In which Dart and Sir James discuss reality

An interesting conversation you got going there James and Dart, I’d love to chime in, but could some mod/admin perhaps make it into another thread. The “politics, religion and other controversies” forum seems to be pretty low on “religion and other controversies” threads anyway.

'tis done.

Oh, and also - I think instead of "enhanced consciousness" - one could alternatively refer to this concept as non-duality. I believe it might be a Buddhist term or some-such, but it certainly pops up constantly if you check out the data and countless YT videos on the subject.

One thing I don't quite understand from all these doctors and scientists is that there seems to be some kind of common assumption that consciousness is eternal - and that we're all one - or connected.

I mean, a very old idea - I know - but I don't think it's a particularly scientific conclusion based on the data.

Sure, a VERY large percentage of NDE patients come back and report exactly that feeling - that they were "one with the universe" - but I'm not personally convinced that you can conclude anything from that.

It could be just another illusion (beyond the materialist view) or layer of reality. There could be infinite layers and infinite kinds of consciousnesses (clumsy plural?) for all we know.

Hey sorry for the late reply.

One thing I don't quite understand from all these doctors and scientists is that there seems to be some kind of common assumption that consciousness is eternal - and that we're all one - or connected.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, or whether, what I'm about to say is related, but there is this hypothesis called Panpsychism, that might be the same thing you are referring to. Panpsychism comes in different varieties, however, the one, that I found interesting, is the idea that all atoms or molecules have all some kind of intelligent properties to them. Thus is it speculated that the human conscience, or the conscience for any living organism or the like, is basically just the sum of the process of a particular structure or amalgamation, of intelligent particles.

I believe that you are a follow Dane, therefore I link you to this podcast, from the Danish National Radio, on the topic of Panpsychism.
https://www.dr.dk/radio/p1/supertanker/supertanker-hvordan-oplever-jeg-mig

And here is the link to the english Wiki page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panpsychism

While I do find Pansychism an interesting hypothesis as to why/how consciousness occur, I must admit, being a self-proclaimed empiricist, that there are some fundamental ontological, or observational, issues with Pansychism that it must overcome before I can believe its premise.

So in that regards I consider myself to be a materialist on the topic of consciousness, meaning that I believe that the humans conscience is a physical manifestation that occurs naturally in a living human brain. Which is the only observable place that it can exist.

Last edited:
Does that mean my tiles are smart. I'm sure there are atoms and molecules in them.

Does that mean my tiles are smart. I'm sure there are atoms and molecules in them.

If they are grouped together then they are probably more intelligent, then if they had been apart.

I’m just the messenger here.

Also @Myrthos; why is it every time that I try to put words in brackets then it ends with some weird-ass signs “@&%# (on my end, is there some
remedy to that?)

Details about that have been shared in the Forum bugs thread: https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61

TL;DR It is not going to be fixed with this forum software. We are moving to new forum software.
If I wasn't so lazy, I would have gotten the new forums software already fully functioning, but at the moment it is at the stage where it imports everything properly.

Back
Top Bottom