Middle East News 3

I would too -- if it wasn't a false choice. I don't believe the US can prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon by military means; at best, they can retard it. In other words, you'd have an incredibly pissed off Iran that would *still* get the nuclear bomb. That would be the worst of all possible options.
I don't view it as a false choice - I don't think we can physically stop Iran from developing a nuke but we could delay it and/or punish them so hard they stop. Besides, I don't see a pissed off Iran w/ a nuke as more dangerous than Iran now with a nuke. It's not like they're going to use it against us or Israel.

I don't think so. It takes a lot more than nukes to become a hegemon -- North Korea is nuclear, after all, and it's nowhere near hegemony on even the Korean Peninsula. Nor is Israel the hegemon in the Middle East, despite having complete military supremacy and nuclear monopoly.
They also have China right next door and South Korea and Japan bottling it in as well. And they have no economy. If Iran developed a nuke and then they faced a COMPLETE and total embargo (with participation and enforcement from the Arab states, Russia, and China), then I would possibly concede this point.

Israel also has a much smaller population than Iran. Iran has like 100 million people, controls/funds most of the terrorist groups in the area, has some level of control over Syria and Lebanon, etc.

My point is, really, that the problem isn't a nuclear-armed Iran per se, but a nuclear-armed and violently hostile Iran. I think the odds of preventing the former are slim, especially if we rely on coercion for it. Conversely, the advantage of persuasion and incentives are that (1) it can at least retard Iranian progress toward a nuclear weapon, and it will simultaneously (2) lessen tensions that would lead to a nuclear and violently hostile Iran.

Re non-proliferation, IMO it's already dead, killed by Abdul Qadeer Khan. I don't see how you can get that particular genie back in the bottle.

And finally, re the balance of power -- I can't see any scenario in which the balance of power *won't* shift to your disadvantage in the Middle East. The USA simply isn't the power it was back in Gulf War 1, neither in absolute nor certainly in relative terms. The US is in a state of relative (and quiet possibly absolute) decline; the quadrillion-dollar question is how you manage that decline. Attempting to fight it, or pretending it isn't happening, is a losing proposition.

If you're looking at historical parallels, it's worth comparing how Britain and France handled the decline of their empires -- IMO the Brits were much smarter about it, and emerged much stronger.

I think the military option should be the last last last resort. As in, negotiations failed, sanctions failed, etc. Not "last resort" in the Iraq sense, but an actual last resort. Once again, I see sitting back and allowing Iran to get a nuke as far worse than anything that would come from us/NATO/others attacking them.

On a completely unrelated note, I came across this cool site: [ http://sendamessage.nl/ ]

"You pay, the Palestinians spray." Thirty euros will get you your message sprayed onto the West Bank separation wall, and three digital photos of it to prove it. There's also an option to sponsor the spraying of a really long letter onto it.

Word of warning: I haven't thoroughly background-checked the site, so it's possible (although IMO unlikely) that it's a scam to relieve well-meaning people of their hard-earned. (I very much doubt it's related to any of the established Palestinian political, let alone paramilitary, movements.)

From their FAQ:
Kan ik alles schrijven wat ik wil?

U kunt bijna alles schrijven wat u wilt. Maar kwetsen en beledigen (van Israeli's of Palestijnen, of wie dan ook), is niet toegestaan. Ook checken wij verwijzingen naar (aanstootgevende) websites. Dat soort mededelingen komt niet op de Muur. En: géén geld terug!

Translation (mine):
Can I write anything I want?

You can write almost anything you would like to. But hurting or insulting (neither Israelis nor Palestinians or anyone else) is not allowed. We also check if websites are offensive. All of these do not get written on the wall AND we won't send you your money back!

Waar gaat het geld naar toe?

Een deel van uw geld blijft in Nederland, om de (minimale) operationele kosten te dekken. Het overgrote deel gaat naar de Palestijnse NGO's (onafhankelijke stichtingen) die het werk daar doen. Zij financieren met de opbrengst kleine sociale, culturele en educatieve projecten (van een sportveldje tot een wasserette voor studenten)

Translation:
Where does the money go to?

Part of it stays in the Netherlands to cover minimal operational costs. The majority of the money goes to Palestinian NGO's who do work there. They finance anything from small social, cultural and educative projects (a small playing court to a laundry-mat for students).

Gaan ze wapens kopen?

Nee. Wij werken met organisaties die in Palestina legaal zijn en daar mogen werken - ook van de Israelische autoriteiten. Onze lokale partners vonden wij via het netwerk van ICCO, een grote Christelijke NGO uit Nederland. De opbrengst van dit project wordt in Palestina besteed aan kleinschalige sociale, culturele en educatieve projecten. Voor up to date informatie: Projecten in Palestina.

Would they buy weapons?

No, we work with organizations in Palestine, which are there legally and are allowed to work there - even from the Israeli authorities. We found our local partners via the ICCO network, which is a large Christian NGO from the Netherlands. De profit is spent on small-scale cultural, social and educative projects. For up-to date information visit the link...

I hope they don't have an English FAQ otherwise I'm really wasting my time here.
Well, I'll do the rest if someone tells me there isn't one and are interested in everything.

I think the military option should be the last last last resort. As in, negotiations failed, sanctions failed, etc. Not "last resort" in the Iraq sense, but an actual last resort. Once again, I see sitting back and allowing Iran to get a nuke as far worse than anything that would come from us/NATO/others attacking them.

Right, I think the only area where we disagree is how realistic the military option is. You believe that the most likely outcome of a military strike would be a hugely pissed-off Iran that would nonetheless be sufficiently intimidated that it would be unwilling or unable to pursue its nuclear weapons program; I believe that the most likely outcome would be a hugely pissed-off Iran that would still be capable and much more determined to get one.

N.b.: I'm by no means saying that the former outcome is impossible -- I just believe it's unlikely enough that risking the latter outcome is too dangerous, regardless of the situation.

Put another way, I believe the only military means likely to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon would be a full-scale land invasion followed by an occupation, and I'm sure we agree that nobody right now has the will nor the ability to do that.

I hope they don't have an English FAQ otherwise I'm really wasting my time here.
Well, I'll do the rest if someone tells me there isn't one and are interested in everything.

They do have an English FAQ: [ http://www.sendamessage.nl/your-message-on-the-wall/about/ ], click on FAQ. I read it; I just didn't fact-check it from an independent source -- after all, anyone can put up a website and write anything they like on it.

Right, I think the only area where we disagree is how realistic the military option is. You believe that the most likely outcome of a military strike would be a hugely pissed-off Iran that would nonetheless be sufficiently intimidated that it would be unwilling or unable to pursue its nuclear weapons program; I believe that the most likely outcome would be a hugely pissed-off Iran that would still be capable and much more determined to get one.

N.b.: I'm by no means saying that the former outcome is impossible -- I just believe it's unlikely enough that risking the latter outcome is too dangerous, regardless of the situation.

Put another way, I believe the only military means likely to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon would be a full-scale land invasion followed by an occupation, and I'm sure we agree that nobody right now has the will nor the ability to do that.

Yeah. Like... I think a military option would be really really really really bad to have to use - I just think the outcome of NOT using it (if that was honestly and truly the last card we would have to play) would be worse than using it. I don't think we would go in, blow up the heavy water reactor at Arak, and then the democracy fairy would appear and turn Iran into the United States Junior or anything.:p It really would be the "ultimate last option" in my mind (and Obama's as well I am assuming).

I think I'd be willing to forego it if we really could issue worldwide sanctions against the Iranians. At that point I think that scenario could work and even if they did develop nukes, we could get them willingly disarm like South Africa did.

I think I'd be willing to forego it if we really could issue worldwide sanctions against the Iranians. At that point I think that scenario could work and even if they did develop nukes, we could get them willingly disarm like South Africa did.

I can see only one scenario where that could happen: Israel (plus any other countries in the region that may have acquired nukes) would willingly disarm at the same time. If the region ever is in a state where such an option is even up for serious discussion, the world will already be a much, much safer and better place.

Nuclear deterrence is all about perception, obviously. From that point of view, would it do any harm to Israel if they disarm their nuclear weapons arsenal, but stay under the (nuclear deterrence) protection of the US?

Nuclear deterrence is pointless against nuclear terrorism without visible attacker, which might be the most likely scenario. There is little point in having the atomic bomb for Israel here.

As reaction to a nuclear missile attack and considering US nuclear submarines, reaction times would stay approximately equal regardless of who fires the retributive missiles. On the other hand, a swift reaction by US policy makers is less likely than a swift reaction of the Israel military. Also, any state using nuclear weapons will incur the risk of massive retaliation. From this angle, the US might prefer if Israel will be the one seen as an attacker.

Is there any fear in the Arab / Persian world that Israel will use nuclear weapons against a combined attack with conventional forces? In this case, having them would also be beneficial for the state of Israel, with the counterpoint of providing everyone else with an incentive of building nuclear weapons themselves. This is offset by an already effective conventional military in Israel. Is there any need for nuclear deterrence against conventional attacks?

What else am I missing?

Is there any fear in the Arab / Persian world that Israel will use nuclear weapons against a combined attack with conventional forces? In this case, having them would also be beneficial for the state of Israel, with the counterpoint of providing everyone else with an incentive of building nuclear weapons themselves. This is offset by an already effective conventional military in Israel. Is there any need for nuclear deterrence against conventional attacks?

It's not a fear, it's a certainty. Israel *would* retaliate with a nuclear attack should it face the prospect of losing in a full-scale conventional war. I don't think anybody has the least bit of doubt about that, in or out of the Arab world. I also believe that there's no way Israel will give up its nuclear arsenal unless and until it has stable peace deals and normal relations with all other countries in the region.

IOW, we return once more to the Israeli-Palestinian issue, the festering sore at the side of all efforts to bring peace to the region.

To counter dte's scenario, I'd offer this one:

The scene: The UN General Assembly, televised to the world:

Rainbows Unicorns (spokesman for the Free World): Yo, bearded dudes with turbans! Here, we want to conclude a free trade agreement, visa waiver agreement, and cultural exchange program with you right now. Hell, we'll even throw in a Starbucks in every hamlet. We really like your pistachios or whatever it is you grow there, you know. No strings attached. Nothing. Nuh-uh. What d'you say?

Them: Wow, dudes! That's really big of you. Sure, we're in!

The scene: Smoky back room in some embassy somewhere, six months later, after the public celebrations in Teheran of the broad range of agreements proposed above.

Dagger Velvet: Mr. Mullah, there is something that's so obvious Mr. Unicorns completely forgot to mention it in his inspiring speech yesterday. While we have no doubts at all about your sincerity regarding your intentions in your pursuit of nuclear technology, if to our chagrin it turns out that you are, in fact, developing nuclear weapons -- a nuclear test picked up by our instruments, say -- you do understand that as painful as it would be to us, we would be forced to immediately terminate all the agreements so graciously offered by Mr. Unicorns yesterday. In fact, it is likely that you will have hurt Mr. Unicorns' feelings so deeply that he would, despite the pain this would cause him, be forced to impose a complete economic blockade upon Iran on the North Korean model. I am quite confident this situation would never arise, am I not right?
Not sure if this was the attempt I requested to explain the logic or not. If so, I must say I'm not convinced. You mention in another post that the nuclear facilities are "hidden and hardened", so I'm not sure how we're going to detect anything short of a test, at which time it's too late anyway. Let's not even go into confirming less visible things which I'd assume we'd want to control, such as biologicals, human rights violations, or terrorist funding. Without a smoking gun (non-smoking guns don't qualify in Euro circles, mind you), you'll never be able to motivate the entire world to do your DPRK-esque embargo (see events leading up to Iraq). You've got no hammer for Dagger Velvet to swing. Which means you gave away the farm, lost a couple years, and ended up in worse shape than when you started.

Honestly, I want someone to explain this to me. It doesn't have to be PJ, either, although he's certainly eligible. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but there's a lot of folks subscribing to logic that appears to me to be obviously and fatally flawed. Seriously, I need some help on this one, folks.

The part that doesn't fit into your analysis is the rest of the world's view of the US and what's fair in regard to it. It's one of those, "that's not fair, which is fair when you really think about it" kind of things.

I don't relate much to Americans who are anxious to start bombing Iran, but they're right about one thing. Americans are in the best position to judge what's right for America. Too bad too. It would be nice if everyone could just sit down and discuss their differences.

We might be stupid, ignorant, selfish big fat bullies, but we still have the best perspective on our own interests, despite all that. IMO, the only thing standing in the way of this country kicking even more middle eastern ass is its sense of decency (and thank goodness for that).

Anyone know a good translation for the German word "Selbstüberschätzung"?

I found sophomoric and hubris, but neither seems to fit right...

That really could be it, I suppose. It must be nice to be you, coyote.

The part that doesn't fit into your analysis is the rest of the world's view of the US and what's fair in regard to it. It's one of those, "that's not fair, which is fair when you really think about it" kind of things.

I don't relate much to Americans who are anxious to start bombing Iran, but they're right about one thing. Americans are in the best position to judge what's right for America. Too bad too. It would be nice if everyone could just sit down and discuss their differences.

We might be stupid, ignorant, selfish big fat bullies, but we still have the best perspective on our own interests, despite all that. IMO, the only thing standing in the way of this country kicking even more middle eastern ass is its sense of decency (and thank goodness for that).

Well, and the fact that it can't afford another ground offensive of Iran or any other country for that matter. Of course, some people seem to forget about that.

Nuclear deterrence is all about perception, obviously. From that point of view, would it do any harm to Israel if they disarm their nuclear weapons arsenal, but stay under the (nuclear deterrence) protection of the US?

Nuclear deterrence is pointless against nuclear terrorism without visible attacker, which might be the most likely scenario. There is little point in having the atomic bomb for Israel here.

As reaction to a nuclear missile attack and considering US nuclear submarines, reaction times would stay approximately equal regardless of who fires the retributive missiles. On the other hand, a swift reaction by US policy makers is less likely than a swift reaction of the Israel military. Also, any state using nuclear weapons will incur the risk of massive retaliation. From this angle, the US might prefer if Israel will be the one seen as an attacker.

What else am I missing?

Well, Israel may not trust us to launch a nuclear war over them - which is a decently fair assumption, I guess. You COULD prove who gave a terrorist group a bomb, by the way - there's that whole "nuclear forensics" thing that goes way over my head but you can supposedly test the 'aftermath' and prove where it came from/who built it?

Not sure if this was the attempt I requested to explain the logic or not. If so, I must say I'm not convinced. You mention in another post that the nuclear facilities are "hidden and hardened", so I'm not sure how we're going to detect anything short of a test, at which time it's too late anyway. Let's not even go into confirming less visible things which I'd assume we'd want to control, such as biologicals, human rights violations, or terrorist funding. Without a smoking gun (non-smoking guns don't qualify in Euro circles, mind you), you'll never be able to motivate the entire world to do your DPRK-esque embargo (see events leading up to Iraq). You've got no hammer for Dagger Velvet to swing. Which means you gave away the farm, lost a couple years, and ended up in worse shape than when you started.

Honestly, I want someone to explain this to me. It doesn't have to be PJ, either, although he's certainly eligible. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but there's a lot of folks subscribing to logic that appears to me to be obviously and fatally flawed. Seriously, I need some help on this one, folks.

Well, we actually have the EU on our side about Iran. They're all lined up with us in terms of negotiations or sanctions at this point. The argument is if we DON'T try to negotiate, we may lose their support, and we DEFINITELY will not have support from China and Russia (and may indeed face opposition from them). We didn't honestly try negotiations with Iraq and that was already a battle no one wanted any part of. Iran is a different matter and pretty much everyone but Russia/China are with us when it comes to this. Besides, if it comes to military operations, it's not like we'd be able to handle Iran by ourselves. We'd need NATO support. If we negotiate (or attempt to), and work out deals with the Russians and Chinese, we may be able to put the DPRK sanctions in place if they don't play ball.

On the other hand, if we just bomb the shit out of Iran now, we've started our third war in the region, opened up the US/its allies to massive retaliation from terrorist groups, further inflamed the Muslim world, killed off any support we may have had from our Allies, and we pretty much would have to give up on any effort to stabilize Iraq. Do you see Iran NOT considering a bombing run an act of war? I honestly don't know if we could take them - their military outnumbers us, their state is relatively stable, and they have a functioning government and economy. It's not like Iraq which was falling apart and held together by one man's persona.

Not sure if this was the attempt I requested to explain the logic or not. If so, I must say I'm not convinced. You mention in another post that the nuclear facilities are "hidden and hardened", so I'm not sure how we're going to detect anything short of a test, at which time it's too late anyway.

Yes, that's exactly my point: there's nothing we can do to prevent them from getting to the point that they have a testable device. Thing is, a testable device is not yet quite a weapon, and you can't make it into one without testing it. Therefore, the idea behind my strategy is to (a) engage with them without preconditions at all levels, and (b) make it clear that all that will stop if we find indisputable evidence that they are pursuing a weapon -- e.g. a nuclear test.

IOW, we would make doing that test as costly for them as we possibly can, and *not* doing that test as beneficial as we possibly can.

Let's not even go into confirming less visible things which I'd assume we'd want to control, such as biologicals, human rights violations, or terrorist funding. Without a smoking gun (non-smoking guns don't qualify in Euro circles, mind you), you'll never be able to motivate the entire world to do your DPRK-esque embargo (see events leading up to Iraq). You've got no hammer for Dagger Velvet to swing. Which means you gave away the farm, lost a couple years, and ended up in worse shape than when you started.

Again, you're pretty much restating my argument right back at me. Hard, concerted action -- North Korean style sanctions, Rith's military strike, whatever -- is only feasible if there is a smoking gun. That's why saber-rattling beforehand is doubly pointless.

Well, I tried, but apparently I failed. You seem to have entirely missed the whole idea behind my strategic reasoning, though, so here it is again, slightly simplified:

(1) Premise: There's nothing we can do to force Iran to abandon their nuclear weapons program if they really want to do so.

(2) Premise: Hard, concerted, international action -- DPRK style sanctions or a military strike -- is only possible if there's a smoking gun, such as an actual nuclear test.

(3) Premise: Iran wants to engage with the world, politically, economically, and culturally.

(4) Strategic goal: Prevent Iran from crossing the nuclear test threshold.

(5) Policy: Give Iran maximal incentives not to do the test, and maximal disincentives to do it.

(6) Proposed action: Engage with Iran politically, economically, and culturally, in ways that give them immediate, tangible benefits for the engagement. We don't even have to tell them this will be replaced with DPRK-style sanctions and a possible military strike if they do test a nuclear device.

(7) Proposed action: Simultaneously, work to defuse tensions in the entire region, to reduce their need for a nuclear deterrent.

(8) Proposed action: Add further carrots to entice them to agree to a more stringent inspection regime, which would further retard their progress towards a nuclear weapon.

(9) Proposed action: Attempt to get Israel to scale down or, if possible, entirely dismantle its nuclear deterrent, e.g. by explicit guarantees by a third party (e.g. the USA).

I believe this strategy is likely to prevent Iran from crossing the nuclear test threshold unless tensions in the region escalate much further than they are even now. People do respond to incentives, you know -- and the more they have to lose, the more leverage we have over them.

Oh, and, I believe the other things you listed -- human rights, sponsorship of terrorism and what not -- must take a back seat to the nuclear issue. In any case, at least the ones bothering us (e.g. sponsorship of terrorism) will resolve themselves should tensions in the region be brought down.

I honestly don't know if we could take them - their military outnumbers us, their state is relatively stable, and they have a functioning government and economy. It's not like Iraq which was falling apart and held together by one man's persona.

Not to mention that it's a mountainous country, which gives defenders a massive advantage, and puts a motorized army relying on air strikes followed by armored pushes at a big disadvantage.

I'm fairly sure that if it was a war game, you would eventually defeat the Iranian regular military (although in a real war it could get too costly politically), but then you'd get stuck trying to suppress a really, really, REALLY nasty insurgency with far too few boots on the ground and a population that hates your guts. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard rewrote the book on asymmetrical warfare; they trained the Hezbollah and have been trying out all their fancy new tactics in Lebanon and the OT. I don't believe you could beat that insurgency even with NATO support -- you just don't have the numbers.

Anyone know a good translation for the German word "Selbstüberschätzung"?

I found sophomoric and hubris, but neither seems to fit right...

There isn't a single word I can think of, but we were just talking about in the education thread -- it's what happens to kids if you continuously tell them that they're the best in the world even if all they do is sit on their asses and watch TV. "Inflated self-esteem" would be one way to express it.

Not to mention that it's a mountainous country, which gives defenders a massive advantage, and puts a motorized army relying on air strikes followed by armored pushes at a big disadvantage.

I'm fairly sure that if it was a war game, you would eventually defeat the Iranian regular military (although in a real war it could get too costly politically), but then you'd get stuck trying to suppress a really, really, REALLY nasty insurgency with far too few boots on the ground and a population that hates your guts. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard rewrote the book on asymmetrical warfare; they trained the Hezbollah and have been trying out all their fancy new tactics in Lebanon and the OT. I don't believe you could beat that insurgency even with NATO support -- you just don't have the numbers.

Precisely right. They ALREADY have a crapload of irregular forces whose sole job it is to carry out insurgent warfare - so I'm sure even the "twenty-to-one thousand" ratio for fighting off insurgencies would be even worse in Iran - which means you'd need at least 1.4 million boots on the ground at any one time to to wage a successful anti-insurgency campaign. I'm sure that number would balloon when you consider the 100K+ IRGC forces plus the other guys they've trained for this sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom