Handheld gaming computers

Are you planning on getting a handheld gaming computer? If yes, which one?

• No.

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Yes, Steam Deck

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Yes, ASUS

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, Lenovo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Playstation

• Yes, Nintendo

• Yes, Logitech

• Yes, something else (Comment and the option will be added)

• Total voters

largh

Keeper of the Watch
There is a specific Steam Deck thread here, but since handheld gaming computers seem to be booming now with more manufacturers entering the market, I thought of opening a general thread for these machines where we can share experiences and questions.

I got an Asus ROG Ally Z1 Extreme for testing. This is a portable Windows 11 PC, which can run most current AAA games, but can also do pretty much anything a Windows PC can do. There are plenty of good reviews online and I am not intending to write a proper one. Just a mini-review based on my few hours of experience with the machine.

I tested the machine using a ROG Gaming Charger Deck, a modern TV, sound system, a relatively modern office screen, a Logitech mouse, a Stadia controller and Baldur's Gate 3.

My first impression is that the technological advancement on the handheld front is just astonishing. This small thing actually manages to run a game like BG3 through a TV using ultra presets. The resolution is not as high as it could be through a more powerful PC with an expensive graphics card, but it is high enough for me to enjoy the game. There was some lag in more dense parts of the city and FPS was around 30-50. Yet, pretty impressive for a small device like this. Good enough for me. The HDMI connected directly to my TV surround system and sound was great all around.

The operating system is clunky and it took me a while to get my Stadia controller to work through bluetooth. Once it worked, it felt like playing the game through a controller in Xbox. BG3 is not the best game to play using a controller and I was missing M&K, but I managed.

I tried the game through a computer screen too. Here I hit a problem because ROG Gaming Charger Deck only has one HDMI and one USB connection in addition to the USB-C port to the handheld. I could only connect my USB mouse since I did not have a bluetooth keyboard. It worked like a PC would work using a mouse. Cannot comment about keyboard, but I would not recommend a ROG Gaming Charger Deck due to few ports.

Then I tried the game from the native screen without connecting to the charger. FPS plummeted to 10-20 and the game was occasionally unplayable. The screen is small, but it is possible to see what is going on if you have no other option. It seems that the game almost requires the 30W mode, which is turned on automatically when a charger is connected. The battery will not last for long while playing a game like BG3 anyway. I was surprised how good sound the device has.

I got this device mostly to connect to TVs and screens while on travels but also to play PC games home as I do not own a Windows PC. I am impressed but uncertain whether I'll keep it. Lenovo Legion Go has a slightly bigger screen, detachable controllers, and even a mouse-mimic. I might go for that or then just wait for other manufacturers to come with their models.

The device was about half price compared to a stationary gaming PC (which I would rarely use) and one third of the price compared to a gaming laptop with decent specs, but costs more than current-gen consoles.

Last edited:
I'm not interested in handheld gaming computers: a PC will always be more powerful and more flexible, and I don't need to play elsewhere. I'm also used to playing with K+M, and finally, the PC can be used for other things. :)

Some handhelds, such as Asus and Lenovo, are handheld PCs. In theory, you could do anything you do with a PC using them, although that might not make a lot of sense.

Some handhelds, such as Asus and Lenovo, are handheld PCs. In theory, you could do anything you do with a PC using them, although that might not make a lot of sense.
You're right; those last arguments were for other devices like the Steam Deck (though I've never found laptops very comfortable to work with). For those who need to play and work at different places, I suppose it's a good compromise.

Use to own a PSP a decade back and the updated Steam Deck looks appealing.
Its amazing how this little device can play most PC games with some drawbacks.

They'll never replace a laptop or Desktop PC but their getting close.

I belong to the "I don't need anything besides a normal PC." camp.

I've had both a PSP and Switch over the past dozen years or so. I kept the PSP (it's in a travel case somewhere) and passed the Switch onto some family. I just like knowing I have the PSP in case I journey somewhere. It would never replace my computer.

I got an Asus ROG Ally Z1 Extreme for testing. This is a portable Windows 11 PC, which can run most current AAA games, but can also do pretty much anything a Windows PC can do. There are plenty of good reviews online and I am not intending to write a proper one. Just a mini-review based on my few hours of experience with the machine.
What do you mean by you got it "for testing"? You also mention that you're uncertain whether you'll keep it. Did you purchase it?

Thanks for the impressions btw.

Never got into handhelds of any kind. On the rare occasion I leave my house, I ain't gaming. I don't play games on my phone. I've had some handheld systems because I got them for free (N-gage, a couple of Gameboys, etc) and as gifts (PSP), but I had to force myself to use them, and soon fell out of doing so.

I answered No.
But if I were to buy a "handheld gaming computer", it would be a Steam Deck. I think it's a good bit of kit. If I had excess money, I'd buy one just so I could have one.

I've dabbled in console handhelds in the past (Nintendo DSi, PS Vita), and never had the time I thought I'd have to play them. My daughter occasionally gets them out if she's feeling a bit retro.
These days, when I've wanted to play something and I was isolated (e.g., due to Covid, or in a motel room on a business trip), I'd have my laptop with me, so I'd use that. That's so rare though that it doesn't warrant a dedicated portable PC for it.

What do you mean by you got it "for testing"? You also mention that you're uncertain whether you'll keep it. Did you purchase it?

Thanks for the impressions btw.
I did purchase, but there's a 50 day unconditional return right on it.

No, never really been interested in handheld gaming. (I'm actually surprised this is the big majority in the poll result)

I wouldn't waste money on such a device. That said, I only buy gaming laptops, and gave up desktops years ago. For many reasons, but the portability of the gaming laptop was one of them. And I just don't like how bulky most desktops are, I prefer the sleek and svelte gaming laptop. (Just bought a new one recently, actually)

So I can appreciate wanting portability. But these small gaming "toys" like the steam deck just aren't attractive or interesting to me, I prefer the gaming laptop type of game experience.

@Arkadia7, did you see that many of the choices were laptops and consoles? The title may be misleading.
All of them are handheld. It's booming right now. I could edit the names if you wish? I thought it was obvious but seems to be a too new thing for most of us as some were released in November 2023.

@largh Your correct but the small sample size of this forum site shows were all old grognards set in our anicent ways. So don't take the replies to seriously.:biggrin:

Facts are the sales are good and their is a market for these devices.

All of them are handheld. It's booming right now. I could edit the names if you wish? I thought it was obvious but seems to be a too new thing for most of us as some were released in November 2023.
Personally I had no issue with the title.

I would hardly call gaming laptops 'handheld' devices though, since they've always been quite big. Also, since the Steam Deck is the first poll choice and the subject of your 1st paragraph, I suppose it's easy to conclude this is about similar devices.

Personally I had no issue with the title.

I would hardly call gaming laptops 'handheld' devices though, since they've always been quite big. Also, since the Steam Deck is the first poll choice and the subject of your 1st paragraph, I suppose it's easy to conclude this is about similar devices.
You still didn't get it. They are not laptops. They are handheld devices:

Asus: https://rog.asus.com/gaming-handhelds/rog-ally/rog-ally-2023/
Lenovo: https://www.lenovo.com/no/no/p/handheld/legion-go/len106g0001
Playstation: https://www.wired.com/review/sony-playstation-portal/
Nintendo: https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/nintendo-switch-oled-model-white-set/
Logitech: https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/cloud-gaming/cloud-handheld-gaming.940-000198.html

...and there are plenty more. Just search with "handheld gaming pc" to learn more.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was confused by 'Some handhelds, such as Asus and Lenovo, are handheld PCs' and thought you were talking about laptops, because some small laptops are sometimes called handhelds PCs too. I should have checked the references you gave. :)

Thanks, I was confused by 'Some handhelds, such as Asus and Lenovo, are handheld PCs' and thought you were talking about laptops, because some small laptops are sometimes called handhelds PCs too. I should have checked the references you gave. :)
Not blaming you. This is quite recent development and I could have been more explicit.

Back
Top Bottom