Middle East News 3

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO
Since the other M-E news threads have drifted off the front page, it's time for a new one. Let's start on a high note: here's a contrarian opinion on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, arguing that the stars are finally right, R'Lyeh will rise, and peace is about to break out over Israel:

[ http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1&categ_id=5&article_id=101194 ]

Salient points:
* The Arab states are spooked by Iran, and have realized that the conflict plays right into its hands. IOW, they (finally) genuinely want to resolve it.
* The Israeli elite has realized that the current policy (whatever it is) has reached a dead end; that there really is no military solution to the conflict.
* Only a really mean right-wing government is capable of imposing the kind of stuff on the settlers that's required for a peace treaty to stick.
* Netanyahu has personally assured the author that underneath that rugged exterior he's really a great big softy who spends most of his spare time rescuing and caring for stray kittens.
* Hillary really, really, REALLY wants a Nobel peace prize.
* Abbas would like one too.

There's more; the article's worth a read. I really wish I could share the guy's optimism.

Interesting article. This guy seems to have taken a couple hits off the Hopey Change Bong, but let's take a look. I'm going to tick off your summary points (I'm not disputing the summary at all).

1) Really? I understand that Iran is supposedly stirring the pot in a lot of Arab states, but I've always taken that on roughly the same level as Ahmad-whatever and Chavez stirring the pot in the US. Worth noting, but largely pointless. Are the Egyptians and Saudis really worried about being undermined by wackos from Iran?
2) They haven't changed that policy in 50 years. Occasionally, they take a breath, but I haven't seen any real change. Why now?
3) I'll agree with that one.
4) Yeah, I'm convinced just as much as you.
5) Now THAT, I'll completely believe.
6) "A" comes before "R", "C", or "R-C". That's going to be a problem. Think they could get a new leader with a name at the end of the alphabet, pronto?

Interesting article. This guy seems to have taken a couple hits off the Hopey Change Bong, but let's take a look. I'm going to tick off your summary points (I'm not disputing the summary at all).

More than just a couple, I'd say.

1) Really? I understand that Iran is supposedly stirring the pot in a lot of Arab states, but I've always taken that on roughly the same level as Ahmad-whatever and Chavez stirring the pot in the US. Worth noting, but largely pointless. Are the Egyptians and Saudis really worried about being undermined by wackos from Iran?

There's actually something to this notion. Iran has been on the ascendant ever since the Islamic revolution. Ever since Hafez al-Assad croaked, they appointed themselves torchbearer for the Palestinians, and backed it up with action -- e.g. bankrolling the Hezbollah big-time. The Arab street is majorly pissed off at the Egyptian government for cooperating with Israel during the Gaza dustup (which is why Egypt is now making a lot of noise about a Hezb cell it busted in Sinai, but that's another story). So yeah, the Arab elites really are a bit paranoid about the Iranians. Having the Zionists and Americans as scapegoats for everything was convenient enough as long as it lasted, but with Iran showing how it's really done, it doesn't wash anymore. So there really is some wish there to get their own house in order in order to stop Iran from dominating the landscape. There are concrete things to point at, too -- in particular, Syria's gradual reorientation of its policy; they've cooled noticeably toward Iran, liberalized their economy (although not their police state), and established pretty cordial relations with Saudi Arabia.

So yeah, this argument isn't entirely without merit. Previously none of the Arab states really had much to gain from an Israeli-Palestinian peace accord; now they do. When incentives shift, behavior changes. I think it's worth paying close attention to the noises coming out of the Arab League in the coming months.

2) They haven't changed that policy in 50 years. Occasionally, they take a breath, but I haven't seen any real change. Why now?

Good question. I think there may be more than a little wishful thinking here, but then again it's conceivable that if they keep doing the same thing for 50 years and it never nets them any more than very temporary gains, they might *eventually* decide to try something else.

3) I'll agree with that one.
4) Yeah, I'm convinced just as much as you.
5) Now THAT, I'll completely believe.
6) "A" comes before "R", "C", or "R-C". That's going to be a problem. Think they could get a new leader with a name at the end of the alphabet, pronto?

Well, they do also call him Abu Mazen. And there are always the Hamas bosses, Mahmoud Zahar and Khaled Meshaal. Zahar at least is far enough down the alphabet...

You've definitely got more options if the Ice Queen graciously accepts her Nobel as simply "Clinton", but I bet she works "Rodham" in there somehow (in anticipation of her widowhood), so you're going to have to dig up Israeli and Palestinian leaders found at the very back of the phonebook. Otherwise, I think sharing is right out. Abbas hasn't got a prayer. ;)

Iran Conference!

Hey guys,

I went to a presentation at the Center of National Policy (http://www.cnponline.org/ht/display/EventDetails/i/12865) today. The conference was entitled "Iranian Non-Proliferation Policy: New Directions or Old Problems?" and was given by Former Ambassador Nicholas Burns, who currently teaches at... Harvard, I believe. He was the former U.S. ambassador to NATO, served in the State Department for thirty years, and was also the point man for W's Iran team. It was a fascinating presentation and I'm trying to find a video since my notes don't do it justice - if they post a video on their website I'll link to it here (I also saw CNN and CSPAN cameras as well, so you may see bits of this on the news...)

Anyways, my notes follow:

1) Greater Middle East is the most vital arena for U.S. interests.
2) Three challenges face the United States:
A)Iran wants nuclear weapons.
i)No one in the diplomatic world doubts this, regardless of their country of origin.
ii)Would fundamentally change the balance of power in the Middle East.
iii)Iran refused to tell IAEA many details of their "civilian" program lends further weight to this belief.​
B) Government of Iran funds and directs most of the terrorist groups in the greater Middle East
C) Iran has chosen to use its influence in Iraq and Afghanistan destructively.
3)America does not understand Iran, no relations for 30 years.
4) U.S. should try to use diplomatic engagement first and attempt to influence Iranian policy.
5) Bush Administration offered Iranians negotiations in 2006 with the pre-condition that they stop enriching uranium.
A)Was rejected by Iran
B)The Ambassador believes it is good that this condition has been dropped.​
6)President will need to be very tough minded.
A)Leave force as an option on the table
B) should probably set a time table/deadline for talks so the Iranians can't drag things out until they develop a nuke.​
7) Why not use force first?
A) Have not given diplomacy a chance to work in the past 30 years.
B) Iranians would hit back using asymmetrical warfare​
C) Would be unconscionable to use force without trying diplomacy first.
8) Why Diplomacy?
A) Will never know if a peaceful solution is possible unless we try to create one.
B) It will give the U.S. international credibility.
C) Diplomacy has no downside.
i) If we are lucky, we will have progress.
ii) If we are unlucky, then we can institute "draconian sanctions" with a far greater likelihood of international cooperation​
9) There are no bridges between the societies of U.S. and Iran. A) should try to bring Iranian students to U.S.
B) continue/expand on ecumenical conferences between religious leaders
C) increase access to more journalists and business people, etc​
10) Must have Russia, China, and Arab states willing to join us in our negotiations and implement sanctions should negotiations fail.
11) Military and diplomacy need to be linked.
12) U.S. people and politicians must remain patient with process.
A) Risk of certain groups claiming negotiations have "failed" after only a few weeks or months
B) Obama needs to be given breathing room to make a solution happen if possible

There were some interesting questions asked, too - one point made was that even though Iran has the right to domestically enrich Uranium under the NPT that the U.S./negotiating partners should refuse to allow Iran to do so (for the time being) because they have proven to be untrustworthy.

Anyways, hope you guys find this interesting.

Sounds like an interesting conference, Rithrandil. And it sounds like good analysis too.

I wonder how the CNP would have responded to the guy who asked McCain the "When are we going to start bombing Iran?" question. "Bomb, bomb, bomb...bomb, bomb Iran" obviously didn't cut it for McCain.

Sounds like an interesting conference, Rithrandil. And it sounds like good analysis too.

I wonder how the CNP would have responded to the guy who asked McCain the "When are we going to start bombing Iran?" question. "Bomb, bomb, bomb...bomb, bomb Iran" obviously didn't cut it for McCain.

Thanks. Someone asked him what the upper time limit for talks should be and he didn't want to give an answer - as he put it, the Obama administration has a lot of smart people working on this and they don't need free advice from him. He honestly thinks that diplomacy or tough sanctions w/ the backing of other powers could work - and I have to agree with him.

He also gave a quick mention of why he/everyone believes Iran is developing nukes - he said the recent IAEA reports have shown many, many areas where Iran refused to cooperate with the IAEA about inspections, that Iran has rejected multiple plans (including ones put forth by Russia and China) that would involve international help building civilian nuclear facilities, but that enrichment would take place in another country (probably Russia) and that either France, Germany, or Russia would take in the spent nuclear material from the reactors. The Ambassador said that these things raised giant red flags and make little sense to do unless you have some other designs for your nuclear program.

There were some interesting questions asked, too - one point made was that even though Iran has the right to domestically enrich Uranium under the NPT that the U.S./negotiating partners should refuse to allow Iran to do so (for the time being) because they have proven to be untrustworthy.

Anyways, hope you guys find this interesting.
Very interesting analysis. It's this bit at the end that really troubles me, though. This is also at the root at my disagreement with PJ over Saddam. It's Dubya-grade logic, but it's enthusiastically endorsed. A scene, if you will:

Expert: OK, that country over there has proven time and again they cannot be trusted, so keep in mind that the best way to tell when they're lying is when their lips move. Half of what they tell you will be damn lies, but the other half will just be completely untrue.

"Enlightened" Euro/UN leader: Well, shit fire, boys, the only way we're going to accomplish anything is to spend the next couple years negotiating with them. Using our awesome powers of oral grati...errr...persuasion, we'll get them to pinky-promise. Maybe, if things go really well, we'll sign a non-binding agreement or two!

Expert: Ummm, did you hear the part about "cannot be trusted"?

OK, OK, that's a little snarky. But seriously, somebody has got to explain this logic to me.

I am sure everyone is aware of this already, but another important point is that Iran's policy is primarily focused inwards: even for moderate Iranians -- that is the vast and politically relevant majority -- a nuclear weapons program is both a matter of national pride and of security through deterrence. Even more generally, ask anyone in the Arab world, and they are likely to applaud the idea of Iran having the atomic bomb. Therefore, it makes perfect sense at least for their domestic policy to create the illusion of a nuclear weapons programme even if this is not their primary goal. No one knows for sure how far they have progressed in producing weapons-grade uranium due to lack of cooperation with the IAEA and regardless of their real ambitions, they will want to keep it that way.

Of course, the need for nuclear weapons as a deterrent will decrease if the US keeps a more peaceful stance, also for the general population, and the idea of a nuclear weapons program will be slightly less useful. Still, to give them enough incentive to drop this likely project openly and fully cooperate with the IAEA must take a major diplomatic effort. Quick success is not likely, as Amb. Burns noted.

I am sure everyone is aware of this already, but another important point is that Iran's policy is primarily focused inwards: even for moderate Iranians -- that is the vast and politically relevant majority -- a nuclear weapons program is both a matter of national pride and of security through deterrence. Even more generally, ask anyone in the Arab world, and they are likely to applaud the idea of Iran having the atomic bomb. Therefore, it makes perfect sense at least for their domestic policy to create the illusion of a nuclear weapons programme even if this is not their primary goal. No one knows for sure how far they have progressed in producing weapons-grade uranium due to lack of cooperation with the IAEA and regardless of their real ambitions, they will want to keep it that way.

Of course, the need for nuclear weapons as a deterrent will decrease if the US keeps a more peaceful stance, also for the general population, and the idea of a nuclear weapons program will be slightly less useful. Still, to give them enough incentive to drop this likely project openly and fully cooperate with the IAEA must take a major diplomatic effort. Quick success is not likely, as Amb. Burns noted.

I have to disagree with a lot of your points - most Iranians are in favor of a civil nuclear program, not a military weapons program. Also, I can't think of a single Arab state (except possibly Syria) that wants Iran to have a bomb - Arabs and Persians don't get along, after all. In fact, if Iran gets a bomb, the next likely outcome is Egypt and/or Saudi Arabia developing their own as well. The Arabs stand to lose as much as we do (or more, honestly) from a nuclear-armed Iran.

Very interesting recap, thanks again, Rith.

Not surprisingly given his background, the speaker talked a quite a bit about the "military option." There's at least one major problem with this thinking: America has no credible military options regarding Iran at this time, and Iran knows it. That means that "keeping it on the table" -- as in, talking about it -- will simply irritate rather than put real pressure on anyone.

To elaborate: the American public isn't in the mood for another ground war, and the military -- especially the Army and Marines -- are already fully committed, if not over-committed, between Iraq and Afghanistan. The American surface fleet is extremely vulnerable in tight waters like the Persian Gulf. That means that the only thing America could do is an air campaign -- and given that Iran's nuclear program is dispersed, hidden, and hardened, this would be at most a temporary setback to it. And, of course, Iran would make the USA pay a very high price for it on all fronts. It's also virtually certain that such an attack would cause the Iranians to drop their differences and rally around the flag; hoping for a spontaneous uprising and revolution is a pipe dream.

So, until these things change, the USA simply does not *have* a military option vis a vis Iran, which makes "keeping it on the table" rather pointless IMO.

Second, I believe the odds of being able to successfully deter Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon are low, and until the structural reasons that make them want it change, they're as good as nil. They want the bomb because Israel has the bomb, and they perceive (rightly, IMO) that of all the nuclear countries in the world, Israel has the itchiest trigger finger. From the Iranian POV, nuclear weapons are a deterrent against a first strike by Israel.

That means that if we want Iran to give up the bomb, we must somehow get them to believe that Israel will never use theirs against it, even if they have no retaliatory capacity of their own. I have no idea how we could do that, but it certainly can't be done without resolving the Israeli/Palestinian conflict -- and quite likely not even then.

A possible alternative is that Iran is given explicit security guarantees against an Israeli nuclear strike by a third country. For example, if Russia gave credible guarantees that it will retaliate with a nuclear strike against Israel should Israel make a nuclear strike against Iran, the picture might look rather different. However, I don't think this is realistic, and even if it was, the Iranian paranoia about foreign interference make it less than certain to succeed.

So, in my opinion:

(1) Yes, we should most definitely continue to use all diplomatic avenues to pressure, bribe, cajole, or trick Iran to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions. I think the odds of this succeeding are fairly slim, though.

(2) No, I don't think there's any point keeping the "military option" on the table, for the simple reason that there isn't one available right now.

(3) I believe our best remaining option is to make it as costly as possible for Iran to actually test a nuclear weapon -- which is something they cannot do in secret. This, I believe, is an achievable objective. (Of course, it's impossible to get to the final stage of having a deployable weapon without testing a proof-of-concept device first.)

First, we should integrate the Iranian economy with the global economy as deeply as possible, and engage with the Iranian government as broadly as feasible. Iran should receive immediate and tangible benefits from this engagement. The less they have to lose, the less leverage we have, so we must give them something to lose. This is why North Korea is such a PITA -- they don't WANT to engage with anyone, which means they can do whatever the hell they want, and there's not a whole lot we can do to pressure them to do otherwise. The huge difference is that Iran WANTS to engage with the world. This is something we have totally failed to exploit, and should.

Second, we make it absolutely clear that if they ever test a nuclear weapon, all these benefits will be immediately taken away, and the country will be put under sanctions every bit as tight as North Korea's.

Third, we should work as hard as possible to defuse the tensions motivating Iran to pursue a nuclear weapons program, and to build confidence with it, in the hopes of getting it to deprioritise it, and then allow better and more stringent inspections. If we're successful, by the time Iran does have nuclear capability, it won't be much more dangerous than France's.

And fourth, we should prepare for the eventuality where, despite our best efforts, Iran does get a nuclear weapon. That won't be the end of the world. When it comes to nukes, two are better than one: the only use of atomic bombs in anger happened when one country had the global monopoly on them. Israel has had nuclear weapons for a quite a while now, it's in a very bad neighborhood, and it hasn't used them. Nuclear parity between Israel and Iran would have a deterrent effect, and therefore Iranian nukes might not spell the end of the world after all.

Last edited:
To counter dte's scenario, I'd offer this one:

The scene: The UN General Assembly, televised to the world:

Rainbows Unicorns (spokesman for the Free World): Yo, bearded dudes with turbans! Here, we want to conclude a free trade agreement, visa waiver agreement, and cultural exchange program with you right now. Hell, we'll even throw in a Starbucks in every hamlet. We really like your pistachios or whatever it is you grow there, you know. No strings attached. Nothing. Nuh-uh. What d'you say?

Them: Wow, dudes! That's really big of you. Sure, we're in!

The scene: Smoky back room in some embassy somewhere, six months later, after the public celebrations in Teheran of the broad range of agreements proposed above.

Dagger Velvet: Mr. Mullah, there is something that's so obvious Mr. Unicorns completely forgot to mention it in his inspiring speech yesterday. While we have no doubts at all about your sincerity regarding your intentions in your pursuit of nuclear technology, if to our chagrin it turns out that you are, in fact, developing nuclear weapons -- a nuclear test picked up by our instruments, say -- you do understand that as painful as it would be to us, we would be forced to immediately terminate all the agreements so graciously offered by Mr. Unicorns yesterday. In fact, it is likely that you will have hurt Mr. Unicorns' feelings so deeply that he would, despite the pain this would cause him, be forced to impose a complete economic blockade upon Iran on the North Korean model. I am quite confident this situation would never arise, am I not right?

I have to disagree with a lot of your points - most Iranians are in favor of a civil nuclear program, not a military weapons program.

Thanks for your criticism. My position on this is mostly from talking to Arab people a while back. I found this article on the net, but it is even older, from 2003: http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/20753/story.htm

Did this change in the meantime? Keep in mind that I am not disputing that Iranians are in favor of a civil nuclear programme, I am just saying that they are also in favor of the nuclear weapons programme, even if they will probably adopt their countries stance in part and not shout this out to any random journalist / western official who looks in their direction.

Also, I can't think of a single Arab state (except possibly Syria) that wants Iran to have a bomb - Arabs and Persians don't get along, after all. In fact, if Iran gets a bomb, the next likely outcome is Egypt and/or Saudi Arabia developing their own as well. The Arabs stand to lose as much as we do (or more, honestly) from a nuclear-armed Iran.

Completely agree here. However, I was not talking about governments at all, but about the people on the street. If you have any polls / articles to back up either of our claims I would be very interested.

By the way, I agree that Iran and its people will be worried about Israel mostly, therefore the value of the nuclear bomb as a deterrent can not be diminished by much by the US alone. Still, among the population, I think a lot of people are looking towards the US; by its economic power, overarching media presence and influence in the rest of the world it might have a larger impact among the population than is more rationally perceived by the Iran government.

Alright, I looked a little further and found two interesting articles:
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/p...astnafricara/527.php?lb=btis&pnt=527&nid=&id=
and on the same site:
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/p...astnafricara/469.php?lb=btis&pnt=469&nid=&id=

According to the latter article, "only" 20% of the Iran population openly supports a nuclear weapons programme. It is difficult to say how many oppose an Iranian nuclear weapons programme, since this question was unfortunately not asked directly. (You probably want to read the article yourself, since the question is asked indirectly in several ways, which makes it look like people oppose nuclear weapons. This is largely illusionary in my opinion, though.)

The former article goes into more detail, and I think it shows why polls on this subject are particularly difficult, and the answer depends largely on how you state the question:
www.worldpublicopinion.org said:
Both polls also show that the Iranian public's support for the development of nuclear weapons is considerably less than that for nuclear energy, but how much less depends considerably on how the question was posed. TFT asked about Iran's government developing nuclear weapons immediately after its question on nuclear energy and found a slim majority in favor (51% vs. 39% opposed). WPO asked several questions about Iran foregoing nuclear weapons in the context of different international proposals that did not limit Iran's nuclear energy program. Each of these questions found a clear majority willing to accept the proposal. For example, 58 percent favor (vs. 26% oppose) the following offer:

"Suppose the U.N. Security Council were to say that it would accept Iran having a full fuel cycle nuclear program limited to the enrichment levels necessary for nuclear energy, if Iran agrees to allow the IAEA permanent and full access throughout Iran to ensure that its nuclear program is limited to energy production."

TFT found large majorities of Iranians saying they would be willing to forego developing nuclear weapons in return for "trade and capital investment to create jobs" (70% support vs. 22% oppose) and "technological assistance for developing peaceful nuclear energy" (71% vs. 20%).

Well, good news as far as I am concerned. 20% in favor of military weapons is still very relevant for domestic policy, 59% in favor vs. only 39% opposed* also, and I am assuming that support for a nuclear weapons program is considerably higher if an Iranian asks the questions, but overall it is obviously not as big an issue for the people as I believed. Understandably, economic issues take precedence, and this should be highly important for any diplomatic solution.

*) slyly taking the question that supports my earlier position most

Last edited:
On a completely unrelated note, I came across this cool site: [ http://sendamessage.nl/ ]

"You pay, the Palestinians spray." Thirty euros will get you your message sprayed onto the West Bank separation wall, and three digital photos of it to prove it. There's also an option to sponsor the spraying of a really long letter onto it.

Word of warning: I haven't thoroughly background-checked the site, so it's possible (although IMO unlikely) that it's a scam to relieve well-meaning people of their hard-earned. (I very much doubt it's related to any of the established Palestinian political, let alone paramilitary, movements.)

Thanks for your criticism. My position on this is mostly from talking to Arab people a while back. I found this article on the net, but it is even older, from 2003: http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/20753/story.htm

Did this change in the meantime? Keep in mind that I am not disputing that Iranians are in favor of a civil nuclear programme, I am just saying that they are also in favor of the nuclear weapons programme, even if they will probably adopt their countries stance in part and not shout this out to any random journalist / western official who looks in their direction.
Most of my information comes from either US or foreign officials. I've seen stories done on Iranians not wanting nukes on the news, but that was a year or two ago and I don't remember the specifics.

Completely agree here. However, I was not talking about governments at all, but about the people on the street. If you have any polls / articles to back up either of our claims I would be very interested.

By the way, I agree that Iran and its people will be worried about Israel mostly, therefore the value of the nuclear bomb as a deterrent can not be diminished by much by the US alone. Still, among the population, I think a lot of people are looking towards the US; by its economic power, overarching media presence and influence in the rest of the world it might have a larger impact among the population than is more rationally perceived by the Iran government.
Well, the street has two issues going on. Arabs and persians traditionally don't get along, and the Sunni and Shia also have their own...issues. It really depends - who does the street hate more, America or Iran?

Very interesting recap, thanks again, Rith.

Not surprisingly given his background, the speaker talked a quite a bit about the "military option." There's at least one major problem with this thinking: America has no credible military options regarding Iran at this time, and Iran knows it. That means that "keeping it on the table" -- as in, talking about it -- will simply irritate rather than put real pressure on anyone.

To elaborate: the American public isn't in the mood for another ground war, and the military -- especially the Army and Marines -- are already fully committed, if not over-committed, between Iraq and Afghanistan. The American surface fleet is extremely vulnerable in tight waters like the Persian Gulf. That means that the only thing America could do is an air campaign -- and given that Iran's nuclear program is dispersed, hidden, and hardened, this would be at most a temporary setback to it. And, of course, Iran would make the USA pay a very high price for it on all fronts. It's also virtually certain that such an attack would cause the Iranians to drop their differences and rally around the flag; hoping for a spontaneous uprising and revolution is a pipe dream.

So, until these things change, the USA simply does not *have* a military option vis a vis Iran, which makes "keeping it on the table" rather pointless IMO.

Second, I believe the odds of being able to successfully deter Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon are low, and until the structural reasons that make them want it change, they're as good as nil. They want the bomb because Israel has the bomb, and they perceive (rightly, IMO) that of all the nuclear countries in the world, Israel has the itchiest trigger finger. From the Iranian POV, nuclear weapons are a deterrent against a first strike by Israel.

That means that if we want Iran to give up the bomb, we must somehow get them to believe that Israel will never use theirs against it, even if they have no retaliatory capacity of their own. I have no idea how we could do that, but it certainly can't be done without resolving the Israeli/Palestinian conflict -- and quite likely not even then.

A possible alternative is that Iran is given explicit security guarantees against an Israeli nuclear strike by a third country. For example, if Russia gave credible guarantees that it will retaliate with a nuclear strike against Israel should Israel make a nuclear strike against Iran, the picture might look rather different. However, I don't think this is realistic, and even if it was, the Iranian paranoia about foreign interference make it less than certain to succeed.

So, in my opinion:

(1) Yes, we should most definitely continue to use all diplomatic avenues to pressure, bribe, cajole, or trick Iran to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions. I think the odds of this succeeding are fairly slim, though.

(2) No, I don't think there's any point keeping the "military option" on the table, for the simple reason that there isn't one available right now.

(3) I believe our best remaining option is to make it as costly as possible for Iran to actually test a nuclear weapon -- which is something they cannot do in secret. This, I believe, is an achievable objective. (Of course, it's impossible to get to the final stage of having a deployable weapon without testing a proof-of-concept device first.)

First, we should integrate the Iranian economy with the global economy as deeply as possible, and engage with the Iranian government as broadly as feasible. Iran should receive immediate and tangible benefits from this engagement. The less they have to lose, the less leverage we have, so we must give them something to lose. This is why North Korea is such a PITA -- they don't WANT to engage with anyone, which means they can do whatever the hell they want, and there's not a whole lot we can do to pressure them to do otherwise. The huge difference is that Iran WANTS to engage with the world. This is something we have totally failed to exploit, and should.

Second, we make it absolutely clear that if they ever test a nuclear weapon, all these benefits will be immediately taken away, and the country will be put under sanctions every bit as tight as North Korea's.

Third, we should work as hard as possible to defuse the tensions motivating Iran to pursue a nuclear weapons program, and to build confidence with it, in the hopes of getting it to deprioritise it, and then allow better and more stringent inspections. If we're successful, by the time Iran does have nuclear capability, it won't be much more dangerous than France's.

And fourth, we should prepare for the eventuality where, despite our best efforts, Iran does get a nuclear weapon. That won't be the end of the world. When it comes to nukes, two are better than one: the only use of atomic bombs in anger happened when one country had the global monopoly on them. Israel has had nuclear weapons for a quite a while now, it's in a very bad neighborhood, and it hasn't used them. Nuclear parity between Israel and Iran would have a deterrent effect, and therefore Iranian nukes might not spell the end of the world after all.

To be fair, he even admits the military option would be "really bad". I think he used the word "catastrophic" but that could be me misremembering. But he ALSO said, and I agree with, if we take the military option off of the table, it'll be viewed as a sign of weakness and then we shouldn't even waste our times with a negotiation. I (and he, and the US government) view the aftermath of a military strike as a better situation than a nuclear armed Iran. If Iran goes nuclear, then non-proliferation is dead, pure and simple. Iran becomes the hegemon of the region, balance of power shifts dramatically against us, Egypt and Saudi Arabia start their programs if they haven't already, etc. Even a massive air bombing campaign that sparks retaliation from Iran is better then that.

Well, the street has two issues going on. Arabs and persians traditionally don't get along, and the Sunni and Shia also have their own...issues. It really depends - who does the street hate more, America or Iran?

I think the crucial difference is that Arab/Persian animosity goes back centuries, whereas Arab/American animosity only goes back about 60-80 years or so. The only thing the Iranians have done to reduce that animosity is to stand by the Palestinians, and that's nowhere near enough.

I believe that if they made a serious effort, the Americans would find it easier to turn the Iranians around than the Arabs would -- but, of course, that would mean a real risk of alienating the Arabs even more. If they felt that the Iranians, Israelis, *and* Americans are all ganging up on them, that wouldn't be good either.

The current big (Sunni) Arab bogeyman is an "Axis of Shi'ites" taking over the region. This would consist of Iran, Iraq, and Lebanon, with Syria playing a supporting role. They could make life very difficult for the Gulf countries, Jordan, and Egypt. I don't know how realistic this fear is, but the fear itself is real.

It's a very delicate situation, and patience and finesse is required.

To be fair, he even admits the military option would be "really bad". I think he used the word "catastrophic" but that could be me misremembering. But he ALSO said, and I agree with, if we take the military option off of the table, it'll be viewed as a sign of weakness and then we shouldn't even waste our times with a negotiation. I (and he, and the US government) view the aftermath of a military strike as a better situation than a nuclear armed Iran.

I would too -- if it wasn't a false choice. I don't believe the US can prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon by military means; at best, they can retard it. In other words, you'd have an incredibly pissed off Iran that would *still* get the nuclear bomb. That would be the worst of all possible options.

If Iran goes nuclear, then non-proliferation is dead, pure and simple. Iran becomes the hegemon of the region, balance of power shifts dramatically against us, Egypt and Saudi Arabia start their programs if they haven't already, etc. Even a massive air bombing campaign that sparks retaliation from Iran is better then that.

I don't think so. It takes a lot more than nukes to become a hegemon -- North Korea is nuclear, after all, and it's nowhere near hegemony on even the Korean Peninsula. Nor is Israel the hegemon in the Middle East, despite having complete military supremacy and nuclear monopoly.

My point is, really, that the problem isn't a nuclear-armed Iran per se, but a nuclear-armed and violently hostile Iran. I think the odds of preventing the former are slim, especially if we rely on coercion for it. Conversely, the advantage of persuasion and incentives are that (1) it can at least retard Iranian progress toward a nuclear weapon, and it will simultaneously (2) lessen tensions that would lead to a nuclear and violently hostile Iran.

Re non-proliferation, IMO it's already dead, killed by Abdul Qadeer Khan. I don't see how you can get that particular genie back in the bottle.

And finally, re the balance of power -- I can't see any scenario in which the balance of power *won't* shift to your disadvantage in the Middle East. The USA simply isn't the power it was back in Gulf War 1, neither in absolute nor certainly in relative terms. The US is in a state of relative (and quiet possibly absolute) decline; the quadrillion-dollar question is how you manage that decline. Attempting to fight it, or pretending it isn't happening, is a losing proposition.

If you're looking at historical parallels, it's worth comparing how Britain and France handled the decline of their empires -- IMO the Brits were much smarter about it, and emerged much stronger.

Back
Top Bottom