Hyperdimension Neptunia - Now on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Idea Factory has released Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 for the PC on Steam today, and you can buy it for half off till February 5th for $14.99.
Key Features

• Previously only available on consoles, now you can immerse yourself in the zany JRPG madness of the Hyperdimension Neptunia series for the first time on PC!
  • Major graphical updates let you savor the true power of these Goddesses in glorious HD!
  • Battle with up to 3 characters on the field, with 3 more as support. Use them to perform special attacks, or swap them out at any time!
  • Use "Plans" to customize the game - change up enemy difficulty, dungeon treasures, and more!
  • Craft unique equipment imbued with one or more abilities!
More information.

Last edited:
I see! Clearly not a game that wants or encourages female players.

I didn't bother to watch the video, the screenshot was offensive enough. Thanks, but NO THANKS!

Yeah it's a niche JRPG game, and it wont be for everyone. As for the screenshot blame YouTube as it picks the preview image for every embedded video.

I also remember Joxer talking about the game a few months back.:thinking:

Encourage female players? Errr…
Dunno about female players but when I return home later today I'll instabuy this game where breathing is everything! :D

Dunno if the game is good or bad, can't be worse than FF13.
The game shares the same problems FF13 has (from steam user minireviews):
- The analogue movement using a 360 pad doesnt work properly since it currently takes digital input.
- playing with a keyboard is tricky since the UI currently displays button prompts as A, B, X and Y

I adore rec. requirements:
Recommended:
Processor: 3GHz Intel i3 or equivalent
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 10.x or OpenGL 3.3 with video card with 1GB ram and support for v4 shaders
DirectX: Version 10
Hard Drive: 7 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Additional Notes: May not work properly with Windows 7 and 8 (32bit) version

Well, I am surprised this is even allowed to sell on steam, typical game with japanese girls with faces like 12 year olds and bodies like... well I don't know what.

Basically, if you don't care about breathing, stay away from this game:
http://kotaku.com/neptunias-heaving-bosoms-freak-me-the-hell-out-1610683286
This breathing animation is done by stretching and distorting the different layers of the character's 2D images to simulate the rise and fall of a person's chest while breathing.

What freaks me out about it is that the breathing animation is far too big. Instead of a slight, barely noticeable rise and fall of the chest, the characters' chest heave like they've always just finished a 10-mile run. Moreover, as the cast of Neptunia has more than its share of quite well-endowed females, the animation looks even more unnatural and over the top as their breasts bounce up and down rhythmically—and often completely in sync.

Just to remind everyone I adored somewhat similar functioning foliage in Risen 2.
And I honestly don't see how is this game supposed to be encouraging female players.

Maybe someone will think I'm some perv because of instabuying this, but honestly compared to stuff from Japan I've seen before, and adding to it that the game is actually a parody, this game is close to be not kinky at all.

I played these games (for it's combat of course!). The first one is ok, but #2 and #3 were great.

wolfling says it's ok.
I can't say anything, just bought it and there is no way I'll start playing it right now - Raven's Cry goes first.
After Raven's Cry I thought to go with Blackguards 2, but will get onto Neptunia instead. Grimrock 2... Unless I see some postpones soon I don't think I'll find enough time to play it in this year.

I'm confused. Is the game itself any good ?

If you care about the story making sense, no. It's a spoof about the goddesses of game consoles warring each other for supremacy, and you're one of them but the other 3 got together and sent you down to Earth and stripped you of your powers (and memory).

If you're a die-hard feminist, no. These goddesses will show plenty of bouncing flesh (no nudity) for your entertainment.

If what really matters to you is combat, it is entertaining. It's party based, with each turn you can chain different attacks for each character and you can customize those chains out-of-combat from individual attacks that you attain as you level up, with certain attacks doing more damage, or increasing the 'special mode' or breaking the enemy's guard, plus some attacks are elemental attacks that can exploit enemy's weaknesses, etc. Each character can also temporarily switch to 'goddess mode' with increased stats but draining energy while you're in that mode.

The reason I said #1 was ok and #2 and #3 better (to me) is that in #1 combat was button smash if I remember correctly (light though, as a clumsy guy like me could finish the game with no problems), while #2 and #3 are actually turn based, which is more to my preference.

Good, I'll buy those two sequels too then!
Except of course if I discover that the game is not a game but a bloody job.

Which leads me to another thing to say. Just got mount in FF13. Didn't even know it's possible…
And "driving" it is so retarded I'm done. Not going to spend a single more minute on this annoying grinder. 1/10 where 1 goes for nice graphics otherwise would be 0. Uninstall. Not recommended.

Seriously hoping Neptunia is different from this SquareEnix garbage.

That's the first symptom of becoming a graphics whore. :p

The description says fast action, turn based combat. HUH??

I could barely stand watching the video so I think I better pass. Maybe the combat in 2 or 3 will tempt me.

The description says fast action, turn based combat. HUH??

I could barely stand watching the video so I think I better pass. Maybe the combat in 2 or 3 will tempt me.

hmm... don't quote me on what I said, I thought I remembered the first one wasn't turn based, but watching some videos it does look turn based so *shrug*. Still, I do remember when I started playing HN2 I felt it was an improvement over the first one, just don't remember exactly why.

If only this game wouldnt make me a pedo just by playing it. Good thing that they are changing the laws so that being a pedo is legal. Then i get to play this game. :p

No really this game is such a shame it caters to pedos mainly. Makes me feel creepy even considering it.

If only this game wouldnt make me a pedo just by playing it. Good thing that they are changing the laws so that being a pedo is legal. Then i get to play this game. :p

No really this game is such a shame it caters to pedos mainly. Makes me feel creepy even considering it.
Isn't funny that every JRPG game has comments like yours so bravo good sir.:clap:
Maybe someone will think I'm some perv because of instabuying this, but honestly compared to stuff from Japan I've seen before, and adding to it that the game is actually a parody, this game is close to be not kinky at all.
Don't worry Joxer I wont as I grew up in Japan, and these games are commonplace.

Isn't funny that every JRPG game has comments like yours so bravo good sir.:clap:

Not every JRPG, only half of them. :p That said i dont hate on "young love" as shown in JRPG's like Grandia and i happen to adore those games. There is a unique set of games that seem to be coming out of Japan that show outrageously young women in scantily clad clothes. It is sad to me when there is a good game behind it.

Back
Top Bottom