Eye of the Beholder - Review @ CRPG Addict

Someone who played the game tell me, isn't it possible to trivialize Dungeon Master's combat by throwing weapons and objects at monsters?

If you don't mind spending ages killing things, throwing objects is feasible. Not certain why you think it's easier to throw things and get out of the way than it is to hit things and get out of the way, though.

If you don't mind spending ages killing things, throwing objects is feasible. Not certain why you think it's easier to throw things and get out of the way than it is to hit things and get out of the way, though.

I've read that the throwing, and immediate picking up and re-throwing of i.e. two handed swords and other big objects trivializes combat. As I've never played DMI, I wouldn't know if this is true. Never played DMII far enough to know if throwing two-handed weapons is feasible there, throwing large objects didn't seem to work all that well there though.

I've read that the throwing, and immediate picking up and re-throwing of i.e. two handed swords and other big objects trivializes combat. As I've never played DMI, I wouldn't know if this is true. Never played DMII far enough to know if throwing two-handed weapons is feasible there, throwing large objects didn't seem to work all that well there though.

It doesn't trivialise combat, because you'll deal more damage in melee with the right weapons, and monstersdon't react very fast - so there's really no advantage to throwing things. Not that I recall, anyway. Maybe certain objects deal a lot of damage, but I remember testing that kind of thing pretty thoroughly.

This kind of late reviewing is a complete nonsense. If I was to make a review of EoB, Serpent isle or Arena, it would never score half what I'd give these games back in the days. The magic of the moment is forever gone and only lives in my memories.

I loved this game back in the day, but I have to agree that Dungeon Master is the better game.

Now, if we're talking EotB 2, it's more of a toss-up.
Agreed about EoB2 but EoB was better than DM1 IMHO. The graphics and the gameplay were better. DM2 was better than EoB but the technical evolution was exponential at that time.

Can any of these versions be played with a basic controller like the SNES version, or is that the only one with controller support?

Also, how complex are the keyboard controls? Can they be mapped in an emulator to a controller?

Also, do you have to map this game yourself?
I'm afraid that's the way you'll have to go even though I recall finishing EoB 1 without the need for mapping. The game is set underground and is fairly simple to navigate with the keyboard arrows. The whole gameplay is a breeze with a keyboard and as mapping goes well apart from the occasional teleporters and a whole bunch of pressure plates, you won't really lose the path (there are places though… ;) ). Be prepared for some head scratching puzzles and some challenging fights too (nothing insane though).

Must be mapped by yourself. A most basic map came with EOB1, at least. I know because I have one.
As far as i can tell (I own three versions of the game (one French, one English and an American reprint)) only the English version was printed with the 12 levels mapped individually (I should verify though as only the English version is next to me now). I'm not sure every edition came with that Clue book but I guess they were only shipping with the rule book that doesn't contain any map at all. Could you share more info about which edition do you own ; is this a German edition ? Just out of curiosity :)

Looks like you can run Eye Of The Beholder 1&2 on the amiga emulator with better graphics… and automap. And if there is one thing that puts me off playing old games again it's lack of automap.
EoB series run pretty well under Windows XP Pro SP3 so I suppose it could run under Windows Seven Ultimate as well. Automap for this series is useless as long as you own a fairly functional brain ;)

This kind of late reviewing is a complete nonsense. If I was to make a review of EoB, Serpent isle or Arena, it would never score half what I'd give these games back in the days. The magic of the moment is forever gone and only lives in my memories.
Fair enough, but CRPG Addict doesn't do "actual reviews" as we know them. He plays old games, meticulously records his experience and puts everything in its historical context.

His Final Rating then adheres to a scoring system he calls the "Game Innovation, Merriment, Likability, and Engagement Test (GIMLET)". Basically it's a simple checklist of features he judges important for his enjoyment of CRPGs, which is effectively similar to our own CRPG Analyzer checklist, if a bit more subjective. Things like graphics quality factor in, but not beyond a simple "graphics should not be distractingly bad". So in that sense, he doesn't really make a difference between old and new games.

For him, personally, the GIMLET score does directly translate to a fun rating; not necessarily true for others, obviously. What it does, though, is make games across the ages comparable.

Agreed about EoB2 but EoB was better than DM1 IMHO. The graphics and the gameplay were better. DM2 was better than EoB but the technical evolution was exponential at that time.

I liked DM for its more "cerebral" puzzles and IIRC EotB was kinda light in that way.

Back
Top Bottom