Give the Codex their due

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
The campaign between RPGWatch and RPGCodex for the Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter was fun. Both groups participated heavily and with a lot of help from HiddenX, the Watch pretty much matched them dollar for dollar.

However, the Codex has absolutely kicked our butts when it comes to following up and discussing said game. They have several threads about it and the alpha thread has multiple pages of discussion. Since Larian opened up the alpha to all backers, the moderators on the site have handed out over 80 keys to their forum members and the members have been talking the game up. It barely gets a mention here, so the Watch is losing badly to the Codex.

Kudos!

I have played the alpha version -> preview here

I'm sure this will be a good game in the tradition of Ultima 7 with turn based combat and some Belgian humor thrown in.

At this moment I'm playing Blackguards - too many alphas too little time ...

The Codex style of discussing:

Roguey:
DD was fucking awful.

But yeah you could open the trade window with almost everyone in it.

adddeed:
No it wasn't.

Mykael:
DD was fucking great.

And lo, the world was balanced again (Sawyer, XX:2013).

Roguey:
(DD) Was (fucking awful).

Mykael:
Roguey quotin' Roguey to prove Roguey is Roguey.

10 out of 10 Rogueys for that post for full circularity with a straight face, would Roguey again.

What books you been reading Roguey? You still hittin' up Lesi's blogs about fantasy novels or have you branched out?

… and so on … :)

Well most of the staff is to busy nowadays. We do accept articles by members so it anyone is interested send them in. As for me I just post the news, and that includes coverage for Divinity: Original Sin.

You can pm Myrthos for Alpha keys he has plenty to spare. If anyone is interested I can ask him about another key giveaway like Blackguards. :)

I have played a little of the alpha, just to get the 'feel' of it, but from past experience testing/playing many betas, I know how doing that can ruin the experience of playing the final game. Therefore, I have decided NOT to continue with the alpha at this stage. There are probably many other people with a similar view!!

This is a complete assumption and I'm sure isn't overly accurate if not flat out wrong but, just based on my impression of the level of maturity level in comments between the two sites, I expect most of the regulars here are older with families and/or careers. A lot of people on the codex give me the impression of late teens/early 20s with more free time to both play and write/"discuss".

That being said, I've thought about doing some writing for the site. If there's some guidelines around I'd love to take a look and maybe kick in some pieces here and there. I'm a very meat and potatoes writer though so not who knows if it'd be worthwhile.

That being said, I've thought about doing some writing for the site. If there's some guidelines around I'd love to take a look and maybe kick in some pieces here and there. I'm a very meat and potatoes writer though so not who knows if it'd be worthwhile.

Check out the link for the review rules.

Link- http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/info?infoid=2

You can submit them to Myrthos or me. We also accept any articles about anything RPG related. You can check out the articles on site for a reference also.

I wasn't begging for alpha keys, Couch. I have the alpha. HiddenX has a good preview here, I just feel like we're all kinda dropping the ball on discussing the game after all the effort to fund it during the KS phase. I do believe our older demographic plays into the lack of posting. Typically, we'll have 150-200 people on during peak times. Of those, about 20 folks post regularly. Another 15-20 post occasionally and the rest hardly ever or never. It seems we have a very large population of lurkers that suck bandwidth and don't contribute. The only time these folks post is if something is being given away.

It seems we have a very large population of lurkers that suck bandwidth and don't contribute. The only time these folks post is if something is being given away.

I can verify that just by looking at the daily logs. Comparing the data it has always been like this. Four years ago I was a lurker myself.;)

Maybe someone knows a way to get some of them involved? It shouldn't take freebies to do so. So any suggestions?:S

It was largely the same for the Wasteland 2 beta. I feel the time/willingness to play these is the main factor. Also it seems, by paying attention to the various sales threads, that the regular Watcher has a backlog of over 50 games which slows the reaction even more.

I know I personally see a huge maturity difference here vs. RPG Codex. That's why I'm a member here, and not over there. Most of them seem like they wish women didn't exist.

As for D:OS, is there a non-disclosure agreement of any sort? I imagine not, since it would be so hard to enforce with so many backers. I would like talking to other people who have played and asking them advice on finding certain NPC's, etc. I'd have started a thread on here sooner for that reason...I just didn't know if it was okay...

There is no NDA. Anyone can start a new thread, so never hesitate to do so.

Thanks, guys! It's kind of a relief to know I'm not sworn to silence about this game. ^.^

Sorry, I personally judge a game by how it plays, not how much it may be hyped before release. Threads that I see before a games' actual release I tend to ignore, before I actually play the product, simply to avoid being spoiled. As for codex, does anyone really care?

Lurker here. Lurkin like a boss. Suckin that bandwidth.

I got no problem with lurkers after Bob McCabe and Stavut helped me out. ie. Stavut has made a total of 8 posts since he registered 4+ years ago.

I wasn't begging for alpha keys, Couch. I have the alpha. HiddenX has a good preview here, I just feel like we're all kinda dropping the ball on discussing the game after all the effort to fund it during the KS phase. I do believe our older demographic plays into the lack of posting. Typically, we'll have 150-200 people on during peak times. Of those, about 20 folks post regularly. Another 15-20 post occasionally and the rest hardly ever or never. It seems we have a very large population of lurkers that suck bandwidth and don't contribute. The only time these folks post is if something is being given away.

Then play the alpha and write something up and we will all discuss.:)

Back
Top Bottom