JoWooD - Game Over

Silent Storm was a great game…right up until the sci fi stuff came in, and the game kind of lost me. The first part was fun as hell, though. :party2:

Mene mene tekel. The writing was on the wall for a long time. Alas, they did not listen. On the one hand I know they had a good portfolio, since I bought many Jowood games, only to be aggravated every single time about the mostly terrible quality of their games. Buying a Jowood game always meant to wait half a year until patches made the game playable.

So I don't feel anything about it anymore. They made that bed themselves.

I wouldn't say it sucked just a matter of it not being as hardcore as the earlier ones. Its still a time waster and I found some enjoyment playing the game. And yes I played the earlier ones before you ask.
No no, "sucked" is the correct term. This is a fact Truth.

Yes, with a capital letter.

JoWooD released a small patch for Arcania. It disables the online activation and fixes a few typos. So far only via auto-updater.

Come to think of it the only adventure game that did have some kind of drm on it was I think Dreamfall? who used Starforce (really annoying) and then maybe Black Mirror (US or Europe edition? who did the same?). And it angered, I think, many fans of adventure games. And I haven't seen Starforce or Securom or cd keys used in adventures, not any of the newe ones either. Only in online distribution it seems.

And yes, TAC=Dreamcatcher=Jowood. Let's hope that the adventure games we have still can be played. Maybe enough people didn't buy Arcania....

JoWooD released a small patch for Arcania. It disables the online activation and fixes a few typos. So far only via auto-updater.

Interesting... hope that releases as a real patch.

If more companies promised to do this type of thing I would rarely if every complain about DRM.

That was your post number 1024 ... ;)

No no, "sucked" is the correct term. This is a fact Truth.

Yes, with a capital letter.

Well you see opinions are like flies on shit everyone has one. And since people on the internet dont like something it has to be truth right? I also enjoyed Alpha protocol also must mean I have bad taste.

Last edited:
I'm just not sure how the Austrian business model works, if the ceo (?) is involved in development decisions. Do we have a name to blame for the idiotic and destructive path of this publisher (who shall never be named), since 2005 (give or take a year)? E.g. at Interplay we know the idiot is herve and at ea we know the idiot was riccitiello.

It seems to be handled differently in the EU, I never hear a publisher's decision maker being publicly derided for bad decisions. In the US herve and riccitiello are both reviled in public forums.

Given where they were I'm quite glad, better to have the company formally fail and release what talent they still had back out into the marketplace than to have it limp on for a while under such commercial pressure they can never really return to past glories.

We have a proverb here in Germany, saying :

"Better an end with horror than a horror without an end."
(Or the same with "terror" instead of "horror".)

This is what I often think about JoWood, how they treated games, developers etc. .

We have a proverb here in Germany, saying :

"Better an end with horror than a horror without an end."
(Or the same with "terror" instead of "horror".)

This is what I often think about JoWood, how they treated games, developers etc. .

what did they actually do to deserve such fiery vengeance from the rpgcummunity?

I am unfamiliar with the idiosyncrasies of JoWood and what they’ve done to deserve lambasting, that being said I mourn the loss of a studio that developed/published the Gothic games. Each game captured my imagination and provided entertainment at its finest. In fact, Gothic II pairs with Fallout 2 as my all-time favorite game, standing victoriously atop a mountain of titles amassed by 15years gaming.

Last edited:
I am unfamiliar with the idiosyncrasies of JoWood and what they’ve done to deserve lambasting, that being said I mourn the loss of a studio that developed/published the Gothic games (specifically 1, 2 and 3). Each game captured my imagination and provided entertainment at its finest. In fact, Gothic II pairs with Fallout 2 as my all-time favorite game, standing victoriously atop a mountain of titles amassed by 15years as a gamer.

Jowood really had nothing to do with the Gothic Series other then publishing them. It was Piranha Bytes that made those games, and they are continuing making those same type of games like Risen, Risen 2 and it sounds like they are planning making Gothic 5 after Risen 2

and it sounds like they are planning making Gothic 5 after Risen 2

I want a real Gothic 4 first. :)

If PB does make another Gothic game, I hope they don't title it Gothic "5". That would mean they actually acknowledge Arcania, which I'm hoping they ignore as being non-canon.

I want a real Gothic 4 first. :)

If PB does make another Gothic game, I hope they don't title it Gothic "5". That would mean they actually acknowledge Arcania, which I'm hoping they ignore as being non-canon.

I dont see that happening as jowood and spellbound own that title. Copyright issues always bite you in the ass.

I dont see that happening as jowood and spellbound own that title. Copyright issues always bite you in the ass.

That's why I don't think PB will use a number for their next Gothic title, if they indeed develop one. I expect it to just have a sub-title.

Back
Top Bottom