Max Payne 3 announced

But you do realize that the first two Max Payne games were also relatively short (for their time) rail shooters, don't you? Nevertheless they had high replayability and offered a lot of value.

I played max payne 1 and 2 long ago and I think it took me about 10 hours to finish each. There was also the opportunity to re-play the same stages again to beat previous scores, which added some replayability. But that was along ago and times have changed to 6 hour shooters. We will wait and see how this one turns up.

I also realise Skyrim and max payne are targeted towards different playstyles and therefore audiance, but that does not mean a shooter can't be longer than 6 hours or has replay features (e.g. separate co-op that can be played solo or split-screen) to warrant the full price! But I guess publishers want you finish the game quickly so that you can buy their next installement.

I played max payne 1 and 2 long ago and I think it took me about 10 hours to finish each. There was also the opportunity to re-play the same stages again to beat previous scores, which added some replayability. But that was along ago and times have changed to 6 hour shooters. We will wait and see how this one turns up.

I don't really remember the details about the first game because it was on the index until last week. MP 2 had a different ending on a higher difficulty level, Rockstar offered bonus levels for download, there are a gazillion mods. I think the replayability is high. It's one of the few games I install on every new PC, and then I generally finish it more than once.

The latest in the series of videos was released by Rockstar, and it features the new "graphic style novel" approach they're taking which is said to replace the static graphic novel style that was used in MP1 & 2. I'm not sure how I feel about the new style. It seems a bit too focused on being action-packed and less on having mood and atmosphere as the old static ones were. What do you guys think?\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69iDdW4lGCA

Cannot view the video without signing in so I'm boycotting yt for this.

I dont play many action games but I really enjoyed these games due to the style and good story telling. The fact that Multiplayer is the first feature on the features page tells me enough about what they are thinking. I'm not sure I'd buy this as its pitched. Unfortunately, this is probably what sells to the younger generation which may not even be aware of the Max Payne franchise prior to this.

This video should work without logging in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXW81uFbj-M

I'm not too disturbed about multiplayer. If it were done correctly it could be really fun. And that's what I'm hoping. That Rockstart does a good job with it. They did with GTA and Red Dead Redemption, and I'm hoping they pull if off with Max Payne 3. I just hope to hell it's longer than Max Payne 2.

Thanks that link works better. I think I liked the older novel style better but would get over it. It does look like they put some attention to detail on animation. I'm guessing the exploration they point out is really not that open but I will say that I'm slightly more intrigued but probably not enough to buy on day one. If I hear it is done as well as say Uncharted that would likely be enough for me to pickup I think.

Well I'm at chapter 4 and I'm having a blast. The gameplay is just cool as hell. It's pretty much like MP1/2 but a bit more realistic. In the sense that Max just looks like he has more weight when he throws his weight around. When you shootdodge you have to make sure not to bump into walls/objects or you'll stumble.

Another thing which was a bit weird at first is the fact that your targeting cursor movement speed gets reduced a lot while in shootdodge. It was pretty annoying at first, but now I just find it a nice balance, and think it quite fits the gameplay. I mean it wasn't really realistic for Max to be able to turn from a face-down position to a face-up position in a split-second. Now it takes a bit more time to turn and target.

And I find the mixture of using cover and bullettime/shootdodge quite a nice gameplay mechanics. Initially I thought I'd only use shootdodge, but quite a nice respite to reload your guns, and jump back into the fray.

I also did 2 rounds of multiplayer which I quite enjoyed. At first they felt very frantic in that I died left and right, but I soon got the gist of it and started killing people myself. But it's very satisfying when you do a shootdodge and gun someone down before they gun you down. They actually implemented bullet-time in a nice way. And it's not overused at all. About 50% of my jumps were normal jumps, and 50% were bullet-time jumps. But then again I'm still at lvl 3 of 50 of character levels.

Lots of advertisements for that game here.

And I mean outside of computer/video games related magazines !

Yeah I heard they had a very big budget for marketing the game. But the game itself is very good. I think I'm half way through and it's a cool roller-coaster ride. The story isn't anything extraordinary, but it's ok and doesn't embarrass either. The presentation on the other hand is great. Very cinematic. And the game looks amazing on my system @1920x1200 with 99% stuff set to maximum graphical settings, on my Q6600 @ 2.4 and gtx 560 ti. It's very nicely optimized and not the mess that the pc port of GTA 4 was.

The only thing missing is a better atmosphere like MP1 had. But there are flash-back levels in New Jersey. Those are particularly nice.

Glad to hear the PC port is solid. I was a little worried since it wasn't PC first like Max Payne 1&2. I'm definitely going to give it a try. I'm just debating if I'm going to replay the prequels first.

GamersGlobal updated their review with the PC version. PC looks like a million bucks if you have the right hardware. Clearly the version to go.

Glad to hear the PC port is solid. I was a little worried since it wasn't PC first like Max Payne 1&2. I'm definitely going to give it a try. I'm just debating if I'm going to replay the prequels first.

I did encounter a bug which corrupted my latest saved checkpoint, but closing the game and restarting it fixed it. I've had no other bug or issue besides that. But other people have not been so fortunate. Others are reporting different issues with it. Some wit decrypting the steam version after downloading it, some with activating, some with nvidia drivers or those c++ redistributable dlls. But I've had none of that. Got the steam version and it worked wonders. Oh, I did get one crash during an online multiplayer match, during matchmaking. But other than that it was flawless.

Here's an amazing closeup of Max ingame. The graphics are just amazing.

Last edited:
Enabling MSAA takes allot of power that's were the higher requirements come into play. I played mostly with it off for the sake of a higher frame rate. As you can see in the graph below MSAA deals a heavy blow to your processing power.

graph-620x.jpg
Click to enlarge picture.

I just tried installing my original retail copy of Max Payne 1 only to discover that it won't run correctly in Win 7 64. Looks like I'll have to purchase MP 1&2 on Steam now. :-/

Back
Top Bottom