How did you come up with your username?

Over 10 years ago I tried to invent a new name for my zombiemud gnome wizard/necromancer. My computer was on the fix (actually it was been stolen by the computerfirm that was fixing it) so I typed the name zakhal on typewriter too see how it would look. The name started with Z like all wizard names and is a derivate of jackal the stinky dog that eats dead corpses. I thought it would suit well for necrowiz.

The next day I created the character and after that I have been using it. If I type the name on google I can almost see my history the past 10 years.

I played zombiemud on highschool every morning 7:45- 18:00 every second there was free time. On saturdays I sneaked to university and mudded 5 hours on their public computers. Just for that I have no apetite left for mmogs like wow.

I my younger days, I liked the name of the mountain Mount Gundabad from Tolkien's Middle-Earth. I don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced, but I pronounced it GOOON-da-baaaahd because I liked the sound of it. :p I later tweaked it into Guhndahb as a character name for one of my old pen & paper D&D characters. It seemed to suit a loony half-orc who worshiped a spoon. ;)

Obviously my username comes from the weird poem by Lewis Carrol in "Through the Looking Glass."

When I saw the movie Alice in Wonderland (the real one, not cartoon) the Jabberwocky scared me so much that it became my predominant childhood nightmare.

Like Batman, I figured the only way to conquer my fear was to become what I feared! Bwahhaaahaaahaa!!!
Actually it fit because I seem to "jabber" every time I make a post..

The avatar is actually the symbol for a european paper-making company (I used to be a printer), and I thought it fit. The letters underneath are my initials.

Mine's influenced by Laika, the dog the Russians sent into space in 1957. The idea of one species sending another into space is deliciously bizarre to me, though pretty sad too.

This is my first post too, so greetings all.:)

Welcome to the best forum community on the 'net DogInARocket! And congratulations on a very original username. Only you may want to clue us in on what you'd prefer for a shortened version.... DogInARocket is a little much to type in a post ya'know? You can call me Jabbs, Jabber, or whatever you prefer really... Anyway, later...

Hi dogs and welcome to the Watch!!

I do a fair bit of photography (and write about it, and talk about it). I prefer using fixed-focal-length (prime) lenses. This makes some people angry: they appear to believe that people who prefer primes look down on people who prefer zooms.

So I came up with the Prime Junta, the shadowy organization that enforces the rule that no photograph taken with a zoom lens has any artistic merit whatsoever.

Recently a (pregnant) acquaintance announced that she was going to name her yet unborn child 'Anikin Nico'. Note the spelling of 'Anikin'. She said she was a huge Star Wars fan... well, we others instantly came up with other cute Star Wars names, my favorite being 'Darth-Detlev' (please note the hyphen). I already thought of using that one as a forums username, but... believe it or not, there already is a Darth Detlev (without hyphen) out there. Blast.

Hey Jaz. What's up with your new avatar? Are we to assume you have acquired a taste for Punjabi bhangra music or what?? :lol:

Obviously my username comes from the weird poem by Lewis Carrol in "Through the Looking Glass."

When I saw the movie Alice in Wonderland (the real one, not cartoon) the Jabberwocky scared me so much that it became my predominant childhood nightmare.

Like Batman, I figured the only way to conquer my fear was to become what I feared! Bwahhaaahaaahaa!!!
Actually it fit because I seem to "jabber" every time I make a post..

The avatar is actually the symbol for a european paper-making company (I used to be a printer), and I thought it fit. The letters underneath are my initials.

I always thought your name was after th old story. About the warrior who hid in the hole to get at the belly of the jabberwocky. its an old epic, like beowolf. Unless my memory has totally gone to crap, but I'm about 90-95% on this one. I had no idea there was a jabberwocky in Alice In Wonderland, but of course Monty Python.

Hey Jaz. What's up with your new avatar? Are we to assume you have acquired a taste for Punjabi bhangra music or what?? :lol:
I always liked Bhangra :harl:! I just felt like changing my clothes for the summer... the outcome was more or less random. Originally I had planned to change into Doc Hudson (from the 'Cars' movie), but then I came across my Mehndi CD.

@ Roqua: Never heard of that legend, but you very well could be right! I also didn't get the reference to Monty Python. I'm a big fan, but didn't know they did something on Jabberwocky.

@ Jaz: Well that's cool. Your avatars never cease to amaze me. I'm actually a fan of Bollywood show tunes and have several albums. Some of the movies are pretty cheesy, but I can watch anything with Aishwarya Rai in it! :worship: :drunk:

No, it's not cool, Jabberwocky. That av is just plain creepy, Jaz.:faint:

Well, yeah actually dte, now that you mention it, it did kind of creep me out at first. But that's what makes it cool, you can't stop staring at it. I don't know if it's the fruity colors, the blur effect, or what, but it sucks you into a black hole of bizarrishness!

My nickname is based upon the German officer Klaus Schenk von Stauffenberg. He was the German who led the assasination attempt upon Adolf Hitler in July 1944. He personally entered Hitler's wolf's lair in East Prussia to give a report and placed a briefcase under the table with a bomb. It was meant to go off seconds after he left the room, but unfortunately another officer moved the briefcase to the other side the leg of the big oak table. So when the bomb went off Hitler was only injured and not killed. But Hitler became after the attempt an even bigger nervous wreck ans was a shadow of himself. He knew now that he was vulnerable everywhere and even Germans were out to kill him.

The plan behind the plot was to get rid of Hitler and take power so the new rulers could sue for peace and end the war much earlier. Stauffenberg did what many people in the world wanted to do, but had no chance to. He had the opportunity and took it with no fear for his own life. It was a very brave act although maybe foolish. Stauffenberg tried to get rid of the biggest evil the world has even faced, Hitler. He nearly succeeded.

Needless to say, Stauffenberg and all the other people behind the plot were executed. Even Rommel who knew about the plans, but had nothing to do them, had to commit suicide to save his family.

Corwin and CM know I like to play paladins in RPG's. Paladins are the champions of good who fight against evil with bravery and honor. They never put themselves above the greater good and have no fear for their life pursuing evil. I think Stauffenberg is a symbol of a real life paladin. He did exactly what a typical paladin would do. His act was similar to my paladin travelling to the Abyss to kill Orcus the Prince of Undead in his native layer. It's almost impossible to succeed and death is almost certain, but a paladin would try anyway if he got the opportunity.

Another reason to pick Stauffenberg as a nick is that he symbolizes not all Germans were evil during the war. Many Germans wanted to end the war and he was one of the few who actually tried, at the expense of his own life.

A third reason was that Stauffenberg was almost crippled from a bomb earlier in the war when he tried the assasination attempt. He face was mangled and he had lost one arm. This arm had a prosthesis from iron. With this arm he activated the bomb. His handicap never prevented him from trying because his spirit and mind were not injured.

The first name Peter was picked just because it's a nice name. It's like he is a relative to Klaus von Stauffenberg, a fellow paladin. :)

So that's the story behind my nick name.

I have to say welcome to our new members and ask kira noir who, what where ect about your avatar. It has been pulling my eyes to it since I logged on. Very neat.

Squeek's my alter-ego. My big brother was a body builder, and he got me started lifting weights when I was just a kid. I kept it up through my teenage years, got big, and assumed a "football player" persona (I played tackle).

After a while I grew to hate that identity. Somehow, though, it wasn't easy to drop (crazy, I know). I mean, I ate like a horse, for one thing. I wanted to be svelte, and Squeek is a representation of that.

I've had Squeek as a user name for a lot of years, but I never used him much till I got on RPGDot (and now here). I've noticed quite a few Squeeks by now (and Squeaks), but I honestly think mine's the original.

Oh, I still exercise. My wife likes the way I look, and that's good enough for me!

Malk is short for Malkavian, name of the vampire clan from one of my all-time favourite games Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.
Actually I don't think I'm crazy enough to be Malkavian (and I don't drink blood either), but still, I love these guys (I mean vamps).
Heh, maybe I'll change it to Morte...

Back
Top Bottom