Might & Magic VI - The Mandate of Heaven

Okay, you are confusing me. The 1.3 patch is only for MMVI. The other patch is called
mm7_eng_xp.exe and is version 1.21, right?

This thread is about VI. We are all playing VI.
Nobody said anything about VII.
Other than previously there was a typo in the topic of this thread :D
- but I'm pretty sure everyone knows "Mandate of Heaven" is nmbr 6.

However, there's a mok's patch for MM7 too.
http://telp.org/mm7/tavern/anyboard/posts/27807.html

Currently, the Mok's patch is the ONLY patch necessary for MM6-8.
The officials patches or other XP fixes are not needed.
Everything is included in the Mok's patches.

Last edited:
I had one bug bothering me back when I played MM6. One of the promotion quests (thief?) has you enter a dungeon with doors that cant be opened with the final official patch. Having a fully patched budget re-release of the game I couldnt figure out how to de-patch at the time I played the game (and I never bothered, as I by then had gotten to the point where I usually stop playing MM games due to the latest colour of enemies having insane amount of HP, making my taste opposite to Magerette who cant finish Baldurs Gate 2:p).

Looks like Mok fixes that (I believe the Shadow guild was the broken dungeon), but I didnt know of it at the time.

BTW- Thanks, god, for fixing the topic.

I know it was you.

Last edited:
I'm always happy to oblige!! :)

Y'all are mean. If I hadn't started Dodd's Wiz8 mod, I'd be looking for my MM6 disks.

Y'all are mean. If I hadn't started Dodd's Wiz8 mod, I'd be looking for my MM6 disks.

Yeah, I've noticed that these forums pour out some kind of evil aura that can make you play games that you did not mean to play.
I've seen it many times!

After I finish Geneforge 1, I'm going to start MM9. I actually already created my party and did the little tutorial town. But I'm going to wait until I finish GF before I really try to get into it.

when you do, please report if it comes even near the older games in fun factor :p
i've ignored VIII and IX so far, since ive heard nothing but bad things about them. would have been nice to be proven wrong tho :)

I thought the VIII - Day of the destroyer was allright?
I've heard it being called "The Last good Might & Magic".

VIII isn't too bad, though a trifle on the easy side if you get yourself a Dragon!! :)

Dark Elf, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon. What a party! You can simply spam the autoattack and cruise through the entire game. Truth be told, five liches is probably even more unbalanced later in the game.

Anyhow, MM8 was rather good, and indeed - the last good MM game. MM9 is merely "okay", and a dissappointment once you've played the older, much better games (among the finest RPGs overall, imho).

Regarding the spiders. How many times did those disgusting little creatures make me jump out of my chair because of a sudden *hiss* from below the screen? No idea, but enough to make me go on a crazy killing spree every time I saw one (i.e: "DIIIIEEEEEE SPAWN OF DARKNESS!!!").

Yep, MM8 had balance issues. I hatedhatedhated recruiting a party rather than building my own. Other than that, it was a fun march. Nowhere near as long as MM6 and not as good as MM7, but still worth the time.

They were in a bit of a pickle with MM9. Release more of the same, and they get slammed for badly dated graphics and no innovation (those complaints had already been levelled at MM8 a few years earlier). Make changes to the winning formula (as they did) and you piss off a legion of fans. Of course, if you put out a bugfest and one of the first quests is totally broken, you're not going to get much love anyway. 3DO was busy dying, so they tossed MM9 out the door half-baked and did a lousy job supporting it after the fact. For fans of the series, it was a slap in the face.

Yeah, Day of Destroyer got pretty badly slammed for dated graphics and lack of innovation at the time. I think Mandate of Heaven had the best dungeons I've ever played through in this class of RPG, not to mention the sheer size and free-roaming game play. Shame it didn't have Arcomage :(

Day of the Destroyer needs a mod that allows for character creation of the whole party. If the same mod disallowed dragon characters, that'd be great too. As it is, I just keep the starting set of npcs and pretend I created them :)

Can I play MM8 without recruiting dragons or other funky creatures to my party?
Elves and other almost-humans would be fine.
Oh. And I'm not gonnna mod anything.

Is changing the party members somehow forced? Can I play with the same people throughout the whole thing?

Can I play MM8 without recruiting dragons or other funky creatures to my party?
Elves and other almost-humans would be fine.
Oh. And I'm not gonnna mod anything.

Is changing the party members somehow forced? Can I play with the same people throughout the whole thing?
The party race choices are based on "traditional evil" selections: minotaurs, trolls, dark elves, necromancers, vampires, and so forth. They still fall into the traditional archetypes (tank, caster, ranger, healer), so it's really just a different set of avatars (along with the introduction of a few race-specific spells).

You only build a single character, and then can grab from a selection of RPCs in the first town. You can complete the game with those RPCs if you wish (I usually did), but it's tough to walk away when your level 10 party comes across a new level 15 RPC that's willing to join.

Ok! Thanks, dte. That really made it clear.

Now.. back to MM6 - which is still far from over for me :D

Guys! Those of you playing MM6 too, please report something in this thread from your daily gaming sessions. Without too many spoilers obviosly. It'd be nice to talk about this game with people who are actually playing it now too.

Well, since you asked...:)
Last night I was up til almost 3 a.m playing (when you're old, sometimes you can't sleep--wait, I'm not old, I'm 18 with 41 levels of experience)--- and I encountered something I've never run across in the game before--it's somewhat spoilerish though so Zakhary I'll put the worst of it in tags.
I tend to play without walkthroughs except for when I get stuck, so somehow I never knew about this area--I was map-mowing around Silver Cove, laying a wake of smoking devastation all about me, blasting gargoyles and druids with double whammies of fire spells from my two casters and just generally feeling pretty all-powerful when suddenly
I took a few steps off the road to cross a field full of rocks--EGADS!!! I was insta-ported somewhere into a hollow depression crawling with Grand Druids, Greater Druids, and more Druids and died in about .5 seconds.
After a reload, I was able to locate this sinister nest of murdering, scantily clad pagan women and painstakingly destroyed each and every one of them, but it was definitely an adrenaline inducing experience. :)
Amazing that after 4 or 5 playthroughs I can still screw up! :p

Back
Top Bottom