Fallout 4 - Video Breaks Down Character Development @ Gamespot

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A closer look at Fallout 4's character system: S.P.E.C.I.A.L.:

Bethesda has released a new video providing an in-depth look at Fallout 4's character development system.

The video, which is narrated by executive producer Todd Howard, goes through the various S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes and also the Perks. We're also given a look at the rather impressive Perk tree, which you can see in full below.

The chart is organised by the seven S.P.E.C.I.A.L. options and, according to Howard, "there is a Perk for each S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and each rank from one to ten."

"If you have the value, you can choose it. So if you come out of the Vault with ten charisma, you can pick the intimidation perk that let's you manipulate and control other people."

A total of 70 base perks will be available in Fallout 4, each with multiple ranks that alter the functionality of the perk. Bethesda goes into depth about the character upgrading mechanics on its official website. [...]
Thanks Eye!

More information.

So apparently in Fallout 4 there won't be an Intense Training perk to allow you to improve your initial stats? What you start with is what you get?

BTW, with the add-ons, Fallout 3 had 72 perks plus additional special and quest perks. 70 doesn't seem that many really. Maybe there's more to come that are not stat-based?

I read the entire article.

My take is that they have extremely simplified things. Apparently the previous systems were too complicated for some people (loose quote from article). Nobody can be shocked they were going to dumb it down at this point though.

So apparently in Fallout 4 there won't be an Intense Training perk to allow you to improve your initial stats? What you start with is what you get?

BTW, with the add-ons, Fallout 3 had 72 perks plus additional special and quest perks. 70 doesn't seem that many really. Maybe there's more to come that are not stat-based?

You don't seem to understand - there are multiple ranks for each perk that bring additional functionality - bringing it to at least 270 unique ones.

Yes, you can improve your stats.

http://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4s-character-system/2015/09/24/31

I read the entire article.

My take is that they have extremely simplified things. Apparently the previous systems were too complicated for some people (loose quote from article). Nobody can be shocked they were going to dumb it down at this point though.

To me, it sounds like they've expanded it and made each level-up a lot more interesting.

They just got rid of the skill-system - and I think it makes a lot of sense given how they want an immersive player-driven experience.

Maybe if adding points to a skill each level is more "complex" than choosing a completely unique perk, I can see your point - but I certainly don't agree.

To me, it sounds like they've expanded it and made each level-up a lot more interesting.

They just got rid of the skill-system - and I think it makes a lot of sense given how they want an immersive player-driven experience.

Maybe if adding points to a skill each level is more "complex" than choosing a completely unique perk, I can see your point - but I certainly don't agree.

The same debate has raged with every skill vs perk system announced in the last 5 years. Dragon Age probably the most notable for longest debates. I'm not debating it again. I read the article, read what type of confusion and questions they were trying to avoid, and came to a conclusion. The discussion on stealth perks that followed just reinforced it.

I'm sure millions of people will enjoy the "immersive player driven experience" regardless. Well... I'm sure millions will buy it at least.

The same debate has raged with every skill vs perk system announced in the last 5 years. Dragon Age probably the most notable for longest debates. I'm not debating it again. I read the article, read what type of confusion and questions they were trying to avoid, and came to a conclusion. The discussion on stealth perks that followed just reinforced it.

I'm sure millions of people will enjoy the "immersive player driven experience" regardless. Well… I'm sure millions will buy it at least.

At least you're doing your best to keep an open mind ;)

I'm not aware of this debate being a "thing". To me, it's not about skills vs perks - it's about what makes sense for Fallout 4. It's all about the vision and the execution - and I can't really share this silly position of being against things on principle. That's for fools.

I'm sure that they'll find a way not to enjoy this game, even if the system turns out to be great fun.

At least you're doing your best to keep an open mind ;)

I'm not aware of this debate being a "thing". To me, it's not about skills vs perks - it's about what makes sense for Fallout 4. It's all about the vision and the execution - and I can't really share this silly position of being against things on principle. That's for fools.

I'm sure that they'll find a way not to enjoy this game, even if the system turns out to be great fun.

Dragon Age 2 also had a vision and execution. As did all Mass Effects. Its not really about the vision and executions, it's about the publics response to it. Some win, some lose.

Nobody claimed dumb systems are not fun. You really have to work on your rash assumptions when reading other posts. Millions of angry birds and candy crush players can attest that dumb systems can be fun.

Dragon Age 2 also had a vision and execution. As did all Mass Effects. Its not really about the vision and executions, it's about the publics response to it. Some win, some lose.

I don't think you'll have much success deciding what it's about for me :)

To me, it's about the vision and the execution. I don't know what DA2 tried to do - as I never really understood its vision. All I can say is that I didn't like the end result much.

Nobody claimed dumb systems are not fun. You really have to work on your rash assumptions when reading other posts. Millions of angry birds and candy crush players can attest that dumb systems can be fun.

I think you need to work on not creating fantasies about what people say.

I don't remember saying people claimed anything. I said I'm sure the haters will find a way not to enjoy it.

I don't remember including you as a hater, though your position does seem a bit dense.

Smells like you're not giving this much of a chance or am I wrong?

You don't seem to understand - there are multiple ranks for each perk that bring additional functionality - bringing it to at least 270 unique ones.

Yes, you can improve your stats.

http://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4s-character-system/2015/09/24/31

By stats, you mean perk stats. No ability stats visible in that. What about SPECIAL stats? I'll bet they are pretty fixed at character creation, with opportunities to increase them rare or never. But it was alluded that they can be increased, but not how.

The perk poster tells on the planned progression in the gameworld.

For example, the capacity to drink irradiated water is endurance 2 while the capacity to ingest corrupted food is endurance 8.

Tells about the distribution of resources and confirms that eating and drinking are part of the base experience.

A look at the other lines show specific capacities. Wonder if a PC can be all.

It's great that there's going to be that many perks, but why did they feel the need to eliminate the skill system entirely? Why not have both?

Yeah, I get that things that were previously skills are now wrapped into the perk system, but I still liked having two separate systems.

For example, the capacity to drink irradiated water is endurance 2 while the capacity to ingest corrupted food is endurance 8.

Tells about the distribution of resources and confirms that eating and drinking are part of the base experience.

A look at the other lines show specific capacities. Wonder if a PC can be all.

Is this in code?

Is this in code?

- self explanatory

- Chart shows Perk to drink irradiated water requires 2 Endurance and irradiated food 8 Endurance.

- The assumption being if its worth taking as a perk, food/water would be more scarce. (could you imagine wasting two perks on FO3 just to eat food?)

A look at the other lines show specific capacities.
- The other pictures in the chart.

Wonder if a PC can be all.
- He wonders if a player character can be a jack of all trades.

By stats, you mean perk stats. No ability stats visible in that. What about SPECIAL stats? I'll bet they are pretty fixed at character creation, with opportunities to increase them rare or never. But it was alluded that they can be increased, but not how.

Please don't let your inability to read affect what I mean.

With each SPECIAL having 10 Perks, there are 70 base Perks. With Perk ranks, it increases that number to over 270. That number also includes a top-level Training perk for each SPECIAL, so that you can essentially skip a regular Perk and raise a SPECIAL by 1. This gives you the benefit of the new SPECIAL value, and allows access to higher Perks in future levels.

Back
Top Bottom