JK Rowling and her trans views

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів
This point came up in the Hogwarts thread, and it's come up before. At the risk of attracting all sorts of unsavoury things, I do think this is an interesting topic of discussion.

I know two people personally who have complex gender identities. One is a woman who has androgen insensitivity syndrome. She discovered, as an adult, that she was chromosomally male, and though she had a womb, it was significantly underdeveloped. She underwent an experimental therapy to cause her womb to start developing again, and later conceived children. Now, she might possibly, at the point of discovering her male chromosomes, have decided to seek treatment to live as a man. But, she was absolutely content with her female identity that she had always known, and sought treatment in that direction instead. The main point being, anyone who tells you that human biological sex is a simple binary is most definitely misinformed. In that regard, the science is inarguable.

When it comes to the question of gender theory, that gets into the realm of social theory and the soft-sciences, and I think there, it is possible for people of good faith to have disagreements on specifics.

With regard to JK Rowling, she’s not someone that particularly interests me, but I know that her publishing name was chosen because she was advised that no-one would buy boys’ adventure books written by a woman, so best to hide behind initials. She wrote the books as a struggling single mum in government housing, and suffered domestic abuse. So, I can understand that she is quite attached to her identity as a woman. She was quite clear that she extends trans people the same regard as she would, say, gay people – to live their lives as they see fit, protected from abuse and discrimination. But, I do think the nature of being trans is inherently more complex than sexuality, and I can understand if someone like Rowling has an issue with someone else’s version of gender theory that redefines her identity as “People who menstruate.”

As I say, I’ve talked about the issue with someone who has a lot more understanding than most of us, and she can see the complexity of it, and the problem of people who don’t perfectly conform to a certain view on the matter being made pariahs.

Friederich der Große said a great sentence on June 22, 1740:
Jeder soll nach seiner Façon glücklich werden!

Translation:
Everybody should be happy following their own way!

Add the Categorical Imperative of Immanuel Kant and with these two mottos of life we can all live happily together.

My opinion is we need to back to minding our own damn business, and not others business. Seems the rise of Twitter, Facebook, and other social media made it impossible.

Seems we can't have any contrary opinions anymore it's called hate speech.

Last edited:
My opinion is we need to back to minding our own damn business, and not others business. Seems the rise of Twitter, Facebook, and other social media made it impossible.

I think there's some truth to that. I do think a lot of the problems we see can be tracked in parallel with the rise of the smartphone and social media. I do bluntly diagnose much of the trouble to the simple fact of the world's arseholes discovering each other and realising there's strength in numbers. As someone said, perhaps the worst mistake the human race ever made was getting to know itself better.

I don't know much about this business -- including whatever the controversy is about the author, as I usually avoid those kinds of stories -- but I can tell a story of my own. I can often do that.

This one is about a girl I knew when I was an apartment manager. She was around 12 or 13 when I knew her, soon after puberty, whatever the number was. She was one of my residents and a friend, which might sound strange given the age difference, but that's the way it was.

So, this girl looks just like a boy. People, including myself at first, always mistook her for a boy. She didn't mind. She dressed that way and shaved her hair down low. She walked and talked that way. You had to look carefully into her eyes to see she was female. I can tell you it wasn't an act. That's just the way she was.

She told me she had just felt like a boy for as long as she could remember. When she started to get breasts, she bound them. She ordered a dildo off the Web and took to strapping it to her leg to feel more like a man. Maybe she had male chromosomes, too, like Ripper's friend, but she was too young to find out and maybe the science was too young.

While I don't really understand this business on a personal level, it seems plain to me sometimes nature's wires get crossed, which I say with the understanding crossed wires are entirely natural. Some people call it abnormal, and I guess it is out of the norm, but it strikes me as just another of nature's myriad of variations. Some people say homosexuality is abnormal, but it doesn't look that way to me. Homosexuality occurs in many animal species. Chimpanzees, our closest genetic relative, exhibit homosexuality at a rate of about 10 percent, the same as humans. (I know there are many advocates out there who will throw out numbers as high as 20 percent, but the scientific stuff I've read puts it at 10-12 percent.)

Looks pretty consistent to me, and I'd call that natural, even if it doesn't fit the congruous logic so many humans try to apply to nature. I imagine it's the same type of thing with trans folks, just in smaller numbers.

The only thing that concerns me is other people getting into this very personal business. I've seen a couple stories about parents, including one about some celebrity mother just recently, in a way, making this decision for their children at a very young age. I forget how young this celebrity's daughter was, but it was way before puberty. The mother said she had observed this behavior and decided to raise her child as the gender she observed. Every expert I've read on this subject, granted not that many, says everyone should wait until after puberty to make any big decisions along these lines, such as surgery, which strikes me as a good idea.

I agree people should follow their own path. Life's too damn short not to.

The only thing that concerns me is other people getting into this very personal business. I've seen a couple stories about parents, including one about some celebrity mother just recently, in a way, making this decision for their children at a very young age. I forget how young this celebrity's daughter was, but it was way before puberty. The mother said she had observed this behavior and decided to raise her child as the gender she observed. Every expert I've read on this subject, granted not that many, says everyone should wait until after puberty to make any big decisions along these lines, such as surgery, which strikes me as a good idea.

I agree people should follow their own path. Life's too damn short not to.

I think that's the sort of point where things become complicated. I'm sure most civilised people believe in protecting these folks, but I think that these kind of questions are difficult - should parents make medical interventions with children - where do we draw the lines on trans people's participation in sports and women's spaces - and so on. I think there is a problem where people have differing, good-faith views on those questions, and yet can find themselves lumped in with the bigots if they are not on the approved hymn-sheet.

I'm weird, I think I only know three possible sexes: Female, male, neutered/abstaining. That's it. All these other possibilities leave me pondering what kind of parents these….beings had. As for partners/mates, well, do what you will, let your freak flag fly, as long as you aren't forcing yourself on me, or on anyone else, or shoving your views in my face, do what you will. Keep it legal, don't harm children or put anyone into slavery, and it's all good. Attempt to foist your views on me or subjugate me to your will, well, that's a whole different matter.

As for Rowling, all I know about her are the detective novels that she wrote, which I quite enjoy, and the Potter books, which I liked to a lesser extent. I'll be forever grateful that, at the time she wrote the Potter books, I got to enjoy that world with my son, we eagerly awaited each new book, and devoured them the day of release. Those memories endear her to me for all time.

I think there's some truth to that. I do think a lot of the problems we see can be tracked in parallel with the rise of the smartphone and social media. I do bluntly diagnose much of the trouble to the simple fact of the world's arseholes discovering each other and realising there's strength in numbers. As someone said, perhaps the worst mistake the human race ever made was getting to know itself better.
While I agree, I think you're underselling the other side of the social media pancake. The false belief that the world gives two hoots about every little special snowflake has given a lot of mileage to attention whores that either attempt to force the world to agree with whatever they want to say or complain bitterly when they don't get the response to which they feel they are entitled.

attention whores that either attempt to force the world to agree with whatever they want to say or complain bitterly when they don't get the response to which they feel they are entitled.

Yes, but his account was banned.

I have few opinions on trans issues myself, but an acquaintance of mine who fully enjoyed her youth in the 1980s is very much opposed.

"Where have all my butch dykes gone?" she laments, loudly and often, "They've all turned into men. I already have men."

While I agree, I think you're underselling the other side of the social media pancake. The false belief that the world gives two hoots about every little special snowflake has given a lot of mileage to attention whores that either attempt to force the world to agree with whatever they want to say or complain bitterly when they don't get the response to which they feel they are entitled.

Well, the world's arseholes come in all the colours and all the sizes - I don't see the effects of social media as a two-sided situation, but a very complex one.

I think if there's a flip side to the Rowling situation, it's all the abuse and death threats she's received. There's a certain kind of people online who are just brimming with resentment and bile, and who look for opportunities to pour it all out on someone, where it can be cloaked in self-righteousness.

I'm not so sure anyone should care so much about what the author of some young-adult books thinks, but I'm curious now: What did she say that's so controversial?

It mainly arose from various tweets, like these.

JKRowling.jpg

spurling-s-original-tweet-has-since-been-deleted.png

jk-rowling-antitrans-tweet.jpg

Then some people asserted that her novel was transphobic.

I don't take any special interest in the musings of JK Rowling, but I think it's an interesting case, when a beloved children's author who has clearly represented anything but bigotry all her life, takes a partially dissenting position on a complex issue, and is suddenly considered nothing but a bigot. It cropped up on here because WB went to great pains to emphasise that Rowling had no part in the creation of their Hogwarts game.

I'm glad to inform you that JK's politics even have their own wiki page. And that includes a section on her views on transgender people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_J._K._Rowling#Transgender_people
Shit she has her own wiki page about her views…:roll:
Aye everyone's special and the world is according to me syndrome.

Thanks. I also read this, which didn't convince me at all that she's a bigot. It is a complex issue, one I certainly haven't figured out yet. I'm pretty sure scientists and headshrinkers haven't come very close yet, either. Despite their protestations otherwise, I'm quite certain Twitter hasn't. No wonder I don't read this shit.

If all this garbage is on twatter, then that alone is enough to simply ignore it. I did get duped into using Facebook for like six months back in 2011, but I avoided the whole twatter thing by a country league. Haven't missed it as of yet and I doubt that will likely ever change, and I sure as heck don't miss Facejunk either.

I used MySpace for a little while, until it started to feel like walking through the halls of high school again, reminding me of all the things I didn't like about high school. The very concept of Twitter, the egotistical premise that people should "follow" someone to listen to his deep thoughts about that morning's breakfast, irritates me. I suspect there are a few people worthy of such attention, but what's everyone else's excuse?

JK Rowling is correctly called a TERF, which stands for Trans Exclusionary Radical Fewminist.

TERFs do not consider trans women to be 'real women,' trans men to be 'real men,' or non-binary people to exist at all. They also actively fight to exclude trans women from women's spaces.

And THAT is bigoted as FUCK.

Back
Top Bottom