My Google+ Community!

And for the record I apologized for calling you all toddlers and children in the Paid Mods thread. I got a little carried away, as everyone does from time to time.

And Ripper, "pledge pledge pledge buy buy buy"? I made ONE thread awhile back asking for donations. Granted, in every YouTube video I make I post a link to my Patreon page, but I'm not twisting anyone's arm to donate to me.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, Fluent, I'm just suggesting that you consider how you might be coming across, sometimes.

All I can tell you is that a while back, your suggestions to "Buy Buy Buy!" your laptop, and your reminders to consider pledging, seemed to crop up rather a lot. I remember thinking, "I don't want to be mean about this, but, firstly, it's getting a bit annoying, and secondly, if everyone did this the site would be intolerable." Someone eventually complained, and you said that it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease (or something along those lines.)

If you look at how you present this google community in your first couple of posts here, it does look like it's more about growing your audience as a famous Youtuber, which seems similarly self-promotional. And it's perhaps not the best way to launch it, when it seemed to stem from a walk-out in a big forum drama.

I'm not really bothered about it, but I'm just suggesting that you consider it from another perspective, for the sake of your relationship with people here, and maybe tone it down a bit. I don't want to argue about it - you are free to reject my advice.

Last edited:
Wow ... I am seriousyl surprised at the level of malevolent douche-baggery here! Wel, since it is related to a new technology, perhaps not.

Forums are to social media what USENET was to forums in the early 2000s. A niche used by mostly oder people who resist moving to new things for whatever reasons.

That Fluent has chosen to create a new group and invite people ... HOW the fuck has become such a maelstrom?!/ Seriously ... ugh

Ease up, Mike. I got some spittle in my eye. :biggrin:

Yeah ... I get it ... :)

But seriously, the history here of opposing anything new is almost as omnipresent as hating on Apple (and Apple users) ... and has been one of the defining characteristics of RPGWatch since the inception. While I got some decent feedback with my mobile gaming series way back, I got MORE stuff along the lines of 'get your effing kiddie sh%t the eff out of here'.

So ... um, yeah, I have a bit of an easy trigger with this stuff - though I call it 'demonstrated eperiene :)

(leaving typos in on purpose - in case anyone is thinking about buying the Zagg Pocket Keyboard ... don't bother. Yoou can get something SO much better ffor the same money that is just a bit bigger)

Well your you're preaching to the choir Mike.:biggrin:

Lets just say I agree as the site is very resistant to change. I still get flack two years after taking over for Dhruin. Still I usually ignore it, but it gets out of control sometimes.

Well your you're preaching to the choir Mike.:biggrin:

Lets just say I agree as the site is very resistant to change. I still get flack two years after taking over for Dhruin. Still I often ignore it, but it gets out of control sometimes.

Yes ... I would definitely say you have claims to being the victim of 'malevolent douche-baggery' more often than anyone here should be proud to admit!

In case someone misunderstood me - I don't actually mind the topic as such, but definetly think that social networks should go to another section. As I suggested, either offtopic or controversies (because I find social networks as controversy).

I mean, isn't this forum section supposed to cover games, just games, not something else, in this case a social network?
If there is a lose interpretation does that mean I can also talk about facebook cowclickers in RPG games section just because, dunno, the cowclicker game author loves RPGs?

Celtic, you call it "pushing myself onto people", I call it trying to build something wonderful. :)

I love RPGWatch and I would love a community in the modern world that uses social networking and talks about and loves RPGs all the same.

If you aren't interested in being a part of that, the simple thing to do is not respond and go about on your way. Instead you're trying to tear me down and make a big deal out of something that is supposed to be a beautiful, positive thing.

It's not just for my YouTube channel, but I would be posting a lot from my YT on the community and I would hope others who make videos would do the same. It would be a big melting pot of media. Music, videos, articles, photos, etc.

Not to say the 'Watch here doesn't already have that, but being on Google+ will attract a different genre of member if you will. A more modern person who surfs the 'net on their phones, yet perhaps they still love RPGs and want to be part of something like that.

That's all it is. Simple. If you don't like it, please move on and stop turning this into another shitstorm.

You don't owe me anything for reading my reviews or watching my videos. I simply say this in every video I post - "If you'd like to really help me out and help me grow, please take a moment to check out my Patreon page.". Simple. I don't twist anyone's arm. In some videos I ask in more words than that, but you shouldn't feel obligated to send me anything.

Heck, if I recall, you told me you wanted to support me monetarily with what I do on the 'Watch. It doesn't matter, though. I'm not twisting anyone's arm to donate to me, it is for people who value my work and feel what I do is worth something to them.

If you don't feel what I do is worth something then don't pledge to me. Or just enjoy my work for free, that's okay too.

The money I make from Patreon just goes directly to improving my work in some way.

But anyway, this came from a good place and it's not something ugly like you're making it out to be. So please stop and leave the thread if you don't like it.

Thank you. :)

@joxer, Do I really need to break it down to you? You aren't that daft and you aren't stupid, please stop trolling me. The community I created is directly related to RPGs because that's the whole point of the community! It doesn't hurt for one single post in a wide forum to talk about an RPG community. Had I posted something about the Codex, no one would have a problem. But because it's social media it's somehow evil and should be sent to another forum?

If a mod thinks this is in the wrong place then by all means move it. But I think I am within the guidelines of discussing RPG-related topics here.

No sweat, Fluent. Create your group, I hope it works out. If it does, hey, it could bring more members here, so definitely go for it. You're passionate about what you do and I respect that, even if we might not share the same view.
Bringing together RPG enthusiasts can only have positive effects, whether it's here or on some other social media.

Thank you SO MUCH for that comment, wiretripped! I love this part of it:

Bringing together RPG enthusiasts can only have positive effects, whether it's here or on some other social media.

So we can toast to that! :party:

I just learned that RPGWatch has a Twitter account already, so I'm hoping in the future it's better integrated into the site. I'm a social media newb (seriously, I haven't touched it until now!), but I'm hoping that it helps attract more people who don't even know sites like this one even exist. :)

Yeah. And I'm posting some awesome Realms of Arkania backgrounds - one of which I made myself. xD

Definitely join my community just to check these out! I'm going to make the first one she posted my desktop background. :)

Can't wait to see the rest of them, Aubri! :)

Haha, I really like the amount of enthusiasm Flunet has in anything he does.

I am not sure this sort of posts should go into general RPG section though, but that is another matter.

What can I say? Sometimes I get motivated and passionate about things. :biggrin:

And I only posted here because it's an RPG community. I guess it could have went in Off-Topic but I thought the RPG section was a good spot for it. :)

I'm all for Fluent's Google+ community but I agree all posting about it should be there and zero "advertising" here outside of this one thread. If he wants to link to it in his sig, that's cool. Those here who actually take interest in anything that Fluent does will click on the links.

I'll definitely link it in my sig, too, I just wanted to make one thread about it to promote it as well. It's just one thread, I don't see the big deal. :thinking:

By the way, we've already got 12 members and I'm pointing people towards RPGWatch with new videos. Everyone wins. :)

I'll definitely link it in my sig, too, I just wanted to make one thread about it to promote it as well. It's just one thread, I don't see the big deal. :thinking:

By the way, we've already got 12 members and I'm pointing people towards RPGWatch with new videos. Everyone wins. :)

Congrats on getting 12 members Fluent! That's got to be close to half of Google+ total user base!!!

Kidding aside, you've got some great RPG videos and anything that spreads the word about them is a good thing.

Plus new users on RPGWatch is always a plus too.

Thanks so much Neph for the positive comments! :party:

I'm planning on making an RPGWatch promo video once I get some more members on the Google+ community. I have made a video that mentions RPGWatch already but I think an entire video dedicated to promoting it to my community would probably bring a few members this way.

It's amazing, I've already met members in my community that are very interested in RPGs, and we're already discussing RPGs and sharing media and stuff. I can't believe I was sleeping on Google+ this whole time. I think it can be a really great resource.

I also saw that you added me on Steam so if you ever need anything just shoot me a message.

Back
Top Bottom