Drakensang - Review @ IGN

I have thought about it and came to the conclusion that my way of perceiving my environment is quite different from that of most people, because I'm fairly detail-oriented. I notice and look at many more details than other people do.

As far as I know, this is a trait HSPs have in common.

I have thought about it and came to the conclusion that my way of perceiving my environment is quite different from that of most people, because I'm fairly detail-oriented. I notice and look at many more details than other people do.

As far as I know, this is a trait HSPs have in common.

What's HSP? Hyper-sensible persons?

What's HSP? Hyper-sensible persons?

Close. Highly sensitive persons.

This is one of the main onformation pages about it: http://www.hsperson.com/
The Wikipedia article isn't imho good at all. I hesitate to call it a "mess", but it definitively needs some rewriting, although some core elements are right.

yeah I use the tea, just never got that you had to put it in the quick bar.

Please tell me guys part two using the same engine is in the works? I'm really digging this one, alot more then NWN2 for some reason)I have started that game so many times and never finished it...I have a bit of ADD when playing rpg's)

Awesome this game was a great first step.

Hav you been in that first cathedral where you have to answer his questions? Didn't it just feel right?

Please tell me guys part two using the same engine is in the works? I'm really digging this one, alot more then NWN2 for some reason)I have started that game so many times and never finished it...I have a bit of ADD when playing rpg's)

Completely agree - love, love, love this game.

How does Drakensang compare to Baldur's Gate/ IWD/ Planescape? I couldn't really get a feel for it from just playing the demo.

Very early comments, so take these with a grain of salt...

So far, Baldur's Gate (the original) seems a fair comparison but the 3D engine still makes is feel more NWN2, to me. It definitely doesn't have the originality, vision or philosophical weight of PS:T (but little does), so get that out of the way. Not as combat heavy as IWD, but the art and music aren't as striking, either.

Unlike NWN2, it has a really nice interface and the game doesn't generally get in the way - but like NWN2, it lacks formations and I haven't quite found the same tactical balance as the IE games. The rules (what I can decipher) seem more balanced and interesting than D&D -- it's really nice to have something different.

It feels a little whimsical - I rather like the "dark and gritty" setting of The Witcher or the more complex writing of Black Isle / Obsidian but this works nicely as a straight-up fantasy adventure that ends up feeling different, despite the rather cliche tropes.

it does get serious...you do investigate some murders....seems to be a good plot there.

What is the problem people have with barrels? Its no different then finding a chest in the old games...no one complained then. Hell, at least they are not full of stat changing liquid ;)

The "cure poison" discussion has been moved to the Drakensang forum.

I'm not trying to criticise the plot but there is a...naivete? in the writing that keeps the atmosphere lighter than, say, a typical Obsidian game. You might be investigating murders but your only responses when you first encounter them, for example, are (paraphrasing) Gosh! How Terrible!! A murder?!

It might change later but it isn't "dark" - maybe only just "serious" - yet. Not a criticism (despite my personal taste being different) - it's just a certain style.

Not only naivety. There's also a slight comedy element and parts of the writing seem to be influenced by fairy tales.

Of course the game never gets dark. Even the villains aren't as cruel as in other games. ;)
It's Drakensang's style. And I guess also the DSA style in general.

TDE took a turn into the dark when some black cults finally got what they wanted and the ancient mage (and demi-God) Borbarad. Significant parts of Aventuria got under the control of undead dragons, witches, demon summoners, etc. All the modules playing in these regions are very dark and gritty. I would say that Drakensang takes the naivety of earlier modules. I do agree that the style works well and, despite and because the cliches, is rather unique for a contemporary CRPG.

I assume that the announced TDE action-rpg will be much darker.

I'm not trying to criticise the plot but there is a...naivete?

I wouldn't say naivete is the right word. TDE is light-hearted fantasy, always has been (recent "gritty" modules not withstanding). When it works, it's definitely not a bad thing, we've seen enough "omfg so gritty" games lately.

What is the problem people have with barrels? Its no different then finding a chest in the old games...no one complained then.

It's MUCH different imo. I don't think anyone ever went around smashing barrels to splinters to grab a trinket, it's just plain silly. It's as if the Devs were just too lazy to implement containers in a more realistic way.

Back
Top Bottom