Lords of the Fallen - Now Available & Reviews

Dark Souls 2 doesn't give you a Hollywood style story with a happy ending all neatly tied up and concluded.

Either does real life.

But there is a story unfolding in your life comprised of the events that take place within it.

Your Dark Souls 2 story will be different to everyone else, as your real life will be, but they all start the same way.

Consciousness begins.

I think therefore I am.

What do you see? What do you discover?

What have you learned about yourself through the events in the game? Lose your temper? Try to shift the blame from yourself to the game in your frustration?

What interactions with other "souls" do you seemingly randomly encounter on your walk through "life". I wonder what their journey has been like? Surely similar, surely different. We all face many of the same issues in real life as we're pushed from institution to institution from birth, yet we all feel unique.

No one wants to be told their story. You'd probably be offended if anyone tried. If you could learn the date you are to die in the future would this information be a blessing or a curse to you?

Dark Souls 2 shares many of the themes of real life.

The story of your life is yours to write. Life has no apparent purpose, we're born alone, we die alone, our time alive is finite, and yet, like the games NPC Lucatiel, it's so precious to us we'd likely kill another to preserve whatever time we have left of it - even as we're unaware how long that may be…

Mortality is the curse we're all born with and this theme has never been more fully realised than in the Dark Souls games.

Thank you Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The creator of the game even said it's based on his childhood half-comprehension of various english fantasy novels (he barely knew english). I claim most of the Souls "story" is BS gobbledygook obsessed on by a bunch of stoned kids in college dorms and far less lucid than Twilight fan-fic, but it looks like you have a different opinion.

A Rorshcach ink-blot basis for a video game is an interesting idea, but don't try to tell me it's a profound or even particularly deep story.

Would it be fair to say LOTF is a modern mortal combat/street fighter kind of game told in 3d with exploration and some kind of narrative?

I don't know those games, but google some gameplay footage. You go around through various environments with checkpoints. Driven forward, you encounter enemies which you kill with various fantasy medieval weapons and armor. The fights are tactical in that you dodge, block, cast simple spells. Sometimes the enemies will drop consumables or items. You need to save at checkpoints where you can replenish health and simply move on, or "bank" the XP you have into raising stats. There's chests and pieces of lore scattered about, destructible items and furniture with hidden things. Keep going and fight a boss. Met a few NPCs so far with some choices to make. Not sure how consequential the choices are though. You're caught in a situation to get through so it's not going to have an open world with towns and stuff.

There's some link with five hours of gameplay (!!!) if you search around.

I claim most of the Souls "story" is BS gobbledygook obsessed on by a bunch of stoned kids in college dorms and far less lucid than Twilight fan-fic, but it looks like you have a different opinion.

I suppose then the question is "what is art?"

Shallow experiences are for shallow people.

Enjoy that Twilight fan-fiction.

Would it be fair to say LOTF is a modern mortal combat/street fighter kind of game told in 3d with exploration and some kind of narrative?

No combat is more realistic and not nearly as arcadey. Each different weapon has weight and feels different when used. Also you have stats and character progression.

Although, I've said it before and I'll say it again I'd love to see an rpg in the mortal combat universe and using it's combat system.

Thank you Obi-Wan Kenobi.
etc, etc.

I just noticed your little "like" at the end of this drivel, Couchpotato. I guess the funny part is no one here will realise how moronic what Ovenall has said is.

I am talking philosophically about how Dark Souls 2 is not some cheap, trashy Hollywood story and to look deeper for the stories it can bring you and the only philosopher he can think of is fucking Obi-Wan Kenobi.

You gotta laugh

I suppose then the question is "what is art?"

Shallow experiences are for shallow people.

Enjoy that Twilight fan-fiction.

Lighten up. I never said DS was shallow, just that people read way more into it tha it really offers. I can imagine the writers and producers laughing at some of the fan theories, not that that's a bad thing.

Again, an interesting idea for a game.

I was kind of interested but after reading some disturbing posts about DRM that it uses I will have to say my answer is a big no until they remove it. If they don't I won't buy it.

There was a big stickied thread about it on Steam that was removed. Something about code obfuscation and an oudated Drm program that doesn't work with 64 bit any ways. I saw a post on Reddit also concerning it but after doing some more research I have come to the conclusion that there isn't enough evidence to conclusively say there is Drm.
Yet.

However, enough people are having problems running the game to make me want to stay clear of it.

What drm other than steam?
The following link should explain the new Ant-Piracy DRM called Denuvo.

Link - http://www.dsogaming.com/news/lords...-to-new-drm-solution-three-days-and-counting/
Lords of the Fallen uses a new DRM solution from Denuvo. According to its description, this DRM has new code protection features to stop the latest cracking software and cracker issues.
Thankfully they released a new 5GB patch that fixes the problems it caused.

Back
Top Bottom