Diablo 3 - Patch 1.04 Released

aries100

SasqWatch
Blizzard has released patch 1.04 for this game. A link to the full patch notes and changelog can be found here.
A quote, though, on the changes to the Legendary Items:
Legendary Item Improvements
Significant changes have been made to Legendary items to make them more powerful, more memorable, and ultimately more fun to use. Through the addition of spell procs, many Legendary items now have a chance to activate rare and unique abilities, such as summoning an angel to fight with you, conjuring an icy projectile, or igniting the very ground you walk on. Legendary items in 1.0.4 are also far and away more powerful, possessing higher damage and affix values than their predecessors. In addition, many Legendary items have had visual effects added to their original models, giving them a distinct and detailed flair. (Please note that these changes will only impact Legendary items that drop after the patch 1.0.4.)
More information.

Interested what DArtagnan feels about the game after this patch, since that was one of his biggest complaints if I recall, but I have a feeling he won't be jumping back in soon...

To be frank, that patch sounds fantastic. They did pretty much exactly what we asked for in terms of legendary/set items - and I would never have believed such a fast and thorough change would come so soon, if at all.

Everything about that patch smacks of a hard lesson learned, and I'd be praising the developers right now if they hadn't made that unfortunate FB travesty happen.

To be frank, that patch sounds fantastic. They did pretty much exactly what we asked for in terms of legendary/set items - and I would never have believed such a fast and thorough change would come so soon, if at all.

Everything about that patch smacks of a hard lesson learned, and I'd be praising the developers right now if they hadn't made that unfortunate FB travesty happen.

Unfortunate FB travesty?

Have you played yet? I did, for 5 minutes, then got bored again. I am writing this one off entirely.

"Unfortunate FB travesty? "

1) Do a news search, for the past week, on the term, "fuck that loser".
2) Grab the popcorn.

Unfortunate FB travesty?

You must live under a rock then. David Brevik shared his opinion of Diablo 3 and some of the main development team went on facebook and basally made unprofessional comments.

These comments would usually lead to you getting fired but instead all they did is apologize. We can all go fuck our self since were losers who don't like there game.

The comments have since been deleted but screenshots and videos still exist to show there stupidity.

Oh, *that*. I guess I just don't really care enough about drama to have that influence my opinion of the game or even the developers. So they are passionate about their work and they are human. Good for them.

Oh, *that*. I guess I just don't really care enough about drama to have that influence my opinion of the game or even the developers. So they are passionate about their work and they are human. Good for them.

Jay Wilson also just apologized publically :)

It seems he's less forgiving of himself than you are. Then again, you're well known for letting anything go and preferring no consequences for anything developers do ;)

This patch does little to raise my enthusiasm for the game. Still waiting for Torchlight 2.

It seems he's less forgiving of himself than you are. Then again, you're well known for letting anything go and preferring no consequences for anything developers do ;)

Truer words were never spoken. He always defends the developer in his arguments.:biggrin: Then again I'm a jackass who loves to pick on them.:blush:

Truer words were never spoken. He always defends the developer in his arguments.:biggrin: Then again I'm a jackass who loves to pick on them.:blush:

Hehe, it probably helps that I don't know these people. If my friend or ex-co-worker publicly told me to fuck off and called me a loser, maybe I'd react differently. ;)

Then again, my friend psychically attacked me over the weekend and later apologized, and I'm working towards getting over that as well.

My time in life is too important to let negativity like that get in my way.
(Of course, I often don't practice what I preach, neither, but I'm human, too. ;))

On Diablo 3 then, I haven't played it in months (just came back from holiday in the USA—bought a PS3 game at Gamestop for the first time in my life, ha!) and I never get very far in the first place, so I doubt this patch will make a huge difference for me.

Hehe, it probably helps that I don't know these people. If my friend or ex-co-worker publicly told me to fuck off and called me a loser, maybe I'd react differently. ;)

Then again, my friend psychically attacked me over the weekend and later apologized, and I'm working towards getting over that as well.

My time in life is too important to let negativity like that get in my way.
(Of course, I often don't practice what I preach, neither, but I'm human, too. ;))

On Diablo 3 then, I haven't played it in months (just came back from holiday in the USA—bought a PS3 game at Gamestop for the first time in my life, ha!) and I never get very far in the first place, so I doubt this patch will make a huge difference for me.

Negativity isn't an illusion that goes away because you want it to :)

It should be addressed like everything else, unless you want to accumulate things internally until you finally combust. It happens ;)

Oh, trust me, I know a lot of people who prefer not to take things seriously and just smile it away. But I can't say I've seen much of that result in long-term happiness.

Just saying....

Jay Wilson also just apologized publically :)

He does seem to say the right things. He mentions most if not all of the problems people seem to have, excepting the story (and always online component, but meh).

It makes me wonder how Diablo 3 1.0.4 stacks up to the very first release of Diablo 2, before the mountain of patches that improved it (I played it late).

He does seem to say the right things. He mentions most if not all of the problems people seem to have, excepting the story (and always online component, but meh).

It makes me wonder how Diablo 3 1.0.4 stacks up to the very first release of Diablo 2, before the mountain of patches that improved it (I played it late).

Well, the big thing he's not mentioning - and which I fear they will never implement - is proper replayability.

That's the last big problem with D3 when compared to the best in the genre.

However, all the other things sound really, really good - and even without replayability - the game could be a fantastic Diablo.

Negativity isn't an illusion that goes away because you want it to :)

It should be addressed like everything else, unless you want to accumulate things internally until you finally combust. It happens ;)

Oh, trust me, I know a lot of people who prefer not to take things seriously and just smile it away. But I can't say I've seen much of that result in long-term happiness.

Just saying….

I assure you that it's completely possible to decide internally how to think about stuff like this and therefore how you feel about it, if it's rational. And getting upset about some guy saying bad stuff about some other guy because he was angry on the internet and letting that ruin my fun with a game or my opinion of a game studio as a whole, is, most assuredly, irrational. :)

I assure you that it's completely possible to decide internally how to think about stuff like this and therefore how you feel about it, if it's rational. And getting upset about some guy saying bad stuff about some other guy because he was angry on the internet and letting that ruin my fun with a game or my opinion of a game studio as a whole, is, most assuredly, irrational. :)

Are you suggesting I'm - in any way - upset because I think it was a weak response and that the person behind it doesn't deserve praise for making it?

In fact, he deserves to be told that it was a weak response :)

Has nothing to do with my opinion of the studio or the person as a whole.

Again, in my mind - we're all equal and we're all equally capable of being stupid and making mistakes. But it's not healthy to ignore them.

Well, the big thing he's not mentioning - and which I fear they will never implement - is proper replayability.

That's the last big problem with D3 when compared to the best in the genre.

However, all the other things sound really, really good - and even without replayability - the game could be a fantastic Diablo.

Well, he kinda does.

Jay Wilson said:
Part of the problem, however, is not just item drops, but the variety of things to do within the game. Many of you have stated that there needs to be more to the game than just the item hunt, and we agree completely. The Paragon system is a step in the right direction, giving meta-progress for your time in the game, but it does little to address the variety of activities you can do while playing. I don't think there’s a silver-bullet solution to this problem, but I do think we can make this aspect of the game better, and as such we're planning more than just PvP for the next major patch.

While he's not specifically describing it as rolling an alt, starting over (which is what I think you mean), adding more variety to gameplay does improve replayability, right?

Are you suggesting I'm - in any way - upset because I think it was a weak response and that the person behind it doesn't deserve praise for making it?

In fact, he deserves to be told that it was a weak response :)

Wasn't talking about you specifically. I was talking about the shit storm because somebody said "fuck that loser" to somebody else on the internet and how *some* people let that affect their lives in some way. I'm not that interested in his apology or whether it is weak as much as the way he talked about the game in that post. I couldn't care less that he apologized. ;) His plans for the future of the game, however, does affect me in some way.

Again, in my mind - we're all equal and we're all equally capable of being stupid and making mistakes. But it's not healthy to ignore them.

It is, because it does not affect me in the least. Why would I not ignore him, or at least have it leave me cold?

While he's not specifically describing it as rolling an alt, starting over (which is what I think you mean), adding more variety to gameplay does improve replayability, right?

Nope, it does not - not really. It means the game is more fun while you're playing it - but once you've exhausted what's there, it does little to get you back.

A totally integral part of the original Diablos was always that you could get back to them again and again. It's just such an important part of the rogue-like.

I find it utterly amazing that a team like that chose to trust the short-term iterative process over basic common sense.

I mean, I like the flexibility of the skill system - and I have very little doubt that most people would prefer that system if they didn't understand the genre or had only played it short-term.

But the psychological problem of it is that it's overexposure and oversaturation.

It's kinda like being a kid at christmas who gets 50 fantastic presents at once, instead of 2 or 3.

You know? I mean, 50 would be more than ten times better, logically.

Only it's not - because we have a pleasure threshold built into us - as human beings. When there's too much to choose from, the impact is much weaker than if you spread out the choices.

It's the kind of basic psychology that a truly competent ARPG designer would understand.

It is, because it does not affect me in the least. Why would I not ignore him, or at least have it leave me cold?

I'm not talking about you, but him and his mistake.

When you point out obvious mistakes for other people, you're actually helping them - not hurting them.

Naturally, it can be hard to appreciate for the person making the mistake - but eventually, most people come around when it's obvious enough.

In this case, he really needed to be told.

Back
Top Bottom