Eye of the Beholder - Review @ CRPG Addict

Honey, having a long console RPG gaming with the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior (yeah, THAT one), and my PC RPGing with Bard's Tale 3... I can say RPGs ARE BEST on keyboard/mouse PERIOD. I know, I know, it's sooo hard. Look, if you have the patience your COD peers don't, you can easily learn a simple keyboard/mouse combo. All your Final Fantasies are based on Wizardry, Ultima and Might & Magic...

Just sayin.

Can any of these versions be played with a basic controller like the SNES version, or is that the only one with controller support?

Also, how complex are the keyboard controls? Can they be mapped in an emulator to a controller?

Also, do you have to map this game yourself?

This and PSP or another handheld means that you can play it anywhere even on the toilet!

Presumably, you could also run these games under DOSPAD on an ipad or even a phone. In fact the smaller screen on a iPad would be something of an advantage - it is never really satisfactory running old games full screen on a 1080p monitor and the postage stamp option is equally off putting. Might give this a try at some stage - would be very useful for weekends away.

If you have to choose between DM and EotB, then just go Black Crypt instead ;)

Runs perfectly on WinUAE.

To me, Black Crypt is the peak of the step-by-step dungeon crawler.

Haven't even heared of that one, probably because it was released as Amiga Only.

What's better in this game than in Dungeon Master /EOB?

Haven't even heared of that one, probably because it was released as Amiga Only.

What's better in this game than in Dungeon Master /EOB?

The content ;)

Well, I love the level design, monster design, the puzzles, the spell system and the visuals.

It has underwater levels!

They're all great games, but I just happen to have a special fondness for Black Crypt.

That said, the very first level is somewhat underwhelming. The game doesn't really pick up until you descend to the second level, if I recall correctly.

It was the first Raven Software game I ever played, and it's still the best they ever made. Well, maybe it ties with Shadowcaster - their second game :)

I used to be a HUGE fan of this kind of dungeon crawler. Other games that are rarely mentioned that I also love include Xenomorph and Captive.

Might check it out. But it seems like it opens a world of pain regarding rights.
If I want to make youtube videos of it, I'd need a version which is not abandonware, make it run on the PC and then also get the permission of EA who is probably the owner of the rights. That sounds like fun...^^

Might check it out. But it seems like it opens a world of pain regarding rights.
If I want to make youtube videos of it, I'd need a version which is not abandonware, make it run on the PC and then also get the permission of EA who is probably the owner of the rights. That sounds like fun…^^

I have no idea about the rights. The Amiga game is ancient - and I can't imagine anyone caring anymore.

Whilst googling Dart's recommendation of Black Crypt, which I've never played (looks good, must check it out, so thanks for that!), I came across this:

http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/03/eye-of-beholder-1-2-aga-versions-now.html. Looks like you can run Eye Of The Beholder 1&2 on the amiga emulator with better graphics… and automap. And if there is one thing that puts me off playing old games again it's lack of automap.

EDIT: P.S. look like FS-UAE (the amiga emulator) also includes controller support - so that could be an option for those, such as Fluent, who prefer that control method.

Whilst googling Dart's recommendation of Black Crypt, which I've never played (looks good, must check it out, so thanks for that!), I came across this:

http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/03/eye-of-beholder-1-2-aga-versions-now.html. Looks like you can run Eye Of The Beholder 1&2 on the amiga emulator with better graphics… and automap. And if there is one thing that puts me off playing old games again it's lack of automap.

It's kind of a toss-up, because the Amiga versions only had a 32 color palette. They did have a slightly higher resolution, and probably better sound.

Both games came out in the early 90s, IIRC - and it's right at that point where PC gaming started to kick Amiga gaming's ass.

It's kind of a toss-up, because the Amiga versions only had a 32 color palette. They did have a slightly higher resolution, and probably better sound.

Both games came out in the early 90s, IIRC - and it's right at that point where PC gaming started to kick Amiga gaming's ass.

I think in the original standard for VGA you could only get 16 colours at 640x480 and that 256 colours was only available at half res. So the Amiga's 32 color pallette at a higher res looks good in that respect. And offered a choice between res and colours, I'd go for res every time.

I don't think PC graphics in games really took off until the voodoo cards a bit later in the 90s.

I think in the original standard for VGA you could only get 16 colours at 640x480 and that 256 colours was only available at half res. So the Amiga's 32 color pallette at a higher res looks good in that respect. And offered a choice between res and colours, I'd go for res every time.

Nope, both EotB games can use 256 color VGA in standard 320x200 resolution. You're probably thinking about 16 colors in 640x480 resolution, which very few games used. Syndicate being one of them.

Nope, both EotB games can use 256 color VGA in standard 320x200 resolution. You're probably thinking about 16 colors in 640x480 resolution, which very few games used. Syndicate being one of them.

Yes - you are right. Although VGA does have a 16 colour 640x480 mode, games at that time were using the lower resolution to get 256 colours - had forgotten that :).

However, as it turns out, it looks like someone has rewritten the version for FS UAE (ie Amiga Emulator) to use the full 256 color palette. See here:

http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB2+AGA+GAME

Yes - you are right. Although VGA does have a 16 colour 640x480 mode, games at that time were using the lower resolution to get 256 colours - had forgotten that :).

However, as it turns out, it looks like someone has rewritten the version for FS UAE (ie Amiga Emulator) to use the full 256 color palette. See here:

http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB2+AGA+GAME

Nice :)

That settles it, then. With 320x56 more pixels and superior music/sound - this Amiga version is definitely the one to go for.

Also, IIRC, both EotB games installed to hard drive without issue. That wasn't always the case :)

It does require a bit of tinkering to make it work properly with hard drive in UAE - but it's worth it.

Keep in mind that EotB3 wasn't released for Amiga - and I think there's an import option for characters?

Honey, having a long console RPG gaming with the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior (yeah, THAT one), and my PC RPGing with Bard's Tale 3… I can say RPGs ARE BEST on keyboard/mouse PERIOD. I know, I know, it's sooo hard. Look, if you have the patience your COD peers don't, you can easily learn a simple keyboard/mouse combo. All your Final Fantasies are based on Wizardry, Ultima and Might & Magic…

Just sayin.

Uhh...okay? o_O

You do realize you're telling this to someone who is a huge PC gaming nerd and uses keyboard and mouse as my number one device, all day every day? Because you are. :)

I simply want to map the controls to a controller if possible so I can play the PC or Amiga versions on my PSP. It's nice to be able to be wireless and lounge in a recliner or something while playing classic RPGs. =)

How silly it is to read how hardcore you are by what control scheme you use for any game....I use whatever feels comfortable for the game I'm playing. Why limit the way you can control a game by some silly misconception?

I think playing EOB on Consoles is probably impractical as you constantly need to move your cursor to each individual attack button. Which is already tiresome with a mouse.

And yeah, playing on Amiga means you wont't be able to inport your characters to EOB3 as this is PC exclusive.

The Amiga version can be emulated on the PSP as well, using PSPUAE, for anyone interested. :)

Someone who played the game tell me, isn't it possible to trivialize Dungeon Master's combat by throwing weapons and objects at monsters?

Back
Top Bottom