Game with the most immersive vistas

Drithius

Magic & Loss
So, recently I've again picked up the reins of Guild Wars. I just cannot get over how startling the scenery is at times. Whether it's looking into a 1,000 foot gulch or across the waters at moored ships, it's just all so magical. The last game to grip me in this way was probably Lord of the Rings Online… but I daresay that Guild Wars does it even better when it comes to truly alien landscapes.

You guys have a game that completely takes you in like this? I'm not talking about the game with the prettiest trees or lushest foliage, but instead that magic that stokes your imagination. Game world design at its finest.

As much as it pains me to say it, Ultima IX had the best skies I have seen to this date. The sunsets were absolutely breath taking.

Gothic 3 for me by miles. Most immersive game I have ever played.
The vistas looks absolutely wonderful and they only get 10 times better with Kai Rosenkranz's mesmerizing soundtracks. I'm not only talking about Myrtana, deserts of Varrant and icy lands of Nordmar had a brilliant design too. I remember playing it 9-10 hours straight every day at some point and enjoying the life. If it wasn't for the bugs, it would become my most favorite game ever.

The latest gripping me like this were Honest Hearts for Fallout New Vegas, which surprised me a bit. It's not a graphical wonder, but the landscape is very soothing and relaxing.

That said, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games in general contains a very strong immersion. Not only is the game beautiful, the rusted and abandoned houses sets a creepy mood which is even stronger because you know they copy a real place.

Morrowind. So many times, but most memorably in the beginning of the game, climbing to the top of the lighthouse and seeing the sun setting over the marshy waters. Yes, technically modern games have "better" graphics, but nothing's topped that feeling yet.

The minimalist HUD helped a lot with that one.

Gothic 3 for me by miles. Most immersive game I have ever played.
The vistas looks absolutely wonderful and they only get 10 times better with Kai Rosenkranz's mesmerizing soundtracks. I'm not only talking about Myrtana, deserts of Varrant and icy lands of Nordmar had a brilliant design too. I remember playing it 9-10 hours straight every day at some point and enjoying the life. If it wasn't for the bugs, it would become my most favorite game ever.

Seconded. :)

In the RPG genre probably Gothic 3. With the CPs the game is even quite okay.

+1 for Morrowind. It was the only game where I returned to a place (in this case, Balmora and my mansion up at Odai Plateau), and actually felt that I was at home.

Other - non-RPing - games with magic/immersive/dream-inducing vistas/scenery were System Shock (with elevator music and all), ShadowCaster (especially one of the first levels - the foggy landscape/w skeletons haunts me to this day), and Realms of the Haunting (the tower ... Raquia with its gardens and places ...) . But in RotH, of course, everything was magic, at least for me :). Then there's Super Turrican with the factory and the spooky music. Oh, and there's this platformer/shooter, Hocus Pocus ... I still get all dreamy when I think of the beautiful moonlit levels ... and Mr. Nutz had this late summer fair/circus level - I could even smell the dry grass when playing that.

Yeah, well, looking at my own selection I see that my gaming days probably are over ^^.

I didn't play as many modern RPGs, but Drakensang had imho quite beautiful sceneries, too ... Alone this walking through the "Elven Forest" with this music is ... magical to me.

Morrowind. So many times, but most memorably in the beginning of the game, climbing to the top of the lighthouse and seeing the sun setting over the marshy waters. Yes, technically modern games have "better" graphics, but nothing's topped that feeling yet.

The minimalist HUD helped a lot with that one.

I'm with you. Gothic 3 seemed cheesy in comparison...

I also agree with morrowind, in particularly the eastern regions & cities always gets to me. I just love that entire area, and how alien they seem, yet they fit well into the setting.

As for the above mentioned Guild wars, the northern snowy regions in the original game are beautiful, and really stand out in that game.

Probably a tie between Morrowind and Gothic 3 for me. Morrowind was more impressive for its time, but G3 still has the best looking outdoor environments I've ever seen in an unmodded game.

I also think The Witcher 2 deserves to be mentioned here.

I thought the Fort Hood level of Bioshock1 was very impressive.

I'd say Morrowind too. I can't really think of any challengers. I'll throw one in for Asheron's Call though, even though the graphics are technically not that good, there was a feeling of vast openness in some areas, and just the way the land was laid out, you felt immersed in the environment. But Morrowind is tops in terms of atmosphere.

I didn't play as many modern RPGs, but Drakensang had imho quite beautiful sceneries, too … Alone this walking through the "Elven Forest" with this music is … magical to me.
Definitely. I've been taking TONS of screenshots. It's not just a pretty, lush forest, either - it's downright idealistic.

The Shadow Shard in City of Heroes was very other-worldly.

Zeno Clash had a lot of strange landscapes. I didn't end up liking the game so much but it sure had some art.

Sacrifice had some vistas, too.

Hmm, lots of games….

World of Warcraft - No contest. The sheer variety of all-encompassing atmospheres is off the charts. Almost every area was like stepping into a movie-set with major passion behind it. Areas like Duskwood, Azshara, and Ashenvale will forever be part of my gaming memories.

Age of Conan - Especially the Cimmerian areas. The music didn't hurt, either.

Oblivion is one of the most immersive games in that way, certainly. The implementation of forests in that game was breathtaking.

Gothic 3 all but equals it, though in a slightly more "gritty" way.

The Witcher 2 in the Swamp area is possibly the most beautiful area in any game, ever.

Crysis - The entire game, pretty much. The best moment is probably right at the beginning when you first approach the little collection of huts and buildings at dawn.

System Shock - The first time I entered the Hangar on level 5 - I was sold :)

I'd like to give an honorable mention (but not top spot) to Kotor, a game which had excellent background scenery. Each planet felt unique and had wonderful vistas to get lost in (especially Dantooine and Taris). Despite being released in 2003 (and with no graphics overhaul mods), it still holds up quite well today in the atmosphere department.

Drakensang: The River of Time had possibly my favorite forest atmosphere with the Elven Forest near the ruins. It was cliched as hell, but was it ever lovingly crafted and beautiful.

But Morrowind is tops in terms of atmosphere.

Sure. Until you run into one of the cardboard NPC's or yet another generic cave that someone for some reason hung a door for. ;)

But granted, some of the vistas and environments were nice.

Back
Top Bottom