Let's Speculate About Gog Games New Presentation on April 14

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor
Today I saw a sentence in the main page that goes on like this: 'What game made you go to underworld?' This 'underworld' word instantly reminded me of course 'Ultima Underworld". If that's the case, this means gog have made an arrangement with EA and all the Ultima games will come to our good old digital store. And finally, if EA agreed to publish their old games via non-DRM channel that means there is no obstacle left on Gog. Too many guess from one sentence?

I have been on there speculating all day and it certainly seems to be EA. Dungeon Keeper and Ultima Underworld seem the most obvious so far, with the first clue likely being Wing Commander.

Exciting stuff!

If it is EA I'll be happy bloke. Wing Commander, Syndicate, Command & Conquer, Ultima, Dungeon Keeper and so much more could be coming my way soon. Ah.. a man can dream. Then I'll only need Lucas Arts and the No One Lives Forever guys to satisfy my inner gaming child.

EA would be awesome, but I wouldn't bet on it. Also, even if they do get EA on board, the source code for Ultima VII has long been lost, supposedly and the playability in DosBox is so-so, so I'm not sure we'll be seeing the Black Gate or Serpent Isle in the near future.

EA would be awesome, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Any particular reason? EA have released catalog titles DRM free before and all the clues are pretty obvious. The one before the last was obviously Dungeon Keeper.

Well it looks like they're going to reveal one game at a time. The first game is Alone in the Dark. It's $5.99 and also includes Alone in the Dark 2&3.

They also revealed that The Witcher EE: Director's Cut will be available for $9.99 on May 10th.

Ultima could make some sense. Remember this a couple weeks ago? It might be related.

...the source code for Ultima VII has long been lost, supposedly...

I've always wondered about how on Earth the source code for U7 was lost. I mean really, how do you lose such a thing? Does anyone have any insight into how this happened?

I've always wondered about how on Earth the source code for U7 was lost. I mean really, how do you lose such a thing? Does anyone have any insight into how this happened?

Consider that back then hard drives were very small, cd burners did not exist and even company networks were pretty primitive. Backup was likely done to tape, which would be fine, but tapes get over ridden. Add in that EA gutted the Origin over the years, and it's pretty easy to see who the tapes that had the source code easily could have been lost, overridden, etc.

Gog presentation was over yesterday and it seems they made agreements with Electronic Arts, Microsoft, Square Enix/Eidos, Microsoft, Lucas Arts and Take 2.

From RPGcentric point of view that means we will see RPGs below:

Electronic Arts:

The Bard’s Tale Trilogy
Wasteland
Ultima main series
Ultima Underworld I-II
Lands of Lore series
System Shock I-II
Nox
Freedom Force
Hellgate: London
Dungeon Keeper I-II

Microsoft:

Jade Empire
Fable The Lost Chapters
Dungeon Siege I-II
Freelancer

Square Enix/Eidos:

Deus Ex I-II
Anachronox
Thief series

Lucas Arts:

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic I-II

Also there will be new games from Atari. The Witcher has already been announced, so I'm guessing Neverwinter Nights 2 is on the way (which would be perfect to install all the game, expansions and patches with only one install without DRM).

From non-RPGcentric view there're tons of masterpieces like legendary Lucas Arts adventures, Legacy of Kain series, X-com series, Myth series, Alice, Rune, Undying, Jedi Outcast and many more.

Step by step gog.com is becoming my dream site. If they can convince Bethesda and Blizzard in the future then mission will be accomplished. :)

Looks like i registered a disappointed smiley too early, all I saw initally was "alone in the dark" announced.

Would be nice to get the DK's rolling on a newer system

Any links to support that? I've only seen a confirmation about Atari.

" UPDATE: 5:30 p.m. GMT
CDP Days 2011 Spring Conference has just finished and everything is clear now. If you haven't been able to tune in to watch the live stream, don't worry. We've prepared a quick summary of our presentation with a video recap for your convenience. So, let's not wait any longer.

At the very beginning we had to brag a bit about how awesome the service is doing, of course thanks to you - our great users. And then, suddenly, the lights went off, creepy moans started letting out from all over the place while The EnigmaticT tried to discern something in the dark with his flashlight.

Worry not, it was the announcement of Alone in the Dark, that comes with Alone in the Dark 2 and Alone in the Dark 3 as free bonus materials! This great series starts a new wave of Atari games that will be available in the coming weeks! And on 10th of May as the last game from Atari, we'll release The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut. What's even cooler we're going to have a special, time-limited offer that will give you a 50% discount, so the game will cost you only $4.99!

As we're on the subject of The Witcher, we had more cool stuff about its upcoming sequel on GOG.com. Starting on May 10, everyone who pre-order The Witcher 2 on GOG.com will be able to pre-purchase the game and download 90% of the build, so they can play the game on release day! So if you haven't pre-ordered the game yet, you'd better do that before May 16! More details on The Witcher deals can be found here.

Pre-downloading such huge game like The Witcher 2 is some serious business, and you'd need some serious downloader to do that. That's where the GOG.com Spring Site Update comes in! Late April we'll introduce a brand new, improved and slick GOG Downloader which will allow you to download all your GOG games fast and easy. What else? Personal messaging will be now possible for all our users!

But that's not all! At the very end, spotlight was on your favourite French Monk, who had some news regarding new publishers coming to the site. Microsoft, Electronic Arts, LucasArts, Take2 and SquareEnix - one of those publishers is already signed, while two more from the list are almost on board! Which and when is coming? Well, you'll have to wait a bit for that :)
You can watch the video recap of the presentation here. Enjoy! "

Link:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/tune_in_to_watch_cdp_days_2011_spring_conference

Cool… even though that statement is somewhat ambiguous. Hopefully they're able to actually get all five of those companies to sign on.

I'm curious as to which one is already a partner, and which 2 are "almost on board".

Woah this is excellent news!, although nowadays i barely able to catch up in finishing newly released game (Mafia 2, Dragon Age 2, Dead Space 2, etc). I wished i have more free time to play and re-play all those new and old games.

Hmm…, Gog is also getting better at inducing you to buy games that you already bought (from either physical copy or previously not playable on modern PC) with additional bonus/new contents.

Careful guys, Gog has big plan in raiding and invading your wallet ;)

Hmmm, Square did release Final Fantasy 7 and 8 on PC....

I'm curious as to which one is already a partner, and which 2 are "almost on board".

Since the one that has already signed on has "25 titles already agreed to for release this summer" I am going to guess it's EA. I can't imagine Take2 or Square/Eidos having 25 titles right out of the gate and I don't think Lucasarts is one of the companies they have or almost have. Lucasarts is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Microsoft will NEVER be on GOG, or Steam for that matter, and is a moot point.

EA? We can play M.U.L.E. and Archon soon? ;)

They also revealed that The Witcher EE: Director's Cut will be available for $9.99 on May 10th.

AND with a 50% reduction between May 10 and May 24. I am definitely getting this. I've actually held off on buying it until GOG had it.

Also pretty excited about the prospect of MORE golden oldies, like System Shock, Dungeon Keeper and others...

Back
Top Bottom