• Total voters
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHaydORsLnk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqLSj3YpdQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-B52qop8c

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBEAV8_CvrE

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k6_mWMh6zjQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wO1zowfTqc

Last edited:
Well, that confirms finally the sales numbers of BG3 so far, more or less what most estimates were speaking about. Surprising to me that it sold more than Starfield, even if Starfield wasn't the greatest game, it was still a good Bethesda game, and their games usually sell like cookies.

I hope we'll know soon what they're going to do next.

Well, that confirms finally the sales numbers of BG3 so far, more or less what most estimates were speaking about. Surprising to me that it sold more than Starfield, even if Starfield wasn't the greatest game, it was still a good Bethesda game, and their games usually sell like cookies.

I hope we'll know soon what they're going to do next.
Sadly, it doesn't actually confirm it. The headline is misleading. Swen just said that BG3 has sold "almost double" what D:OS2 sold. They never announced exactly how much D:OS2 sold, but in mid-2023, Swen said that D:OS2 sold "triple" what D:OS1 sold. In 2019 at GDC, Swen said D:OS1 had sold 2.5M copies as of that point. So people are tripling 2.5M then doubling 7.5M and coming up with the 15M number. In reality though, D:OS1 would have sold a lot more copies between 2019 and 2023. So the BG3 number is definitely higher than 15M if you're taking Swen's double/triple literally, people just don't know how much higher.

Sadly, it doesn't actually confirm it. The headline is misleading. Swen just said that BG3 has sold "almost double" what D:OS2 sold. They never announced exactly how much D:OS2 sold, but in mid-2023, Swen said that D:OS2 sold "triple" what D:OS1 sold. In 2019 at GDC, Swen said D:OS1 had sold 2.5M copies as of that point. So people are tripling 2.5M then doubling 7.5M and coming up with the 15M number. In reality though, D:OS1 would have sold a lot more copies between 2019 and 2023. So the BG3 number is definitely higher than 15M if you're taking Swen's double/triple literally, people just don't know how much higher.
You're right, it's yet another misleading title. And it's only 'almost' double, so it's nothing more than a ballpark estimation.

EDIT: I always enjoy an interview with Swen, though.

Wow. Even the next RPG won't be the one that dwarfs them all (at around 14'). He really has a big plan in mind, but that's at least 8 years away, if we're optimistic about it.
Yeah. The main takeaway is that he isn't planning on retiring anytime soon, which is great news.

On the BG3 sales topic... vginsights.com estimates that D:OS1 has been selling roughly 450 copies per day for the last 3 months. (That's as far back as you can look with a free account.) If we assume that D:OS1 has been selling that same number of copies per day since spring 2019 when Swen said it had sold 2.5M copies, then it would have sold roughly 3.2M copies by the time Swen said (in summer 2023) that D:OS2 had sold triple the number of copies of D:OS1. So that would mean 9.6M copies for D:OS2 and "almost" 19.2M copies for BG3. Not that I put much faith in those numbers, but it could easily be closer to reality than the 15M in that headline.

edit: also would have to account for the number of copies that D:OS2 sold between last summer and now, and double that, so it's probably more like "almost" 20M for BG3 at that point.

Last edited:
Good point. Somewhere between 16-22M seems about the right range. Either way, the only part of it that matters to me is that they will have the funding and the incentive to keep working on games the way they do.

Seeing a great game like Dragon's Dogma 2 get muddled by dumb policies and decisions that have nothing to do with the quality of the game itself makes it very clear to me that companies which work the way Larian does must be praised and cherished. Hopefully, other companies will take them as a role model to follow, seeing that's how you earn both the money and the love of your audience, as well as the prestige to make your mark in the history of videogames.

They've been the most consistently good RPG developer since Divine Divinity was released in 2002. (Though I suppose you need to appreciate their sense of humor and other idiosyncrasies, which I do, but many don't.) Nobody's really decided to follow their lead yet, so I'm not sure it's going to be a thing sadly :LOL:

Yeah. The main takeaway is that he isn't planning on retiring anytime soon, which is great news.
Yes, that's great. I also liked what he had to say about contingency and planning. He's taking a risk by doing something new and more ambitious each time, but he knows when to slow down and seems to have learned a lot from his early days.

Even if I criticized some aspects of BG3, it's by far my favourite CEO and developer company in the gaming industry, for the good games, the spirit, their methodology, and their core values. A rare combination.

On the BG3 sales topic... vginsights.com estimates that D:OS1 has been selling roughly 450 copies per day for the last 3 months. (That's as far back as you can look with a free account.) If we assume that D:OS1 has been selling that same number of copies per day since spring 2019 when Swen said it had sold 2.5M copies, then it would have sold roughly 3.2M copies by the time Swen said (in summer 2023) that D:OS2 had sold triple the number of copies of D:OS1. So that would mean 9.6M copies for D:OS2 and "almost" 19.2M copies for BG3. Not that I put much faith in those numbers, but it could easily be closer to reality than the 15M in that headline.

edit: also would have to account for the number of copies that D:OS2 sold between last summer and now, and double that, so it's probably more like "almost" 20M for BG3 at that point.
Maybe. It also depends how recent the numbers he had in mind were or what comparison he was making, I suppose. Maybe we'll know the actual numbers at some point, but I don't really feel like speculating. Those websites can be very off the mark, too.

It's definitely very good for that game genre.

Back
Top Bottom