Let's Speculate About Gog Games New Presentation on April 14

They also revealed that The Witcher EE: Director's Cut will be available for $9.99 on May 10th.

Just looked at the wikipedia page as I didn't know what EE meant. It says The Witcher was published in 2007. Is that right? I thought it was a far more recent publication.

For $9.99, I may finally check it out!

Just looked at the wikipedia page as I didn't know what EE meant. It says The Witcher was published in 2007. Is that right? I thought it was a far more recent publication.

For $9.99, I may finally check it out!

Yeah the original game was released in late 2007, and then the Enhanced Edition was a year later.

I think it's great that they're putting it on gog, but May 10th is cutting too close to the release of TW2, imo.

It's a classic though, imo. Definitely in my top ten crpgs.

In no particular order..

Gothic
Gothic 2 + NotR
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
V:TM-Bloodlines
The Witcher
System Shock 2
Deus Ex

Ok.. I guess that's 8. It's hard to name the last 2 because there's so many games I've enjoyed over the years, but those are the ones that stand out.

Gothic 3, Wizardry 8, Arx Fatalis, Morrowind, Risen, and Fallout 3 could probably fight over those last 2 spots. :)

Last edited:
If you liked Fallout 3 you are going to be insanely in love with New Vegas.

Two more games connected to that presentation have been released.

Star Control 1+2 was actually released earlier in the week, and Desperados was just released today.

Three more games to be revealed, with the hints being..

"What game made you fear your past?"
"What game made you go to the underworld?"
"What game made you feel like a hero?"

Three more games to be revealed, with the hints being..

"What game made you fear your past?"
"What game made you go to the underworld?"
"What game made you feel like a hero?"

I would go with Arx Fatalis as a guess, but seeing as how they already have that, perhaps it's Ultima Underworld?

I would go with Arx Fatalis as a guess, but seeing as how they already have that, perhaps it's Ultima Underworld?

I wish that could be a possibility, but remember that the games being revealed were all published by Atari.

*Edit*
I'm thinking it might be D&D: Dragonshard.

Last edited:
I wish that could be a possibility, but remember that the games being revealed were all published by Atari.

*Edit*
I'm thinking it might be D&D: Dragonshard.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. Curse you EA!!

UU1+2 are actually the only Ultima games that I've played…if Gog somehow secures the rights to sell the series and make them capable of running on modern systems without dosbox or any other emulators/workarounds required, that would probably get me to finally play a few of the other games from the series. Speaking of which, I need to find my UU copy…finding it should be a nice quest in of itself :)

edit: Is Dragonshard any good? I haven't heard very much about it, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't it some sort of strategy game?

edit: Is Dragonshard any good? I haven't heard very much about it, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't it some sort of strategy game?

Yes, it's an RTS game with some RPG elements. It uses the Eberron campaign setting and has dual-layer maps. I thought it was a pretty average game, and I don't think I would ever replay it. The single-player campaign was a bit on the short side, and I found the setting and characters somewhat forgettable.

I think the "What game made you fear your past?" might be Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy).

Dragonshard was a D&D RTS. It made no splash whatsoever, and I think I'm one of the ten people who really liked it and played it to death!

I'd buy it but I hate RTS games.

On a side note GOG now has a Jowood sale going and they're strongly hinting the Jowood catalog might vanish after the sale is over, so if you want Gothic 2 or some of their other games now is the time to grab them.

Gha!! From the end of the sale announcement:

Since you guys are all going to be asking: we don't know what the future holds for JoWooD. To be safe, though, we recommend that you download any JoWooD titles you've purchased--either from this promo or not--and archive a backup of the GOG installer, because it never hurts to be safe.

So a pretty big deal tacked on to the end of a pretty big deal.

Indeed.

The cool thing about GOG obviously is that they're DRM free, so as long as you backup your games you'll never lose them. If a game is ever pulled completely from Steam due to legal issues you won't be able to say the same there, due to the required activation.

That said Steam has never had that problem as of yet and we don't know what they might do should it ever arise. They might patch the activation out before removing it from your game list or something to that effect.

Sounds like a good ploy to get you to buy their Jowood pack asap, if I was a cynic...

So they may remove Jowood games from their catalog, and users who paid for the games may suddenly lose them if they dont back them up? That's pretty fucked up!

Looks like I better get downloading, thankfully all that I have is Spellforce platinum

Sounds like a good ploy to get you to buy their Jowood pack asap, if I was a cynic…

It's a very real threat, they've lost games before. If the Jowood IP and catalog are sold to companies that do not want them sold on GOG they will be pulled. Depending on the situation they might be pulled from your game list, this has already happened on GOG before with some racing game.

So they may remove Jowood games from their catalog, and users who paid for the games may suddenly lose them if they dont back them up? That's pretty fucked up!

You should be backing up everything on GOG, that's the point of it being DRM free. One of the things they were trying to do with the fake site closure that they talked about in interviews is make you realize sites like GOG, Steam, Gamersgate and such are temporary, they will not be around forever. Back up your purchases and support DRM free!

Back
Top Bottom