"Nextgen" GPUs

I'm not sure what to think of AMD marketing campaign.

Image 0
Image 1
Image 2

Haha, yeah, red about that before. I actually quite like it. I can understand that some people living in dictatorships might be somewhat offended by this "Rebellion" talk, but to me it feels rather geeky and cool.

According to 3DCenter AMD Poland had the official price tag of the RX480 on their website for a short time.
It's $229 for the 8 GB card, wrote AMD Poland!
3dCenter speculates that this translates to a recommendation of 249€. (EUR prices include taxes.)

They also advise to ignore all these reports about massive overclocking. It's very unlikely the 4000 MHz GDDR5 has much room for o/c. So even if the chips can be o/c'ed, the effect should be limited.

If the numbers are looking right, having 2 RX470s in Xfire for an amazing total of $300 could beat an nVidia 1070 (or even 1080) costing 2 to 3 times as much. Interesting times. A few more days will tell us.

If the numbers are looking right, having 2 RX470s in Xfire for an amazing total of $300 could beat an nVidia 1070 (or even 1080) costing 2 to 3 times as much. Interesting times. A few more days will tell us.

You mean 2 x RX480?, but crossfire is pretty bad right? Most games don't support it at release. With the single card you know the game will work and its pot like with 2 cards.

Lots of people are saying that the 2x RX470 should be able to beat the 1070 in mgpu mode based on leak of a single card benchmark. How right they are, I can't tell, I don't know much about multi-gpu scaling.

Crossfire is as bad as the dev implements it though, but DX12 doesn't use it (nor SLI). Mgpu under DX12 is more flexible, but it leaves all the implementation to the developers. I expect AMD to push devs to add it in, it wouldn't surprise me if the console refresh were multi-gpus actually.

Both dx12 and vulkan allow pairing different hardware.
Why would you pair two AMD cards? IMO the best solution is to grab a bit from both worlds and then you don't care if nvidia or AMD's driver is "optimized" for a game.
Not only that, a combo of different cards allows you to not care if your brand new fancy and overexpensive 1ms/144Hz monitor supports nsync or freesync.

Consoles you say? Things we have on PC is sci-fi for those. By the time consoles start talking about stuff we already have on PC like hairworks we'll have some other new techs to discuss.

Why would you pair two AMD cards?

Because nvidia will lock the possibility to run their cards with anything that isn't nvidia. A few years ago you could have one AMD card and one older nvidia card just for the Physx stuff (I personally did such a setup). It didn't take long before nvidia updated their drivers to make sure you couldn't do it.

They could. Now they can't. Even if they find a way, OS will get patched so a driver cannot "talk to" other hardware it's not designed for.

Not only that, a combo of different cards allows you to not care if your brand new fancy and overexpensive 1ms/144Hz monitor supports nsync or freesync.

I hope nobody has a monitor that supports nsync:

71kl8o4vFpL._SL1101_.jpg

LOL
I ment to type gsync dunno how it turned into n.

LOL
I ment to type gsync dunno how it turned into n.

damn it! I thought you were intentionally mocking gsyn as shallow, pretentious and expensive by refering ot it as nsync :p

It's too expensive most definetly. Shallow or pretentious it's not.

Both gsync and freesync are one of those things that make gaming on PC so much different than gaming on phones.

And again. Resolution is selling point of kindergarden toys that cannot pull 60+ FPS. 4K for videogames is overrated. Some people would take 4K over FPS any day, I wouldn't ever. And I'm not the only one.
Gegury proves what a gamer needs. As high FPS as possible. 1080-1440p on 22-24inch monitor. Oh and, imagine that, K+M. Leave mushrooms to suckers.
http://www.pcgamesn.com/overwatch/top-zarya-player-forced-to-prove-shes-not-an-overwatch-cheat

I don't think the requirements of a competition FPS player tell us much about what a gamer needs. Those guys often strip their graphic settings down to the basics to get extreme FPS, to maximize their edge. That's not necessarily how most of us want to enjoy our games.

I think 4K is significant. It's not just about the pixel-density, it's that the game scene is rendered with far more detail. This can make quite a difference, making the scene feel much more real. I wouldn't advise buying just yet though - wait until monitors with 4K and true HDR are ready, because those are incredible.

I don't think the requirements of a competition FPS player tell us much about what a gamer needs. Those guys often strip their graphic settings down to the basics to get extreme FPS, to maximize their edge. That's not necessarily how most of us want to enjoy our games.

I think 4K is significant. It's not just about the pixel-density, it's that the game scene is rendered with far more detail. This can make quite a difference, making the scene feel much more real. I wouldn't advise buying just yet though - wait until monitors with 4K and true HDR are ready, because those are incredible.

I think 4K is nice, definitely. However I think those that haven't experienced an Ultrawide display should at least try it before they convert. Going to a single monitor that takes the place of 2 with no bezel in the middle, and having your dense pixels spread horizontally rather than vertically makes for ( IMO ) a superior gaming experience to 4K. And as mentioned before, you're pushing less pixels than 4K, so less taxing on the GPU. The best results are on a 34" 3440 x 1440 curved display though. The biggest downside is the premium price though, as you're looking at higher 3 digit prices. Like any newer technology though, it always comes down with popularity.

Yeah, I'm not wedded to the strict 4k format, per se. I'm sure it's good in ultra-wide ,too. I'm just in favour of super-high resolution for gaming. I think that people overlook the fact that it's not just the same image being displayed with high-pixel density, but that the image itself is being generated with far more detail and depth, which I find very effective. It's like looking at a more real world, and somehow less "gamey".

Back
Top Bottom