Microsoft Games - Closes multiple Studios

Ultimately this is what happened.:cool:

Nothing new from EA unfortunately they have shilled live service games for two decades now. Their former CEO even admitted SP games are dead, and canceled a bunch of IP's.

Pfft...I'm all for Obsidian and Inxile being merged. Maybe they can finish games faster.:brood:

Anyway like I said already that expensive deal drained the coffers.

I'd go even further. Put them all to work on Call of Duty content. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Knock-on-wood.
I can see the pitch already and the reality is it was done with Mass Effect.

Anyway I'm sure some suit has probably pitched the idea already.

View: https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1788301908903391376

This comes after closing down Arkane Austin, Tango Gameworks and other Bethesda studios. Xbox Game Pass has also not seen the growth that leadership had been hoping for, with non-mobile gaming subscription spending "flat to low single-digit growth" since 2021.

Good thing they bet the farm on gamepass then.
Before their closures, Tango Gameworks was in the process of pitching a sequel to Hi-Fi Rush and Arkane Austin was "looking to return to its roots by pitching a new single-player "immersive sim" game, such as a new entry in the Dishonored series".

So it seems Austin was indeed planning on pitching a new Dishonored. :(
Ah, it's better this way. I never wanted it in the first place. 💀

but it was absolutely a major flop compared to expectations.
Possibly. I find your language a bit exaggerated though. These games costed less than 10 million dollars and made that back. For me a major flop is something that loses 10's or even 100's of millions.

When I invested in WL3 some of the documentation I received showed great returns for WL2 and positive returns for Torment and the forcast plan for BTIV to break even. WL3 ended up being one of the better investments I have made (132% return in a couple of years). After the Microsoft acquisition no more number were forthcoming.

Torment: Planescape never sold well. It was generally regarded as a failure sales wise despite quickly becoming a cult favourite. I don't think there was ever the expectation that a spiritual sequel would do crazy numbers - just like for BT4 (although BT1-3 did well for the time they were released - sales in the 10 thousands). I have no doubt that Brian and the team made BT4 because of Brian's nostalgia and the fact that he knew there are a bunch of people who felt the same. They were never going to be as successful as Wasteland 2/3.

As for Torment, it could have been slightly profitable but it was absolutely a major flop compared to expectations. It was supposed to be the spiritual sequel to one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

Here's vginsights' numbers for units sold on Steam:
Wasteland 2: 673K
Wasteland 3: 581K
Torment: 308K
Bard's Tale IV: 58K on the original release, 38K on Director's Cut (not sure how the overlap works)
Torment at least had the best KS of them all so it could be an ok project. First Torment wasnt big hit in sales either so the sequel (with almost no combat) was hardly expected to really smash sales. BTW There are rumors that Fargo used money from Torment to finish WL2 and partially fund Bards Tale IV.
Bards Tale was the worst flop. But Wasteland 3 had the biggest budget so if sales are worse than WL2 then it doesnt look good. They definitely expected more from WL3.

Torment at least had the best KS of them all so it could be an ok project. First Torment wasnt big hit in sales either so the sequel (with almost no combat) was hardly expected to really smash sales. BTW There are rumors that Fargo used money from Torment to finish WL2 and partially fund Bards Tale IV.
Bards Tale was the worst flop. But Wasteland 3 had the biggest budget so if sales are worse than WL2 then it doesnt look good. They definitely expected more from WL3.
Those estimates we're seeing are just Steam though, W3 probably did a lot better than W2 on consoles since it was bigger budget and flashier.

Those estimates we're seeing are just Steam though, W3 probably did a lot better than W2 on consoles since it was bigger budget and flashier.
W3 is also available on more store fronts. I think both are on Gamepass as well. vginsights is good for relative comparisons generally but it can be widely inaccurate for niche titles due to how they derive numbers (Kickstarter/Indie games in particular). The best example is AoD. The numbers on their were very different from what Vince said they actually did a few years ago.

W3 is also available on more store fronts. I think both are on Gamepass as well. vginsights is good for relative comparisons generally but it can be widely inaccurate for niche titles due to how they derive numbers (Kickstarter/Indie games in particular). The best example is AoD. The numbers on their were very different from what Vince said they actually did a few years ago.
Yeah the GamePass thing is a good point, quite likely explains why W3 sold less than W2 on Steam.

Regarding AoD, I've noticed the same thing in the past. VD posted that it'd sold 225K copies, 3 years ago, so it's probably 250-300K by now...but vginsights says half that. I definitely don't trust their numbers all that much, but it's better than nothing. SteamSpy's numbers for AoD today are 225K, so it's a lot closer to reality, but on the other hand, SteamSpy's numbers for BG3 are ludicrous (32M).

Back
Top Bottom