Duke Nukem Forever demo...

It baffles me to to see all the low scores from all the reviews. I would give it a 6 or 7 its nothing new but still a solid game.

I'm not sure the problem is that reviewers take the game seriously, but that they have a different sense of humor than the developers did.

Personally, I don't mind the humor - so much as the pathetic failure to adapt ancient gameplay to modern times. Either go with ancient or go with modern.

The two don't mix well unless you smooth out the seams.

I'm not sure the problem is that reviewers take the game seriously, but that they have a different sense of humor than the developers did.

As far as the DN humor goes, I believe that it just doesn't work as well today as it did back then.

When Duke3D was released it was the perfect time for The Duke as a kind of anti-hero to all the heroes in other games and in the movies of the time. The game was hilariously politically incorrect during a time when it was extremely rare to have "abnormal" games.

But nowadays the kids have played GTA, SoF, Postal, Kingpin etc. and they have watched stuff like MTV Jackass on TV and let's not even get started on YouTube videos and all that garbage you can find on the Intertubes today.

Duke Nukem was a good joke at its time but like any good joke you can't tell it twice. It's not going to have the same effect on the audience. And as we just explored, this is even more true if the joke is firmly embedded into the pop culture of its time.
The Duke has run his time. He needs to retire and not become an embarrassment like his real life buddies Sly and Arnie (yeah "great" idea, Arnie, to consider Terminator 4 :rolleyes:)

The humor isn't the problem. The problem is that the game (from what I've seen) just plain sucks compared to the original.

dart - Im just wondering what "pathetic failure to adapt ancient gameplay to modern times. " youre referencing. Any specifics? No mouse-aim or something?

Not starting shit, just genuinely curious

dart - Im just wondering what "pathetic failure to adapt ancient gameplay to modern times. " youre referencing. Any specifics? No mouse-aim or something?

Not starting shit, just genuinely curious

Well, I think the strength of the original game was largely the intricate level design. Kinda like System Shock, though of course in a more simple gameplay embrace.

The original Duke3D (from memory) had HUGE expansive levels - which made exploration worthwhile - and it didn't use the humor as the primary drive, as much as it was just entertaining and fitting underpinning for the basic shooter/exploration gameplay.

From what I've seen of Duke Forever, they kept certain aspects of the first game, but they utterly failed to modernize OR stick to their guns. A succesful modernization would entail humor fitting for the times, and I would probably have included a simplistic level-up system to keep it interesting. I wouldn't have relied on ancient bang-bang gameplay, because shooters have evolved from that point. You need a lot more to impress people these days than interactive toilet paper.

The other approach, and the more realistic one, would be to simply play on the nostalgia factor to its fullest extent. Completely ignore modern concepts like 2-weapon limits and regenerating health, and make it truly challenging and unforgiving. Still keeping the level design and not overplaying the humor.

Well, that's what I would have done anyway.

Not that I think the concept of a modern Duke3D game is a good one to begin with.

All the original levels were not hugely expensive though. And its still duke if your having fun.

The most respected gaming journalist in Finland with experience of 25 years said he likes duke. Now I dont take the mans word as law but I liked the demo of duke. It wasnt like original but it was fun. And thats what all matters.

Well, I think the strength of the original game was largely the intricate level design.

The level size -or actually the openness of the levels and not just the sheer size- was certainly remarkable but if memory serves me right then Duke3D really stood out because of its interactivity.
Interactivity was generally a buzzword of the mid 90s multimedia landscape (remember interactive movies like 'Under A Killing Moon' anyone?) and for a first person shooter, Duke3D offered a whole new level of interaction with the game world.
In other shooters you could push a button here and pull a lever there but in Duke3D you could destroy (parts of) the environment, you could push the button on a coke machine and get an actual coke from the damn machine, you could look at yourself in the mirror and shoot the mirror to pieces if you wanted to, you could shrink your enemies and trample them to death, you could wave $$$ at hookers and make them flash their titties, ... heck, you could do nothing at all and The Duke would still do or say cool things ("What you waiting for? X-mas?" ... *Duke impatiently locks and loads weapon* ... "Come get some!").

That level of interactivity and reactivity was unheard of before Duke3D and at least as far as I can recall it was the major strength of the game.

Some of them certainly did not get it. Watch the giantbomb quicklook for instance. At one point they remark that no one calls women babes anymore. At another point they say Duke would better if he were treated as a parody.

Obviously they didn't get it.

I have a feeling that I'll either totally love or hate this game, I'll wait til it's 5.oo.

Thx for the infos, bros

I finally started playing the full game yesterday, and I'm about 1/2 through right now.

It's actually not *that* bad. I was expecting much worse, but I have to agree with Couchpotato, DoctorNarrative, and zakhal. It's fun for what it is.

I'm half way through Duke Nukem Forever. Not bad at all. Pure trash, outdated graphics, but also a lot of diversity and jouvenile jokes. So far I don't see what's fundamentally wrong with DNF. A good buy for 5 bucks.

I'm half way through Duke Nukem Forever. Not bad at all. Pure trash, outdated graphics, but also a lot of diversity and jouvenile jokes. So far I don't see what's fundamentally wrong with DNF. A good buy for 5 bucks.

I think the problem is development time versus the result.

Sure, but the actual result is better than average.

Back
Top Bottom