Fallout 4 - New Trailer and the Graphics Technology

After watching a two hour review, the main points were:

The product is very well rated.

As usual, this high mark is barely explained by the content of the review.

-graphics are poor, art direction is fine
-poor writing of quests
-companions save one are dull
-it is combat oriented
-UI is poor (K&M work only for the FPS side, the rest is heavy)
-No resolution of quests through competences (science, mechanics etc…)
-Tons of content, tons of quests, denser map
-Survival mode makes combat challenging, that is all (no food, ,no water etc)
-It is not a fall out game
-It is written for US kids
-The world ticks bad, but not as bad as TW3's world
And more
In short, the product is shit, but the reviewer had fun with it, he likes it. Very good score.
Move on.

You fail...I mean literally.

I get just as much fun from reading Steam reviews where the guy says he hates the game and then it shows a play time of over 100 hours :) I hate hitting my hand with a hammer. I don't do it for 100 hours before I realize that.

I don't get it either, 2 hours is about my threshold for something I don't like. Sometimes even less, times too precious.

What's the problem?
I have dozens of hours in Skyrim and I hated it (except Dragonborn).
MGS5? I 100% the game, yet I thumbed it down on Steam.
etc.

Hating something doesn't mean one can't finish it and form an opinion from the whole thing. Besides, some games starts meh but open up in the second half.

Apparently I have 475 hours played in Skyrim… 400 of which are probably me away from the computer with the game running in the background. The other 75 are me trying to fool myself that all those stellar reviews are bound to mean something as I plod along in a copy/pasted world.

I really, really tried to like Skyrim - even gave it two chances - but Bethesda games just aren't for me.

I don't get it either, 2 hours is about my threshold for something I don't like. Sometimes even less, times too precious.
The Steam review system is meant to support sales.
As shown on this site with the Dead State example, negative reviews that might curb the sales must be excluded.

Time spent to reach a conclusion should not make a factor.
Steam users do the opposite for negative reviews.
It usually goes that negative reviews based on a small number of hours are discredited because of not enough hours, negative reviews based on a larger number of hours are discredited because of too many hours.

As suited, people are also unable to state the proper number of hours to play to support a negative review, let alone stick to that standard if issued.

Noticeably, 100 hours are not that many as people spent 70~80 hours to complete a first walkthrough.

In the meantime, any hour goes to support a positive review.

You fail…I mean literally.
How? The review proceeded over two hours, with the reviewer backing up points with ingame examples. While he gave a very good score to the game, before the hour in the review, people were questioning it as the reviewer kept lining negative point after negative point.

What's the problem?
I have dozens of hours in Skyrim and I hated it (except Dragonborn).
MGS5? I 100% the game, yet I thumbed it down on Steam.
etc.

Hating something doesn't mean one can't finish it and form an opinion from the whole thing. Besides, some games starts meh but open up in the second half.

The problem, for me at least is I don't have an infinite amount of time to game.

Time spent playing a game I don't like or worse yet hate as some have said is time I'm not spending with my wife, kids, friends, running my business, doing my many other hobbies or playing a game I like. All of which I'd enjoy more than playing a game I hate.

So why would I want to play a game I hate rather than do one of the thing I enjoy. Doesn't make sense. Not to me at least.

People take on their time to write reviews. It changes the perspective.
People might feel that two hours in game are enough to write a substantiated review, people might feel that one hundred hours are required.
Their decision, they are the ones writing the review.

Time does not matter, the content of the review does.

After 5 hours I thought Skyrim was awesome, after 20h I uninstalled it and I was sad that I even spent 1 hour playing it and wasting my time and brain cells.

After 5 hours I thought Skyrim was awesome. After 2686 hours I still think its awesome.

After 4 hours of Witcher 3 I thought it was kick-ass. When I got a new PC I didn't reinstall it and never made it past level 8.

Not sure about FO4 yet but closing in on 10 hours and enjoying it a lot.

My bold claim is that different gamers just like different games by having different priorities. ;)

After 5 hours I thought Skyrim was awesome. After 2686 hours I still think its awesome.

After 4 hours of Witcher 3 I thought it was kick-ass. When I got a new PC I didn't reinstall it and never made it past level 8.

Not sure about FO4 yet but closing in on 10 hours and enjoying it a lot.
Would not know about TW3, I quit TW2 half way and never installed it again.

My bold claim is that different gamers just like different games by having different priorities. ;)

Well said.

People shouldn't mind me, just get bothered by some of the negativity at times. Just seems overboard at times. I am surprised some folks can even find a game they like to play based on their comments at rpgwatch in general.

Would not know about TW3, I quit TW2 half way and never installed it again.
Perhaps you should give TW3 a try. It's quite different from TW2 considering the world design. Some things of course stayed the same though.

I am surprised some folks can even find a game they like to play based on their comments at rpgwatch in general.
Yeah, it may even be that if two gamers equally like a game, the one complains way more than the other. ;)

Perhaps you should give TW3 a try. It's quite different from TW2 considering the world design. Some things of course stayed the same though.
I quit TW2 because it turned into Twitcher 2. From what I seen it is still Twitcher 3.

Well said.

People shouldn't mind me, just get bothered by some of the negativity at times. Just seems overboard at times. I am surprised some folks can even find a game they like to play based on their comments at rpgwatch in general.

Lol. So true, if I didn't know better ( or do I?) I'd think some people don't play games at all. They just watch videos and read the negative reviews, dismissing any positive ones as bought or fanboi's.

Then they spam related threads with negativity. You'd think they'd say their piece on the game once and move on but that rarely happens. They tend to post multiple times in each thread about whatever game. It's almost like gathering and spreading negative info becomes a game in itself to them or it pains them that someone is enjoying a game they dislike so they have to disparage it at every opportunity.

Lol. So true, if I didn't know better ( or do I?) I'd think some people don't play games at all.
Based on Steam forums trolls, I tend to believe it's true.
They just watch videos
This. And from those videos they don't have a slightest clue - it's like watching a movie trailer then discussing a movie based on that trailer.
I'm kind of a player who wants to turn every stone in a game and I'd be enraged if I watched an idiot fastrunning the game and rushing over something I'd want to examine/open/loot or something. That's why I avoid any kind of stream.
Written stuff, okay. Timewasting and crap videos should "get off my property".
and read the negative reviews
This is partially true.
There are quality negative reviews that dissect a game so a reader can understand why the score went below 5/10. Then there are idiotic 0/10 or 1/10 reviews just because someone has a bad hairday and the whole review looks like "this game sux" oneliner. And then there are 0/10 reviews as protest to 10/10 by IGN idiocy to praise broken mess or annoying games they were paid to glorify.

Back
Top Bottom