"Nextgen" GPUs

Guys I'm working on perhaps ages old 22inch monitor, 60Hz.
Recently I've noticed that it's not as bright as before, I thought it's because of my smoking and cleaned it but it's just not. It's dying.

Anything bigger than 24inch is me sayin' "no" as I want a monitor, not TV. Over 60Hz is a must etc.
The best in that category I've seen are Asus VG248QE and BenQ XL2411Z, almost the same price. However Asus one is ment to enjoy not just games but also videos, so I'll go for that one. I wasn't sure what that means at seller I want to buy from, so found a video of comparision (minute 5) and I to plan to watch movies on it:

Oh and... I don't care about 4K.

Last edited:
Regarding monitors I use prad.de which is a huge monitor comparison site.
And to be honest I don't even understand most of what is tested.
Sure, there are some things which are important, like that the corners dont get "white" and such.

I am currently using 3 Iiyama monitors.
2 of them 22", and the center one 27" (ProLiteB2780HSU). Only a resolution of 1080p and actually pretty cheap but good screens. I dont see any reason to upgrade or change anything.
Setup.jpg

Btw: official Euro price tags are confirmed:

1080 Founders Edition: 789 Euro
1070 Founders Edition: 499 Euro

And Custom Cards could then be about 100€ cheaper.

3D Vision time for Joxer!! ;)

1080 is officially out. The "nextgen" is now current gen.

The GTX 1070 review NDA has now dropped as well. Check here for a list of reviews.

The TL;DR is: GTX 980Ti/TitanX performance can now be had for $449/$379. The founder's edition ($449) and custom cards (starting at $379) will start shipping June 10th.

The TL;DR is: GTX 980Ti/TitanX performance can now be had for $449/$379…
… Instead of… How many dollars?
I know I should ask JDR about that, but still. ;)

EDIT:
Interesting title of an article at PCGamer.
Says: GeForce GTX 1070 performance preview: goodbye, 980 Ti

And under it: Initial benchmarks show the 1070 beating the 980 Ti and Titan X in every game we tested. Yes, really.

http://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1070-performance-preview/

I bet they'd speak differently if were testing AC:Unity or Batman:AK. ;)

Last edited:
… Instead of… How many dollars?
I know I should ask JDR about that, but still. ;)

EDIT:
Interesting title of an article at PCGamer.
Says: GeForce GTX 1070 performance preview: goodbye, 980 Ti

And under it: Initial benchmarks show the 1070 beating the 980 Ti and Titan X in every game we tested. Yes, really.

http://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1070-performance-preview/

I bet they'd speak differently if were testing AC:Unity or Batman:AK. ;)

And then you have benchmarks at guru3d that shows barely +1/2FPS difference with the 980Ti/TitanX…

edit:
The 980TI are currently around $500-600 USD new, but there is going to be a lot on the used market from people moving to 1080 because they always need to have the latest card...

I choose to trust Tom's hardware review on GTX 1070:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-5.html

That's TW3 test. The conclusion is on the next page and says:
The short of it is that, in every test we ran, GeForce GTX 1070 is as fast as, or faster than the $1100+ GeForce GTX Titan X. It’s not always quick enough to beat AMD’s Radeon R9 Fury X, or even the vanilla Fury.

Oh yeah, and remember that the 1070 Founders Edition card is slated to sell for $449. In the days prior to launch, GeForce GTX 980 Ti still goes for $550 and up. Titan X remains pegged at $1150. Radeon R9 Fury X commands $600 or more. And the vanilla Fury starts in the neighborhood of $520. As you might imagine, a GeForce GTX 1070 that outruns every one of those previous-gen products and sells for ~$450 completely rewrites our high-end recommendations moving forward.

Now consider Nvidia’s claim that third-party cards from its partners will start at $379.

A nitpick eye will notice that while GTX 1070 is considered as GTX 970 successor, the latter was not used in tests! ;)

Now we wait for GTX 1060, GTX 1080ti and probably near Christmas GTX 1050.
There are no dates for AMD's Polaris set, hopefully we'll know more soon.

Last edited:
I hoped to see a Gainward Phantom 1070 but apparently they wont continue the Phantom series. I asked them via mail and this is the relevant part of their answer:

leider wird es die Phantombaureihe mit den neuen Pascalkarten nicht mehr geben.
Es wird aber neben der Phoenixbaureihe noch eine weitere Baureihe kommen.
Dazu haben wir derzeit noch keine näheren Informationen.

->Unfortunately the Phantomseries will not be continued with the new Pascal Cards.
Next to the Phoenix Series we will introduce a new Series though. We have no further information about this one yet.

Reminder, less than 10 hours until AMD gives a "Polaris Update" at Computex. Countdown here, live stream will be here.

I ended up watching a bit of the AMD stream before going to bed and fell right on the Polaris presentation.

It was as expected, well cheaper than expected. Mainstream card starting at $199 (4GB version, $249.99 for 8GB) with perfo at GTX980 level (well Raja said $500 GPU on the market…GTX1070 release on June 10th, so excluding that one). The name is RX480 (that's a new convention). Release date: June 29th.

Doom is getting Async Compute, as does Battlefield 1.

As you can can imagine, they didn't bother with DX11. They showed 2x RX480 beating a GTX1080 in DX12 though. I would personally wait for real benchmarks…

I read some interesting comments on reddit though. Someone suggested that AMD was pushing hard for multiGPU/CPUs (i.e. stacking multiple GPU or CPU on the same board/chip) and that the console refresh might have it forcing developers to implement DX12/Vulcan multi-adapter (instead of ignoring it like SLI and Crossfire).

Last edited:
Well I sold my GTX 970 last night for £200 but I bought it a year ago for £240 so I am happy!

Now the question sis should I buy 1070 when it come out in few days or wait for the AMD card at the end of the month? Decision decision :lol:

I would personally suggest to wait for both to have cards to have reviews. The GTX1080 has fan, temperature and throttling issues going by FE owners complaints. The fan is a FE problem, but the temp and throttling don't appear to be going by AIB board reviews of it. The 1070 might have similar problems. As does the AMD cards.

Also, really depends on what are you going to game. At 1080p/DX11, I would say Nvidia, but the GTX1070 is overkill for it (the GTX1060 should come this summer). For future proofing DX12/Vulcan, I personally would say go AMD, they are the one pushing developers to implement them and they currently are getting the better performance boost from it (when developers are bothering implementing them properly instead of a crappy wrapper over DX11).

AMD also have other cards to announce (at least one, the 470 which perform higher than a GTX970 in a Futurmarks benchmark leak, people are expecting the price to be $150 USD). It will most probably be at E3.

As I understand it, although these Nvidia and AMD cards came out at the same time, they are not meant to compete in the same market. For AMD, this release is aimed at the "value" segment, and not a successor to their higher end cards. Those cards are expected towards the end of the year, and codenamed Vega. Those are the ones I'm most interested to see, and the ones more directly competing with these Nvidia cards.

I would personally suggest to wait for both to have cards to have reviews. The GTX1080 has fan, temperature and throttling issues going by FE owners complaints. The fan is a FE problem, but the temp and throttling don't appear to be going by AIB board reviews of it. The 1070 might have similar problems. As does the AMD cards.

Also, really depends on what are you going to game. At 1080p/DX11, I would say Nvidia, but the GTX1070 is overkill for it (the GTX1060 should come this summer). For future proofing DX12/Vulcan, I personally would say go AMD, they are the one pushing developers to implement them and they currently are getting the better performance boost from it (when developers are bothering implementing them properly instead of a crappy wrapper over DX11).

AMD also have other cards to announce (at least one, the 470 which perform higher than a GTX970 in a Futurmarks benchmark leak, people are expecting the price to be $150 USD). It will most probably be at E3.

I am gaming at 1440p currently and GTX 970 was fine but can't run things at max setting. For example, GTX 970 gives me around 35 - 40 FPS on Witcher 3 with everything maxed at 1440p. I have no idea what I want in relation to DX11 or DX12 etc.

Given this what would you recommend? :)

Next on my play list is Skyrim Dragon born expansion to wet my apatite for Endreal :p

Given this what would you recommend? :)

35-40FPS at max setting is quite playable to me…

Anyway, wait for RX480 benchmarks/reviews that should come in a few week(s) (my bet is around June 10th or a few days later at E3). Also, there is apparently a $300 RX480 model that haven't been announced yet and more stuff shown at the Macau event that are still under NDA.

As for DX11 vs DX12/Vulcan. I personally favor DX12/Vulcan because the two games I'm waiting the most for (DX:MD and MEA) will support it. I doubt that the RX480 will perform worst in DX11 too, so it should still be an upgrade from GTX970.

Oh and if you have the money, buy a cheap card now and next year buy the better than GTX1080 card (be it the GTX1080Ti or the AMD Vega card).

Well I sold my GTX 970 last night for £200 but I bought it a year ago for £240 so I am happy!

Now the question sis should I buy 1070 when it come out in few days or wait for the AMD card at the end of the month? Decision decision :lol:
I say wait a bit.
It looks as if new AMD's RX480 GPU will give performance of Fury X for mere $200!
http://videocardz.com/60819/amd-radeon-rx-480-confirmed-as-polaris-67dfc7

Till final decision on what to buy, postpone TW3 replay and in the meantime play all those phonegame garbage ports originally released in 2010. on "superb" consoles but look like stuff we had on PC in 1990. and as such work even on a toaster (like I did).

----

While I can't understand PC Gamer's taste when it comes to games, this article about AMD Radeon RX 480 is fantastic:
http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-shoots-for-value-at-200/
even though this may not have the excitement of a $380 Titan X equivalent, the current consoles have to get by on 1.3-1.84 TFLOPS, so now a $199 GPU will basically offer three times the performance potential of a PS4. Next time someone tries to tell you PC gaming is expensive, try putting a $200 GPU in any PC made in the past five years, and you have a much less costly console alternative.
Next time one of my friends mentions mushrooms, I'll print the last sentence on a t-shirt and gift it for their birthday!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom