Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction - Will the RPG Exist?

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
3DRealms and Interceptor Entertainment are working on Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, which is said to be an action RPG. Then again it might never be realized as Gearbox has filed a lawsuit against 3D Realms to stop it from being made, or to become part of the benefits. The game's site AllOutOfGum was apparently featuring a counter that counted back to the 25th of February, but at the moment there is no counter anymore. Here is the article from Joystick with more details:

Gearbox Software filed a lawsuit against 3D Realms (3DR) and Interceptor Entertainment, accusing the studios of unauthorized use of the Duke Nukem property and alleging violation of trademarks held by Gearbox. The lawsuit points to 3D Realms' recent reveal of Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, which features a teaser site with a timer counting down to February 25.

"Apparently, after selling its Duke Nukem IP rights to Gearbox in 2010, 3DR sought to privately convince others that the sale never happened," the complaint reads. "The result is the unauthorized development effort that reportedly exists between 3DR and Interceptor."

Among the documents filed in the suit is a breach statement issued by Gearbox stating that 3D Realms infringed on Gearbox's intellectual property in addition to a statement signed by 3D Realms CEO Scott Miller and Duke Nukem co-creator George Broussard that acknowledged the infringement. In a statement filed to Joystiq, Gearbox Software said, "As the filing shows, 3DR's wrongdoing is both admitted and unfortunate for everyone who cares about Duke Nukem."

3D Realms filed a lawsuit against Gearbox in June 2013 for alleged unpaid royalties for Duke Nukem Forever, and later issued a public apology and withdrawal of the lawsuit in September 2013. Gearbox took over the development of the game in September 2010 in addition to acquiring the rights to the brand from 3D Realms.
More information.

Last edited:
I read about this on Bluesnews earlier. It looks like we have another Interplay vs Bethesda style drama in the making again. Just with different companies.:roll:

Then, why don't Gearbox do an RPG out of it themselves ?
Or will now the usual message "won't sell" come ? If so, then why does Gearbox want some of the benefits, if it "won't sell" ?

Concerning Duke Nukem and RPG, this is the only thing I can think of. ;)

Absolutely. Duke Nukem 3D is a genuine classic. I still consider it one of the best first-person shooters I've played.

Totally agree ... and that is why it 'was'. As for why it 'still is' ... name recognition, I suppose. When your last good product came out around the same time as the original Playstation ... you are not a modern brand ... ;)

I liked Duke Nukem 1 very much, and I found Duke Nukem 2 too violent.

Absolutely. Duke Nukem 3D is a genuine classic. I still consider it one of the best first-person shooters I've played.

I played it again 2 years ago. It's still decent, but I stopped after 10 hours or so. You notice that level design and pacing are "old".

I played it again 2 years ago. It's still decent, but I stopped after 10 hours or so. You notice that level design and pacing are "old".

I couldn't disagree more. The level design is a lot better than the majority of shooters we get nowadays. Most modern titles are on rails compared to DN3D, and hidden areas/items seem to be a thing of the past.

The world is also far more interactive than more recent shooters.

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more. The level design is a lot better than the majority of shooters we get nowadays. Most modern titles are on rails compared to DN3D, and hidden areas/items seem to be a thing of the past.

Agree, I still think it is a great shooter to work through ... most newer ones are dreary and occasionally boring in comparison. Don't know where to go? No worries - someone will shoot at you in 3 seconds to help you along (for as much as I liked Bioshock Infinite, THAT was irritating!)

Wasn't it someone from Bethesda that said that the cost of assets and CGI and voice acting meant that justifying ANYTHING that won't get experienced by nearly 100% of players is really hard at this point?

Back
Top Bottom