Original Sin - Interview @ One Angry Gamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
One Angry Gamer interviewed Thierry Van Gyseghem who was the animator & artist for Divinity: Original Sin about Boob-Plates, Sexism And Moral Outrage.

Billy: One of the things I was curious about was when the controversy broke out over the boob-plate armor, was it actually Kickstarter backers sending most of the criticisms or was it relegated to the gaming media and pockets of social media sub-communities?

Thierry: The original cover art had been used for nearly a year at that point, we even had a booth on E3 2012, without a complaint. It was a very small vocal minority that complained about the cover design when we went on kickstarter. Because of the kickstarter campaign there were certain gaming media sites that picked up on it and amplified the complains, I think we all know which sites are the most vigilant in their political agenda. I can only assume social media sub-communities will have added to it also.

Billy: Lately there’s been a lot of controversy over creative freedoms that developers can or should exercise with character designs. How much of it do you feel is legitimate criticisms and how much of it do you feel is social politics invading the creative design space?

Thierry: Criticism is formed by opinions, and opinions are formed by what we see, hear and read. So yes I do feel that social politics has a hand in the criticism that is thrown at creative freedom because it’s politics that decides what we see, hear and read. It’s remarkable that you can almost pinpoint the critiques to certain parts in the world, since different parts of the world have different politics.

So in that regard, no I don’t think there are that many legitimate critiques on character design as all of it is just pure taste and preference based. You can like something, or you can dislike something. Feel free to walk away if you don’t like it, but don’t harass the creator for it and wave your political flag.
More information.

Last edited:
I'm so glad that Star Citizen realized that there's actually no functional point to having armor shaped like boobs. Flat female armor caused an even louder backlash from these reactionary toddler-boy-oral-fixation-fetishist types, though…

"waving political flag". Lmao!

I'm so glad that Star Citizen realized that there's actually no functional point to having armor shaped like boobs.

There's tons of stuff women wear that makes absolutely no sense (or serves any real function). If a woman designed a breast plate i'm pretty sure it would be anything but flat.. I'm pretty sure a big boobed plate armor could be useful as a distraction in combat ;)

No news about that update they're supposedly working on? :( Want to play this, but won't bother until its out..

Hmm. Surely the breastplate Kate Upton wears in those TV commercials serves a purpose! What's that game about again?

No news about that update they're supposedly working on? :( Want to play this, but won't bother until its out..
No news since last year. Last I heard Larian was hiring more writers.

lol he's a 'gater

tumblr_nf60gqMULp1s3jkgqo1_1280.png

Hmm. Surely the breastplate Kate Upton wears in those TV commercials serves a purpose! What's that game about again?
Game of war.

Since I know, I guess the commercial worked :( I saw the quick look on giant bomb, I can't describe just how awful it is (and apparently it works for the masses)

Nothing wrong with a little boob bling.

Allowing people to choose to wear whatever is apart of the rpg experience. i.e.customisation, roleplaying etc. You can never accuse Larians rpgs of being overly serious. If you want to dress seriously you can, if you want to dress silly you can - better to be sex positive then sex negative.

Allowing people to choose to wear whatever is apart of the rpg experience. i.e.customisation, roleplaying etc. You can never accuse Larians rpgs of being overly serious. If you want to dress seriously you can, if you want to dress silly you can - better to be sex positive then sex negative.

I'm not even fond of such designs but I think they are completely harmless and not exploited in a sleazy manner. I don't seek to prevent anyone from using or enjoying that sort of design. The cowards are those who want to censor what other people like or to dictate a company what they have a right to do or not do.

Then again these are the sort of people who are obsessed with controlling other people's thoughts through "trigger warnings" and other such absurdities. They do a perfect job of showing the world how mad they are on their own.

The most ironic is that a site like Gawker will have a click-baiting article like that, and then the right next article will be about the "hottest booth babes". It is more than laughable.

The most ironic is that a site like Gawker will have a click-baiting article like that, and then the right next article will be about the "hottest booth babes". It is more than laughable.

I thought you were supposed to be an evangelist. What are you doing discussing breasts?

Go back to your convent, you filthy sinner.

I'm not even fond of such designs but I think they are completely harmless and not exploited in a sleazy manner. I don't seek to prevent anyone from using or enjoying that sort of design. The cowards are those who want to censor what other people like or to dictate a company what they have a right to do or not do.

This might be the most sane thing you have written here.

Can you talk to me in private this way LOL….just joking

Only if you create an entire life out of Christian purity and I can destroy all that and damn your soul instantly in a single conversation...xD

Only if you create an entire life out of Christian purity and I can destroy all that and damn your soul instantly in a single conversation…xD

Now you are just teasing me...and on a Sunday at that...

I thought you were supposed to be an evangelist. What are you doing discussing breasts?

Go back to your convent, you filthy sinner.

Here's the thing: if there is going to be freedom of speech and artistic expression, then the rules should apply to everyone equally, and not only to those who support the cultural zeitgeist. Even I can see that.

If the only response to content that some people find offensive is to bully the company until they give them what they want or to intimidate them into going away then this is not respecting freedom of expression, it is mob rule.

If the only response to content that some people find offensive is to bully the company until they give them what they want or to intimidate them into going away then this is not respecting freedom of expression, it is mob rule.

So your side (the give-me-t*ts-or-I'll-hate-your-company-forever side) never does this?

And the only "cultural zeitgeist" I see is the anti-woman kind, the kind that defends companies that want to make games where women have been eliminated entirely "just because", and where women that make a stand are doxxed and bullied into silence, where feminist talks are delivered bomb threats if the woman appears.

So without meaning to, I think you articulated my point quite nicely. :)

My side - such as it is - rarely resorts to threats of violence to achieve its aims.

For your side, it's everyday currency.

@Aubrielle

"My side...your side"

We are not discussing sports teams, at least I think we're not. Applying labels to people is a quick way to shut down discussion but not particularly productive to a real debate.

'And the only "cultural zeitgeist" I see is the anti-woman kind, the kind that defends companies that want to make games where women have been eliminated entirely "just because" '

Out of curiousity can you name a game where this has occurred?

'...and where women that make a stand are doxxed and bullied into silence, where feminist talks are delivered bomb threats if the woman appears.'

Obviously that is terrible behaviour and not to be condoned. Do you think it is healthy to subscribe the actions of idiots and trolls to a whole group of people who no doubt have diverse and unique worldviews? Just because some people have used a hastag?

Anyways peace out.

Back
Top Bottom