Dragon Age: Inquisition - PC Gameplay

I think it would be funny to make a video/short about the guy in RPGs that gets no mention even though he apparently works his ass off keeping caves, dungeons, passages, etc lit. I always wondered who ignites all the torches, changes out the 50 billion candles, stokes all the fire pots that light our path to glory…

Hah, I've always wondered about this. Sometimes it even annoys me a bit - visiting an ancient dungeon that has been unexplored for centuries, and the bloody lights are on..?

…am I the only one that doesn't mind the flashy visuals? o_O

I don't mind. In fact, I actually think it's better with too much than too little when it comes to visuals and feedback. For example, I prefer the visuals in DA: I over PoE, because at least in DA: I there's no confusion about who's doing what. I have seen screenshots of the tactical view, and it should be considerably less flashy from that angle, but still flashy enough to actually let us know what's going on.

Yeah, the mechanics and combat in ME3 definately seemed to produce less slog-like combat. So hey, they got that right-ish at least I guess? I think it was because they made the abilities with enhanced effectiveness against certain types of hit-points more dramatic so that you could more quickly bring down enemies that were way too bullet spongy and chore-like in ME2.

That, and it seemed like there was more variety to the encounters in ME3. I felt like I was just fighting the same enemies over and over again in ME2. The enemies in ME3 also used more tactics.

I agree the combat drag started in ME 2, I just found it much more noticeable in ME 3. And if memory serves, ME 2 was the first time they gave the option to choose how to play.

That, and it seemed like there was more variety to the encounters in ME3. I felt like I was just fighting the same enemies over and over again in ME2. The enemies in ME3 also used more tactics.

Indeed, ME3 was definitely a vast improvement compared to ME2. ME2 basically only has one viable tactic:
- Sit behind a crate, wait for ability cooldowns, and use them when ready. Fire a gun from time to time. There are only two exceptions to this rule:
1) Husks. They actually charge, so sitting behind a crate doesn't work.
2) Play a Vanguard. They can swoosh around a bit and do some close range combat.

ME3 actually has variation, both in terms of enemies and environment. There's also a much better system for weapons - you can choose your own weapons, depending on how much of a bonus you want to your ability cooldowns.

Hah, I've always wondered about this. Sometimes it even annoys me a bit - visiting an ancient dungeon that has been unexplored for centuries, and the bloody lights are on..?

This is one of those small things which I find quite annoying from time to time…

Arx Fatalis must be the only game where player has to light of torches when exploring abandoned dungeons and tombs. Its a small wonder that no other developer has put such feature in their game.

Arx Fatalis felt so immersive because of those small details.

I wouldn't enjoy playing in pitch black dungeons for hours and hours. I've tried some of the darkness mods for Skyrim, and I always find myself getting rid of them.

I guess I don't really care who lights the torches - as long as I don't have to do it ;)

This is one of those small things which I find quite annoying from time to time…
Arx Fatalis must be the only game where player has to light of torches when exploring abandoned dungeons and tombs. Its a small wonder that no other developer has put such feature in their game.
You forgot the games that Arx was inspired by: the Ultima Underworlds. :)
But I agree, it's a nice touch when done well. Dark Souls has a key section like this within the Tomb of the Giants where wielding light plays a critical key role not only in keeping the player alive, but in creating suspense, anticipation and wonder during exploration. Unfortunately, I can't really see myself having this kind of feeling or experience in a Bioware game anymore. I can't see them ever topping Durlag's Tower for dungeon design.

One other little thing: For all of the footage we've seen of the game, nothing has particularly struck me as being strongly "open world", at least not in the vein of the TES or Gothic. We've not really seen many players go off the beaten paths.

I also think the inventory GUI and interface in general appear to be highly derivative of what we saw in the Witcher 2. From the patterned shapes in the skill tree, to the written list of items; it's very similar.

I also agree with the poster who proposed an option to turn off the "pretty" flashiness. Nothing is more hideously distracting than psychedelic superficiality frothing all over the place, especially at the current combat speed.

Back
Top Bottom