Fallout 4 - Next-Gen Update released

I'd need a lot more than a rumor from a clickbait site like gamingbolt before I start getting excited about FO5.
It isn't a rumor from gamingbolt. It's a rumor from Jez Corden of Windows Central, who seems to be considered a reliable source when it comes to Microsoft's games division / Xbox stuff.

Discussed starting at 1:27:35 here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4frfcWeJMAc

Avowed isn’t out yet. They are screwing the pooch with marketing it though…

Outer worlds 1 was successful monetarily. I haven’t played it. But I’d be hard pressed to say “poorly received” if they’re making another one.
Both of them are poorly received on this forum. (In the case of Avowed, "poorly received" meaning nobody is impressed with what they've shown so far.)

Pentiment is really creative. Surprised for your hate for it.
I like Pentiment. Don't think many others here do, or even bothered to play it.

Bethesda games—on the other hand—are very samey.

Sure different story genres or whatever but gameplay loops and core mechanics are pretty predictable.

This can be a good thing—know your strengths!—but obsidian doesn’t roll that way. They are magnitudes more creative and thus more interesting.

Might be my bias though…

I’m an old black isle dog through and through. When they shuttered back in the day (with Troika) I gave up games for a long time because RPGs just didn’t have that same formula I desired.

So I get your concerns with them not being as avidly focused on RPGs.

I guess I’m confident/hopeful with the success of BG3 that they’ll come back around.

It isn't a rumor from gamingbolt. It's a rumor from Jez Corden of Windows Central, who seems to be considered a reliable source when it comes to Microsoft's games division / Xbox stuff.
I remember when the Fallout 3 remaster was from a "reliable source". It's still just a rumor.

True, was just saying it's from a better source than gamingbolt. I wouldn't believe any rumor that a random-ass site like gamingbolt broke, either.

Oof. If Obsidian makes this, it won't get in a playable state any sooner than if Bethesda did it after the next TES, so I may as well give up on that next instalment. Anyway, they're busy with Avowed and TOW2, and even though this was said jokingly, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted another sequel to PoE.

Also, they're not even half the size of BGS.

I seldom had problems with Obsidian games or Bethesada. Like any game people rant on bugs that are more nuisance and visual, with less being serious bugs. Those two aren't alone either - CDR, Owlcats, the list goes on.

I am far more concerned about company executives saying they need to "fast track" game development. That usually means a rushed shitty game, as in shitty content and depth.

Like any game people rant on bugs that are more nuisance and visual, with less being serious bugs. Those two aren't alone either - CDR, Owlcats, the list goes on.
The difference is that Bethesda isn't nearly as active in post-release support as devs like CDPR or Owlcat. Those studios have released some pretty buggy games, but at least they owned up to them.

Bethesda OTOH seems satisfied with just letting modders fix most of the bugs for them.

I am far more concerned about company executives saying they need to "fast track" game development. That usually means a rushed shitty game, as in shitty content and depth.
Well this wouldn't be a problem if Bethesda didn't take 6-7 years working on only one game, and refuse to expand while sitting on some of the best IPs. Makes no sense.

So I for one am happy we don't have to wait till the 2030's to play another Fallout.

Oh I wouldn't mind seeing them come out sooner but fast tracking game development sounds bad to me. Games where executives step in and push for quick release usually turn out messy. I like Beth games a lot myself. Starfield was a disappointment in some ways, although I still enjoyed it. I'd be fine if Obsidian made FO5 myself. Or get Larian to do it :p

Somewhat related, I'm sort of surprised the FO London team didn't just release London for the non-updated version as planned. I mean most heavy modders, who are the main ones who would play London, are not going to update to begin with. Timing sucked no way around that though.

Last edited:
Oh I wouldn't mind seeing them come out sooner but fast tracking game development sounds bad to me. Games where executives step in and push for quick release usually turn out messy.
In this case, “fast-tracking” is referring to actually starting to develop a game sometime soon, as opposed to sitting around doing nothing towards any new FO game for the next 5-6 years. So, no real relationship to the kind of “fast-tracking” that you’re referring to.

In this case, “fast-tracking” is referring to actually starting to develop a game sometime soon, as opposed to sitting around doing nothing towards any new FO game for the next 5-6 years. So, no real relationship to the kind of “fast-tracking” that you’re referring to.
Exactly. New Vegas wasn't "fast tracked". They wanted another Fallout game, and rather than wait until after Skyrim, they outsourced it to Obsidian.

Exactly. New Vegas wasn't "fast tracked". They wanted another Fallout game, and rather than wait until after Skyrim, they outsourced it to Obsidian.
I wouldn’t interpret it as fast-tracked either.

Just being honest about software development; it isn’t easy!

If the engine/gameloop is pre-made/setup that allows for more focus on story rather than both.

If Bethesda were backed into that corner I don’t think the story would be as high quality as Obsidian’s.

The topic was a bit before that obsidian should focus more on rpgs but they also were great at sequels: nwn2, swkotr2, fo: nv. These were all good rpgs but obsidian also are/were good at developing on pre-existing franchises.

The argument could also be made that Bethesda would have a better chance at the best modders getting involved in their latest engine (Starfield) if they source it out to (for example) obsidian and obsidian does a good job.

Haven’t a lot of well known modders hated on Starfield? Better chance getting more mods on that game if there’s another one on that engine.

Obsidian should stick to "isometric" cRPGs. Outer Worlds was their attempt at Fallout and ended up being even duller than Bethesda games.

If Microsoft have competent people, they'll have Obsidian ride the BG3 wave with some similar game instead of adding more clutter of reheated Bethesda-like abandonware that nobody is excited about.

Obsidian should stick to "isometric" cRPGs. Outer Worlds was their attempt at Fallout and ended up being even duller than Bethesda games.

If Microsoft have competent people, they'll have Obsidian ride the BG3 wave with some similar game instead of adding more clutter of reheated Bethesda-like abandonware that nobody is excited about.
Fallout New Vegas was their attempt at Fallout…

I don’t follow your argument.

Fun-fact fellow watchers the video does say it might go to another studio and not Obsidian. I really don't know any other RPG developer under Microsoft except inXile.

Also both studios already have multiple projects in development right now.

Microsoft might also force Bethesda to expand, and start working on more games internally. That might be the best option if Beth throws a fit about another developer.

Back
Top Bottom