My rig has herpes

E6320 cpu (1.86Ghz Core2 Duo, 4MB L2 cache, 1066 FSB)
2GB dual channel DDR2 SDRAM, 667Mhz
fan cooled

Coulda gone to an E6600 and 4MB of RAM with an XPS410 system, but they won't/can't upgrade from a 375W psu in that system.

Take a look at the case dimensions here. 24" high and 24" deep! This mofo is huge. Doesn't-fit-in-my-desk huge. Not sure if I completely like that or not, but it should make for a nice eyesore in Mrs dte's living room.

So in the other system you could have got the faster cpu but not a psu larger than 375?! That seems kind of odd, and they weren't willing to work with you on it?

I would definitely have suggested getting the E6600 as that is an excellent cpu. Still, the E6320 will be a huge jump from that Athlon 1700+ you were using, and 2GB of RAM is plenty.

Did you manage to get Windows XP, or did they shove Vista down your throat?

For $1300 list (versus $1600 list on my shiny) I could have gone "a step up" on 5 different components and 2 steps on the cpu, but I could not get out of the 375W psu. According to the guy, if I went Vista and did a couple hardware gyrations, I could get a 500W psu in the XPS410 machine. We didn't discuss the price for that combination. No thanks to Vista and 500W isn't exactly great anyway, so up to the XPS710 I went. Unfortunately, paying for that better case/psu/mobo/chipset takes away from the other components.

Back on topic:

Recently I had a virus on my computer - it cannot be much worse:
A rootkit that changed my dns-settings.

Your browser requests a site and gets a response from a fake dns-server -> Arrrgh.

Furthermore the rookit intercepts the file-system, so that the files are hidden from "normal" anti-virus software.

I recognized the virus by 2 things:
a) wrong site returns when I searched with google
b) Spybot search&destroy had a slowdown

The Software Blacklight helped me to eliminate this virus.

The local HR guy put my signed payroll deduction form in his own mailbox. 4 days wasted, and mid-August gets ever closer. I hate it when my smartass comments start looking like truth. :rolleyes:

Mid-August? Ha! After finally finding my order and my checks, the estimated delivery date is 30AUG. :(

Alright dte! When you get your new rig you can finally play X3! I started a new job about 4 weeks ago and I haven't had a life since, so no playing anything lately for me. Your new computer specs sound identical to the system I bought a while back. I'm sure you'll love it.

I think I will, but waiting is going to suck rocks. The problem becomes what to play first. I want to complete my UFO:ET run, but Space Rangers 2 looks pretty exciting and I will finally have the hardware to run NWN2 (haven't purchased yet) and X3. Not to mention several interesting games coming pretty soon: Hellgate and Puzzle Quest come to mind quickly.

I am certainly looking forward to pulling my old HDD out, hooking it up to the new shiny, and eradicating the @#^%@^ out of that virus.

I dont think that I'd let that hd anywhre short of a country mile near my new rig.

That's just me tho, Ive learned not to tempt the mischievious spirits of irony and mishap

Yea I cringed when I read that one Dte. As nasty as this bug sounded I would be afraid it will worm into the new rig somehow.

There's data on there that I need, so I don't have a whole lot of choice. Can't say I'm terribly pleased with the risk, either.

And I think if you do indeed decide to get Space Rangers 2, you ought to get the Totalgaming.net download version because to slap StarForce (the retail version has it) on a shiny new computer is kinda like mud racing with a brand-new sports car :) .

I did a search on Starforce and didn't find the thread, so perhaps it was over at the Dot. Would someone care, with a minimum of flying spittle, to fill me in on the whole StarForce issue? I know it's an intrusive copy protection, but my fuzzy memory keeps hinting at more.

Thanks for the info. I really prefer having a cd in my hand, but Starforce might be scary enough to push me to digital download.

And so the sad saga finally comes to an end. After 3 different orders, we finally got there. Funny thing is that we were getting ready to trash the 3rd order and put in an identical 4th (don't ask). On a whim, I logged into the system and it showed the 3rd order shipped.

It was a real mess, but I'll give Dell credit for trying to make it right. I ended up with a much better system than originally spec'd for the same money and free overnight shipping.

Final system specs (for those few that actually care):
XPS720 system (huge case doesn't fit in my desk)
Q6600 CPU (quad core, 2.4Ghz)
2GB RAM at 800Mhz
X-Fi sound card (had no intentions of buying this, but I ended up with it)
GF 8600GTS (yeah, I'll eventually have to replace this, but I'm coming from a GF3...)

Huzzah! Back in the saddle I is!

Wow dte, that's awesome. Skies the limit pretty much for gaming now isn't it? Like you said, you'll have to do something about that graphics card eventually. BTW, newegg has some deals on graphics cards right now. I just bought a GF 8800GTS from them. It screams and I'm absolutely loving it!

Finally--and just in time for all the fall releases. Good news, dte.:party2::boogie:
Expect to be seeing and hearing some music clips soon. :)

Well done, guess we won't see much of you for awhile as you catch up on all you've missed without a decent rig!! :)

Back
Top Bottom