Fallout 4 - Should Be Game of the Year

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Should Fallout 4 be the game of the year? Twinfinite's Yamilia Avendano thinks so. Here's what she has to say…

(Couch, as ever, thank you. Your hard work is appreciated, sir.)

Fallout 4 features that same post-apocalyptic world we know and love from past games in the series. Except this time, it’s Boston. It’s an expansive world that’s filled to the brim with life and locations and creatures and humans and its own history and adventure. You’d struggle not to find something to do in this world. No two locations are alike and everywhere is filled with unique characters, enemies, and even items you can hoard.

2015 was a year full of open worlds, but Fallout 4 managed to make a mark by thrusting players into the harsh reality of a nuclear Wasteland as soon as possible. The story grips you as soon as the nuke drops in the beginning and takes you for a ride over the course of its twenty hour main storyline and possible 100 hour game. You’ll meet countless characters that all have their backstory and personality traits, and you’ll feel like you’re actually a part of a greater picture in this vast universe.
More information.

More information.

It's a great game. When you include the base building and management, there is a TON to do. It's close, but I have to give the nod to TW3. If they stalled it until Jan then maybe but then they'd be up against ME4. Still, F4 is a must buy and gets my highest recommendation.

I'd like to read the argument why it isn't

Nope. Very few RPG elements. Buggy as hell. Terrible story (I did the Institute ending and . . . well, there wasn't even an actual ending). Bad mix of ugly old models and textures that clash with, you know, the rest of it which is a more modern looking game.

It was a good game. It was not GOTY. I'm not even sure I'd put it in the top ten.

I'm rather enjoying fallout 4 but bloodborne's my game of the year. I haven't played enough of the witcher 3 yet to have an informed opinion on it.

FO4 is fairly enjoyable, better than 3…. crafting is terrific but it's not much of an RPG.
It cannot be GOTY due to TW3 outclassing it in every way

Can a role playing game be defined as game of the year without a great story? If your answer is yes, then maybe it is your game of the year.

I have always thought of RPGs as a game where I play a character in a story and being apart of it as it unfolds.

Some think it exploring the world for the sake of exploring it is. I do enjoy those games as well. Though even if I spent more hours playing one of them, without a great story to go with them I wouldn't say it was the best.

So that would be my reasoning behind it. Also I am not a huge fan of post nuclear war games.

Nice to see you guys got some positive articles on this…I'm sure it will anger some of the more welcome posters here.

Nobody's any more or any less welcome than anybody else, Rune. :) Seriously.

You are every bit as welcome as anyone.

It's a great game. When you include the base building and management, there is a TON to do.
The whole base building feature feels completely pointless. Don't think they even matter in any way to the rest of the game except you need a certain (small) number of them in order to do the Minuteman ending. The whole thing just feels artificially tacked-on. So yeah, it's something to do, but why? I don't see it as a plus for the game. A negative, if anything.

F4 is a must buy
I agree but only because it is a Fallout game. If essentially the same game came out, but without the Fallout license, I would probably skip it (knowing what I know now after finishing the game).

Good to see you don't hold grudges couch…or like to respond like this.

Nice to see you guys got some positive articles on this…I'm sure it will anger some of the more welcome posters here.

BTW how is the new ultima game coming along.

Good to see you don't hold grudges couch…or like to respond like this.

No grudge just answering Embolus question with a warning.^^

Now if were talking about grudges I noticed a few other members have got under your skin with their various comments about Fallout 4, and have read your replies.

BTW how is the new ultima game coming along.

Cut my losses on that one...not impressed with them to be honest. I still have a basic account however so who knows?

No grudge just answering Embolus question with a warning.^^

Now if were talking about grudges I noticed a few other members have got under your skin with their various comments about Fallout 4, and have read your replies.

It's not just fallout 4...it's their codexian style answers to just about everything here, there seems to be a bigger group of them we have had in the past. When you have posters here openly bragging about how they pirate games and then continue to slam something in every single thread most would get annoyed. I have no issues with people not liking something, I do however have issues with some who believe that they are superior or experts in rpg's and the rest of us are wrong...Like I said, the codexian way.

Do they have anything close to a release date yet?

No. Well...not that I know of. I brought up some valid points that I stated that they were gearing the game to be profitable to only those who paid the most and that even if that were not true that is the perception from outside.

I was then moderated and banned for a week in order to "silence" any talk on that subject. The higher spenders(whales as some like to call them) are free to do whatever they want on the fotums including name calling and trolling.

I learned that "slippery slope" when asking why the rest of the community was not involved with Player owned towns and only the high rollers made the rules that the rest of us had to follow, would result in a warning or ban.

Someone said something like this, sorry, can't find the post.
If you're after superb story that branches, circles, fits, completes, worldchanging based on your actions, your GOTY will be TheWitcher3.
If you're after sandbox where story is pretty much irrelevant (although I must say it's IMO pretty good compared to previous Beth work), your GOTY will be Fallout4.

I'll also add…
If you're after MMO but okay let's have a decent singleplayer as a bonus, your GOTY will be either MetalGearSolid5 or GTA5.

So to the title question. Yes, it should. If.

The actual question one should ask - how come GOTY goes to openworlds? RPG or nonRPG. Isn't it odd? I mean… If openworld is the major factor, shouldn't everyone go make openworld?
Rather not. I just remembered Amalur is also openworld.

Back
Top Bottom