DA:D Dragon Age: Dreadwolf News

Dragon Age: Dreadwolf
I don't care if it's an action RPG or not. I like a lot of action RPGs, along with turn based, RtwP, etc.

I do care if it's good, and I don't think it'll be good. Way too much writing on the wall with this one.

The guard has well and truly changed, it seems. Bioware is a disaster. Bethesda is treading water and Starfield, while imo not at all bad, didn't make the expected splash. Avowed looks like a dud (hopefully not, but that's the impression I get), which isn't going to be good for Obsidian.
100% agree were living in the Twilight Zone. As some of the best and well known developers are at bat and striking out. Hopefully things improve for them all in the future.

Avowed for sure looks like a dud but I enjoyed Outer Worlds and it looks to be the same.

Of course thank you for targeting me twice on two different threads today.:handshake:

Your input will be considered and then quickly forgotten as soon as I type this reply.

Wow. :p

I didn't "target" you, I responded to you. That's what we do on these things called "message forums".

If you can't handle debate or discussion maybe you shouldn't post your opinions.

Sure looks like the ignore option is the next step good day. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway there should be a big event or reveal for this game sometime this year.
Earlier this year, reports of Dragon Age: Dreadwolf did the rounds, complete with claims that it would finally be releasing in 2024. And now, Eurogamer is backing that up.
Am I the only one thinking it's a scaffolding of misinterpretations?
1) The game was believed to release during EA's fiscal year 2025, so Q1 2025 at the latest (not 2024).
2) It's only believed to release from a random poster who claimed it on Twitter (nothing remotely offical).
3) Eurogamer said Q1 2025 (not 2024).

If I recall there were rumors last year as well about the summer gaming fest but all that was shared was a small blog post, and a short CGI trailer. Hopefully this year is better.

Anyway at the rate of development 2025 and maybe 2026 is the safe bet for release.

Doubt it as EA forced BioWare to adopt the Frostbite Engine, and it took them years to adapt. They could switch to the latest Epic Engine as they used it for Mass Effect.

Are you sure as reports and post mortem articles talked about how Frostbite was not well received. It pushed back development as it needed to be retooled for RPGs.

Nowadays they praise the engine and it looks a lot better in those screenshots.

Last edited:
Are you sure as reports and post mortem articles talked about how Frostbite was not well received. It pushed back development as it needed to retooled for RPGs.

Nowadays they praise the engine and it looks a lot better in those screenshots.
From what I remember, it was a deliberated choice from BioWare, but I'm not sure in which book I read that. I've read that from several sources, and there's online stuff about it, too, like here. It wasn't painless, for sure, and not only for DA:I, I think.

From what I remember, it was a deliberated choice from BioWare, but I'm not sure in which book I read that. I've read that from several sources, and there's online stuff about it, too, like

That was my impression too, from articles and interviews I have read. In one interview, a developer said that adopting Frostbite was a relief since prior to that they had a bunch of different engines they were using.

Alright then guess I'm wrong again. Nothing new apparently. 🤷‍♂️

I was basing my reply on Andromeda and Inquisition postmortem article and videos.

Funny how opinions differ when you ask different employees. Anyway as usual I could have worded that differently. The engine delayed development and caused headaches.

As it wasn't meant to make RPGs especially with Inquisition.

Last edited:
Alright then guess I'm wrong again. Nothing new apparently. 🤷‍♂️

I was basing my reply on Andromeda and Inquisition postmortem article and videos.

Funny how opinions differ when you ask different employees. Anyway as usual I could have worded that differently. The engine delayed development and caused headaches.

As it wasn't meant to make RPGs especially with Inquisition.
I'm only saying BioWare made the decision, not that they liked it. :)

That decision obviously caused a lot of problems, and I'm sure developers didn't enjoy the ride. As you said, it wasn't meant for that. I think the 3rd-person view in particular wasn't well supported (Inquisition), and they were missing tools.

What happened was, BioWare wanted to change their old engine, and after discussing with EA, they thought the Frostbite engine would be ideal. There were supposed to get a feel of it with a prototype for Blackfoot, the codename for what should have been a F2P MP game instead of what Inquisition would finally come to be. But it was cancelled because the team was too small for that, and during the development of Inquisition, the problems started piling up.

I can understand how that can happen. Most of the time, when I had or saw problems in a project, it was due to a 3rd-party dependency we had to use. Happens all the time, and you never have enough time to anticipate all those problems because the deadline is breathing down your neck.

Here's a small excerpt of Blood, Sweat, and Pixels, which explains the Frostbite issue in details (that's where I'd first read about it). A great book if you like reading about historical cases in the gaming industry.

Even before finishing Dragon Age 2, Aaryn Flynn and Mark Darrah were looking for a new engine for their fantasy franchise. Their in-house game engine, Eclipse, felt creaky and obsolete for the type of gorgeous high-end games they hoped to make. Basic cinematic effects, like lens flares, were impossible for Eclipse to handle. “Graphically, it wasn’t fully featured,” Darrah said. “It was getting long in the tooth from that perspective.”

On top of that, the Mass Effect series used the third-party Unreal Engine, which made it difficult for the two BioWare teams to collaborate. Basic tasks like rendering a 3-D model required a totally different process on Eclipse than they did on Unreal. “Our technology strategy was just a mess,” said Flynn. “Every time we’d start a new game, people would say, ‘Oh, we should just pick a new engine.’”

Flynn and Darrah powwowed with one of their bosses, EA executive Patrick Söderlund, and came back with a solution: the Frostbite engine, which the EA-owned studio DICE, in Sweden, had developed for its Battlefield games. Although nobody had ever used Frostbite to make RPGs, Flynn and Darrah found it appealing for a few reasons. It was powerful, for one. DICE had a team of engineers who worked full-time on Frostbite’s graphic capabilities, beefing up the visual effects that made, for example, trees sway in the wind. Because this was the video game industry, they also spent a lot of time making it look pretty to blow things up. The other big advantage of Frostbite was that EA owned it. If BioWare started developing all its games on the Frostbite engine, it could share technology with its sister studios, borrowing tools from other EA-owned developers like Visceral (Dead Space) or Criterion (Need for Speed) whenever those companies learned cool new tricks for enhancing facial capture or making it look even prettier to blow things up.

The other big advantage of Frostbite was that EA owned it. If BioWare started developing all its games on the Frostbite engine, it could share technology with its sister studios, borrowing tools from other EA-owned developers like Visceral (Dead Space) or Criterion (Need for Speed) whenever those companies learned cool new tricks for enhancing facial capture or making it look even prettier to blow things up.

In the fall of 2010, as the bulk of the Dragon Age team was finishing up DA2, Mark Darrah pulled together a small group to work on a prototype they called Blackfoot. This prototype had two major goals: to start getting a feel for the Frostbite engine, and to make a free-to-play multiplayer game set in the Dragon Age universe. The latter never happened, and after a few months Blackfoot fizzled, hinting at bigger challenges to come. “It wasn’t making enough progress, ultimately because its team was too small,” Darrah said. “Frostbite’s a hard engine to make progress with if your team is too small. It takes a certain number of people to just keep it on.”

By the end of 2011, with both Blackfoot and the Dragon Age 2 expansion pack canceled, Darrah had a substantial team available to start working on BioWare’s next big game. They resurfaced the old Inquisition idea and began to talk about what a Dragon Age 3 might look like on Frostbite. By 2012 they had a plan in place. Dragon Age 3: Inquisition (which later ditched the “3”) would be an open-world RPG, inspired heavily by Bethesda’s smash hit Skyrim. It would take place all across new areas of Dragon Age’s world, and it would hit all the beats that Dragon Age 2 couldn’t. “My secret mission was to shock and awe the players with the massive amounts of content,” said Matt Goldman, the art director. “People were complaining, ‘Oh there wasn’t enough in Dragon Age 2.’ OK, you’re not going to say that. At the end of Inquisition, I actually want people to go, ‘Oh god, not [another] level.’”

[...]

Ambitions were piling up. This was to be BioWare’s first 3-D open-world game and their first game on Frostbite, an engine that had never been used to make RPGs. It needed to be made in roughly two years, it needed to ship on five platforms, and, oh yeah, it needed to help restore the reputation of a studio that had been beaten up pretty badly. “Basically we had to do new consoles, a new engine, new gameplay, build the hugest game that we’ve ever made, and build it to a higher standard than we ever did,” said Matt Goldman. “With tools that don’t exist.”

If an engine is like a car factory, then in 2012, as Inquisition entered development, the Frostbite engine was like a car factory without the proper assembly lines. Before Dragon Age: Inquisition, developers at EA had used Frostbite mostly to make first-person shooters like Battlefield and Medal of Honor. Frostbite’s engineers had never built tools that would, say, make the main character visible to the player. Why would they need to? In first-person shooters, you see through the character’s eyes. Your body consists of disembodied hands, a gun, and, if you’re really lucky, some legs. Battlefield didn’t need RPG stats, magical spells, or even save systems—the campaign kept track of your progress with automatic checkpoints. As a result, Frostbite couldn’t create any of those things.

“It was an engine that was designed to build shooters,” said Darrah. “We had to build everything on top of it.” At first, the Dragon Age team underestimated just how much work this would be. “Characters need to move and walk and talk and put on swords, and those swords need to do damage when you swing them, and you need to be able to press a button to swing them,” said Mike Laidlaw. Frostbite could do some of that, Laidlaw added, but not all of it.

Schreier, Jason. Blood, Sweat, and Pixels (pp. 125-127). Harper Paperbacks. Kindle Edition.

More good info and don't mind me I'm in a bad mood right now over personal reasons.:coffee:

I don't know for sure either way. But it sounds like at least some of the developers were happy about not having to learn a new engine for every game they worked on.

Back
Top Bottom