Might & Magic VI - The Mandate of Heaven

I remember my first MM game was on sega genesis, believe it was MM2. That game was pretty tough. I then played MM3 on PC and instantly fell in love...been playing them since. I must say VI and VII were my favorite. I still play them to this day.

The fly scroll in New Sorpigal is so you can get to DragonSand and click on the obelisk in the buildling and gain +10 or +20, cant remember, to your stats. While in Dragonsand walk around the obelisk building and keep clicking on the hilt of the sword to get into the building (look at your map)...hidden entrance. Once you've cleared the building, lots of goodies inside, click on the otherside of the building to return to New Sorpigal.

I loved the hidden stuff in this game and the ability to go almost anywhere right from the start. Tomb of Varn was one huge dungeon...spent a lot of time in it.

And yeah, I love dungeons. There's nothing like a good, challenging, well designed dungeon. The best I've seen so far are in Might & Magic III.

yeah same here, thats one of the reasons why i like VI better than VII, the dungeons were somewhat bland in VII, while absolutely excellent in VI.

I'm replaying VII right now and will probably play VI and then VIII or maybe VIII and then VI. A mistake that I seem to make with Might and Magic VII is that I become too powerful, too quickly. One thing I'd suggest if you want a challenging game is to skip the learning skill. It adds too much experience and you'll waltz through the game. There are 3 NPCs that add experience to your characters. If you grab the lowest one, a scholar, he'll give you a 5% bonus to xp and identify all your items for you. Anybody higher than him, and you'll get too powerful for the built in difficulty level.

That said, my favorite thing to do in MM7 is to switch out the NPCs frequently. I generally run out and have to wait for map respawns :) MM7 does have a few dungeons that are awesome, but MM6 did seem to have more good ones. MM7 has a much better storyline though, so it evens out. If you haven't played MM9, it can be fun with the unofficial patches. I've completed it but there are a few whammies with promotion quests, so save often.

If you haven't played MM9, it can be fun with the unofficial patches. I've completed it but there are a few whammies with promotion quests, so save often.

It's funny you mention that... I've never played MM9 for more than about an hour. I've read that with the TELP patch it's not too bad... definitely not the best in the series, but fun nonetheless. I've put off playing it for years, and nows the time.

After I finish Geneforge 1, I'm going to start MM9. I actually already created my party and did the little tutorial town. But I'm going to wait until I finish GF before I really try to get into it.

Then, some time this year I'm going to go back and play MM6... I really love that game (along with MM3).

uhm, actually, it is "Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven", Might and Magic VII is «For Blood and Honor».

Might and Magic VI got a special spot for me. When I was 16, I worked for the first time of my life at one of my uncle's farm and used my wage for an entire week to purchase this game!

That game got some great dungeons, good gameplay... if it was not for the repetiveness of the combats and somewhat generic enemies, it could have been one of the best rpg ever.

Then, some time this year I'm going to go back and play MM6... I really love that game (along with MM3).

You love both MM3 and MM6 ? That's great to hear, as a huge M&M3 fan.
I'm pretty sure I'm in for an excellent M&M journey with 6.

MM3 is probably my favorite of the series. It just seems to have the best dungeon designs and I enjoy the riddles and puzzles that are spread throughout. I love the Arachnoid Caverns, the Fortress of Fear, and the cool midi song that plays when you visit the pyramids. I'm also a big fan of Obsidian weapons and armor!

MM3 is probably my favorite of the series. It just seems to have the best dungeon designs and I enjoy the riddles and puzzles that are spread throughout. I love the Arachnoid Caverns, the Fortress of Fear, and the cool midi song that plays when you visit the pyramids. I'm also a big fan of Obsidian weapons and armor!

Ahhh... your talk makes me want to fire up M&M3 again. It was just so... everything felt just right. Truly, an excellent game.

All right! I've got M&M6 and the official and unofficial pathches installed.
I'm on my way... (still had to play some DF tonight, tho :D )

Possibly the longest game I've played, with some of the most incredible dungeons ever created. It is quite a bit harder than MM7 or 8 though, especially near end, so building a solid party is more essential.

Also, I can't think of any game that has more memorable locations. From New Sorpigal, Castle Ironfist and Free Haven to the vast, dangerous desert.

Oh man, now I suddenly wanted to replay MM6 again!

Maylander wrote:
Oh man, now I suddenly wanted to replay MM6 again!

I know-- about a month ago I had been replaying it, had gotten through a lot of the early game, then when I was clearing out the Dragoon's Caverns I got a weird bug with the Harp quest--I exited with one of the phony musical instruments in my inventory, and got instant CTD when I tried to switch from inventory to inventory between characters.
Reloaded all kinds of saves, but apparently it corrupted everything from the beginning of the dungeon--I need to go back and reload from way earlier, I guess, but it means losing about 15-20 hours of play...since I overwrite saves--think that could be why the whole dungeon is corrupted?

Maylander wrote:

I know-- about a month ago I had been replaying it, had gotten through a lot of the early game, then when I was clearing out the Dragoon's Caverns I got a weird bug with the Harp quest--I exited with one of the phony musical instruments in my inventory, and got instant CTD when I tried to switch from inventory to inventory between characters.
Reloaded all kinds of saves, but apparently it corrupted everything from the beginning of the dungeon--I need to go back and reload from way earlier, I guess, but it means losing about 15-20 hours of play...since I overwrite saves--think that could be why the whole dungeon is corrupted?

Perhaps the unofficial patch(es) will help with those crashes?

Probably not. I haven't heard of that being a common bug (although I suppose that's no guarantee). More likely, magerette has a local issue, which a patch won't help.

Probably--I have all the patches.AFAIK. :) It's a corrupted save thing I think. Of course, this does give me the opportunity to restart and roll new characters, one of the funner things.
Since we're off into this discussion a bit I have a mechanics question--has anybody ever noticed how the camera position of the party affects hitting--that is, the middle two positions always seem to get a better hit ratio than the first and last? I've noticed over the years that shifting the camera view to one side, up down, etc, seems to help with connecting. . I've thought of testing it by having a pure caster in the first slot, but I usually forget and end up using a fighter there.
I wonder if this is my imagination sometimes though--anybody else ever noticed this?

Last edited:
You guys convinced me to drag it out once again; rolled my favourite party:-1 Sorc, 1 Cleric and 2 Druids. And it's off for slaughter and mayhem once again. All the other classes are totally useless IMHO in the later stages of the game!!

I went back to my older save earlier today too, Corwin :)--I have Knight, Cleric, Druid & Sorc going--I use the Knight primarily to carry all the non-magic skills like merchant, perception, disarm, identify, etc--since he has the most spare skill points--then the casters can concentrate on mastering all the magics, meditation and learning. I agree though, that magic trumps might, especially as the game progresses.

Bah, screw it.
Reading guides and wondering what's the optimal party to create
soon leads to something resembling power-gaming and THAT...
is pure absolute heresy that shall not be tolerated and should be made
punishable by rectal-torture (again, blame Jaz for introducing that word).

So, I'm gonna go with my... uh... instincts! Yeah! Instincts!

With MM6, everyone can learn everything given enough time, money, and training, so party build isn't as important as it is with MM7. Pick characters to give you the starting skills you want and go from there. Magic is more expensive to learn than weapon and miscellaneous skills, so if you've got an open skill slot, fill it with magic.

Back
Top Bottom