GOP Corruption and Obstruction

That's the Senate, jackass. We're talking about the House. You might want to read those rules just a little deeper, too. I'd say you're misreading them to get the answer you want, although it doesn't really matter since the entire reference isn't applicable to the situation at hand.

My God! DTE, take you meds, and smart pills while you're at it. The discussion was regards to Harry Reid controlling ammendments. In case you haven't totally lost it, Harry Reid is in the SENATE, not the house!

And sure dimiss the facts of the published house rules on ammendments. It plainly says that votes are done in the Senate chambers not just committees.

You can try to lie and wiggle your way out of this one, but it isn't going to happen. Be a man and fess up you screwed up.

Had the Senate put amendments on the bill, it would have had to go back to the House under reconciliation. Thus, no law without further debate. So, Reid wasn't going to pass an actual law anyway, so effectively nothing was blocked with any finality.

I will be a man (something you could learn from) and admit that I forgot the Senate was already considering pending legislation and that this wasn't starting from scratch. Score one for you, champ.

So, now that you have a template to follow, whatcha gonna do about the fact that you completely ignored Reid's scam in your rush to condemn?

Once again DTE, you're ignoring the forest and lost in the trees. All ammendments in the Senate (including Reid's) could be voted down.

So the fillibuster basically was either obstructionism or bigotry or both. QED.

Last edited:
Not surprisingly, the HuffPo article makes a lot of claims about intentions and sinister plots with absolutely no facts to back it up. I thought the tinfoil hat crowd was supposed to be on my side of the aisle. *yawn*

Your first link, OTOH, is certainly troubling. Although there's a disgruntled employee muddying the waters, looks like you've got a fairly good case. I'd hope to see that group prosecuted absolutely no less than ACORN. Contrary to the way you'd like to paint it, most folks on the right strongly favor fair elections given that voting is very "constitutional". The real test here will be how this problem gets dealt with. While dems across the nation did everything in their power to cover up and/or excuse ACORN's blatant and systemic fraud, so far repubs are saying the right things on this one. We'll have to see if that continues.

Shouldn't be that big of a surprise--you know how I loves me some black-n-white draconian law enforcement. Wrong is wrong, even if it's the good guys doing it.

At the very least, we need to bust their nuts for getting caught. ;)

speaking of wrong
and of majority leaders
guess there's not much to debate about this
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40362249/ns/us_news

i guess it could say something about those americans who when it comes down to it don't seem to care about or demonize those who commit "high crimes" whether in goverment, banking, contractors or mercs etc. . as long as they're not a murderer, child rapist, or drug dealer -- all other crimes aren't bad enough to warrant anything that would deter peoples consuming behavior, because that would be far more "unamerican"...

no apologies for being a biased disney/abc hater and their self labeled family network which of all the networks deserves its crown of wearing the largest "pimp hat" in the world. (This is of course related to but not limited to Tom Delay appearing on "Dancing with the Tricks"

It's sad but there have been far more felons in congress from the Republicans in the past 50 years than from the Democrats. Well, it's sad that there are any there who commit felonies but it's worse that the party who is always trumpeting their moral superiority is worse than the other.

Do you have any statistics to back up that claim? Not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see the proof.

Assuming that reference is accurate, it's not limited to congress, which was the statement made. Clicking on a couple shows that the list goes all the way to the local level with national scope. Doesn't really answer the question at all.

Allow me to give you a little guidance. Here's a list that's limited to congress. It's focused on sex offenders. See how it works?

Rather than being an ass, why not step aside and let the adults talk for a few minutes, eh?

Senators who have been indicted in the last three decades (this is up to 2008):

-- July 29, 2008: Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, indicted on seven counts of failing to disclose thousands of dollars in services he received from a company that helped renovate his home.

-- Sept. 27, 1993: Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, indicted by a Travis County, Texas, grand jury on three counts of official misconduct while she was Texas state treasurer and two counts of tampering with evidence to impede an investigation. On Jan. 6, 1994, a new indictment accused her of misuse of Treasury employees, using computers for personal and political purposes and altering computer archives. On Feb. 11, 1994, a judge ordered her acquittal after the district attorney refused to present his case until the judge agreed to rule on the admissibility of certain key evidence.

-- April 2, 1993: Sen. David Durenberger, R-Minn., indicted by a federal grand jury in Washington on two criminal charges of conspiring to file fraudulent claims for Senate reimbursement of $3,825 in lodging expenses during 1987 and 1988. The indictment was dismissed. After new charges stemming from a similar indictment, Durenberger pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of converting public funds to his personal use. He was sentenced to one year of probation and a $1,000 fine.

-- Oct. 30, 1980: Sen. Harrison Williams Jr., D-N.J., indicted in the Abscam scandal on charges of corruption, for taking money in return for obtaining a government contract. He was later convicted and sentenced to three years in prison, of which he served 21 months.

------

Other members of Congress who have been charged with crimes since 2000:

-- Feb. 22, 2008: Rep. Rick Renzi, R-Ariz., indicted on charges of extortion, wire fraud, money laundering and other crimes in an Arizona land swap that authorities say helped him collect hundreds of thousands of dollars in payoffs.

-- June 11, 2007: Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, arrested in a bathroom sex sting at the Minneapolis airport. He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct. He is now asking a state appeals court to let him withdraw his guilty plea.

-- June 4, 2007: Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., indicted on federal charges of racketeering, soliciting bribes and money laundering in a long-running bribery investigation into business deals he tried to broker in Africa.

-- Jan. 19, 2007: Former Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison for trading political favors for gifts and campaign donations from lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

-- March 3, 2006: Former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, R-Calif., sentenced to eight years and four months in prison. He collected $2.4 million in homes, yachts, antique furnishings and other bribes in a corruption scheme.

-- Oct. 3, 2005: Former Rep. Tom DeLay, R-Texas, charged with felony money laundering and conspiracy in connection with Republican fundraising efforts in 2002. One charge has been dropped and two others are being argued before a state appeals court.

-- Aug. 29, 2003: Rep. William Janklow, R-S.D., charged with felony second-degree manslaughter and three misdemeanors after his car struck and killed a motorcyclist. He was convicted of vehicular homicide and sentenced to 100 days in prison.

-- May 4, 2001: Rep. James Traficant, D-Ohio, indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of tax evasion, bribery, racketeering, conspiracy and obstruction of justice. He was sentenced to eight years in prison after being convicted of racketeering and accepting bribes.

Your list only shows half the population, which makes it relatively useless for a comparison, doncha think?. Run along now and the adults will take care of things. BS did just fine, but there's clearly some sort of problem since the sex offenders from my list largely don't show up on his list.

I've got a better link this morning. Again, the numbers don't jive with the ones from BS.
http://www.congressionalbadboys.com/index.htm
If you pan down about 2/3 to the bottom, you'll see a table that shows 1975-present we've got 56 dems and 26 repubs. Looking deeper, this list may include lesser offenses and generic scandals as well as people directly involved in congressional naughtiness but not actual congressmen themselves (Blago), which might account for the differences- for example, Fossella of NY (R) was busted for DUI which led to a "baby momma" affair being revealed, and he makes the list. Still a dirtbag, but not really of the caliber to make BS's list.

Some problems with BS's "senators" section, though. Stevens was completely exonerated on all charges and the prosecuting attorney was up for investigation, so he shouldn't be on the list. From the text, Hutchinson was acquitted, so cross off another.

From my link, here is a list of the congressional folks that have gone to prison since 1974. Might this be the best measure? I went thru all the names: 6R, 23D, 5 broken links.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's true. She's a clown. Not sure the comparison to Palin's fame and fortune is really valid, beyond the fact that they're both clowns.

Unfortunately, when you go looking for people outside the establishment, you're bound to dig up a few that are outside because they've got no business being inside. Kinda like your guy in Carolina that was such a joke that the lefties tried to convince everyone he was a republican plant. Makes for more than a few face-palms (and, as I've said more than once, I'd include Palin in this category).

Back
Top Bottom