lake Road.

These new textures and sprites will affect the battle backgrounds, which have been remade for Twin Falls' areas and Lake Road.

Additional graphical improvements contain the new Temple Guard sprites and new icons for 'Quest Journal' and crafting materials.

Re-Designed Crafting/Forging

Crafting/forging at the Blacksmith's shop, which opens after the player deals with the situation in Pramea, has gone through changes. Instead of just delivering some ore to Blacksmith and choosing an item, crafting now has it's own scene. In it you can see the list of items that can be forged and also the materials needed. This change will allow to improve crafting/forging and add new craftable items more easily in the future. But it doesn't end there: Blacksmith can also repair broken items you may come across while exploring, if you've got the right materials.

New Optional Dungeon

A one floor dungeon will be added to somewhere in one of the Twin Falls' areas, that will give some proper use for the 'Eye of an Oracle'. You will actually need the 'Eye of the Oracle' to get into the dungeon in the first place.

New Enemy: Ghost

With the new dungeon comes a new enemy: Ghost. The scariest thing about ghosts is that you can't normally see them when exploring dungeons, until you encounter one and the battle starts. But fortunately there is a way to make them visible: the 'Eye of an Oracle'. When you turn on the 'Eye of an Oracle', it will make all the ghosts near the player visible, but only for as long as it is turned on. Ghosts can also appear in other places than dungeons, so it might not be a good idea to take a stroll in the cemetery at night.

New Tool: Spirit Lantern

There's a way to protect yourself from ghosts and it is called 'Spirit Lantern'. Though it can't reveal ghosts like the 'Eye of an Oracle', it can protect the player from their attacks when turned on. If a ghost is encountered while the 'Spirit Lantern' is turned on, the ghost will vanish and a small amount of experience is granted to the party. But 'Spirit Lanterns' are not easy to come by.

Minimap Improvements

The square player icon in the minimap will be replaced with an arrow that will show the direction the party is facing. It's a small change but has a big impact and makes it easier to read the map and to navigate.

Other Changes, Improvements and Fixes

• Most NPCs will get names.
  • Some of the dialog has been improved.
  • Certain side quests have been tweaked to work better, for example the 'Hermit Quest', which can be found in the Marsh of the Condemned, is re-designed and is called 'A Grudge For Resurrection'.
  • 'Missing Scout' quest has now a proper ending, or at least the simplest solution has. There are couple of quests like this that will be extended in the future updates, but most of the side quests that can be found are already finished.
  • 'Instant Movement' has been re-designed and it finally works properly in the settings menu.
  • Day/night cycle has more variety in the lighting, for example there's now evening period before the day turns into night.
  • Optimization.

Update has been released with some surprises and here are the patch notes:

Patch Notes

Added:

• Quest Journal
  • Codex (Lore books will be added in the future updates)
  • Magic Map for dungeon mapping, shows mapping percentage
  • New optional dungeon hidden somewhere in Twin Falls areas
  • New enemy: Ghost
  • Improved crafting system
  • New textures to Twin Falls areas, Witch Grove and Lake Road
  • New battle backgrounds to Twin Falls areas, Witch Grove, Lighthouse and Lake Road
  • New tree sprites to Twin Falls areas and Lake Road
  • New Temple Guard sprites
  • Blacksmith offers new weapons to craft
  • Nine Sister Shop's second sister has arrived and she can sell or craft you some new jewelry, if you've got the materials
  • Royal Cartographer added to Castle's East Wing
  • Spirit Lantern to protect from ghosts
  • Lots of new material for crafting
  • Enemy drops: Some enemies occasionally drop crafting materials
  • New equipment to be found (weapons, armor)
  • Loot added to one secret areas: Twin Falls Forest North, Lake Road, Pramea Shore, Lighthouse, Wizard's Tower
  • Loot added: Marsh of the Condemned, Bandit Cave, Smuggler's Cave, Underground Passage
  • Names to most NPCs
  • New player icon for outdoor minimap that shows direction
  • New icon for crafting materials

Changes:

• Some minor changes to Bandit Cave and Lighthouse's basement, doesn't really change the map layout or affect the gameplay - these are for the 'Magic Map' to work correctly
  • 'Missing Scout' quest's simplest solution has an ending, others will follow later
  • 'Unknown Silk' quest has ending
  • 'Broken Sword' quest has ending
  • Re-designed 'Grudge for Resurrection' quest
  • Better day/night cycle
  • Some changes to enemies at night in some Twin Falls areas
  • 'Eye of an Oracle' drains 'energy points' slightly slower
  • Cloaks and Gloves moved into 'Equipment' menu in Magic Shops
  • Rings added to Castle Town Magic Shop
  • Curiosity Shop has Spirit Lantern (can also be found somewhere else, if you haven't found the membership card)

Fixes:

• Fixed an error that had been copied to all damage formulas, this means that combat may need some more balancing in the future, but now the formula works exactly like intended
  • In dialog choices the first option is highlighted in shops and conversations
  • Fixed some light bleeding in Bandit Cave
  • Shadows work again properly
  • Zombie in the Great Forest North walks now properly and starts the right battle
  • Smuggler's Cave jar loot fixed
  • 'Instant Movement' options menu fixed

Back
Top Bottom