P&R&controversies things you might like to know

well, they can rot in their own ghetto but the social networks will become just a little bit cleaner.

Time for the hacker community to unleash the hounds.

Just skimmed the article a bit but initial reaction:

It's kind of funny that Charlottesville led to white supremacists / Neo-Nazis being "a lot less welcome online". Implies people were thinking along the lines of: "I was totally fine with racism and anti-Semitism, until I found out these people are violent!" WTF?

Just skimmed the article a bit but initial reaction:

It's kind of funny that Charlottesville led to white supremacists / Neo-Nazis being "a lot less welcome online". Implies people were thinking along the lines of: "I was totally fine with racism and anti-Semitism, until I found out these people are violent!" WTF?
I think it is rather common to just ignore those unseen, unnoticed. But when there is a striking image, like a car driving into people, a man being beaten with poles, and a yelling mob carrying torches, people will put a mark to every member of the group: you are like that too. Now that all members of that group are suspect - for all to see - outsiders wish to distance themselves.

I think it is rather common to just ignore those unseen, unnoticed. But when there is a striking image, like a car driving into people, a man being beaten with poles, and a yelling mob carrying torches, people will put a mark to every member of the group: you are like that too. Now that all members of that group are suspect - for all to see - outsiders wish to distance themselves.

Which is why amongst Trump supporters I see three trends:
- False equivalency - "the other guys are just as bad"
- Minimization - "there are only a few dozen people like that, fake news is inflating numbers"
- Separation - "this is a fringe element we do not associate with, and no one could have known they would be emboldened after Trump was elected"

It is completely unrelated to GDPR or net neutrality, but article 13 of the proposed legislation can work in two ways. The negatieve way, which will certainly happen, is described in the article. The other to protect intellectual property, might also happen.
I don’t see a way how this can work and will satisfy everyone. Maybe if we say that intellectual property, which is not protected by a patent, no longer exists, the problem does not exist. But beyond that, there will always be situations in which protecting IP will negatively influence something or someone.
That said, as it is currently stated, it could use a bit of tweaking.

Hopefully it won't pass, and the EU won't disgrace itself.

The EU is usually good on the issue of fundamental rights (better than the UK, which is one reason I'd rather not leave.) But, it is still a rather neo-liberal, pro-corporate outfit. Many on the left have always been suspicious of it, and the rancid influence of big-money lobbying can certainly infect it. Hopefully wiser heads will prevail.

More pessimistically, I think in the long term the internet will become a tool for surveillance and control, rather than the force for freedom it started as. It started in the hands of the Rebels, but the Empire is rapidly taking over.

I'm mixed. On the one hand I think copyright owners (esp news papers) need more protection because they are being seriously harmed. On the other hand I don' think this will fix the issue correctly. Unfortunately I don't think there is any real good fix and I guess a fix with some bad points is better than no fix however I'm not sure if this is that fix or if there is something better. I haven't study the issue with enough depth to give a strong opinion on this specific legislation.

The US tried this a few years back and it was never passed due to all the media coverage, but another bill that was less damaging was passed a year later instead.
It is completely unrelated to GDPR or net .
It's a joke with lyrics from an 80's song.

Anyway it was just a jab after passing GDPR that everybody loved.

Last edited:
All is will take is a few more incidents, and the Empire will totally seize control of this technology, and bend it to their will. It is simply just a matter of time, and a couple of old blokes will run it all.

Last edited:

Love this guys channel.:cool:

Kim Dotcom, Megaupload founder, can face U.S. extradition: New Zealand court.

Link - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ew-zealand-court/ar-AAzACnv?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Internet entrepreneur and Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom can be extradited to the United States to face racketeering and criminal copyright charges, New Zealand's Court of Appeal ruled on Thursday.

It upheld a lower court ruling in 2017 that the extradition could take place, and set the stage for Dotcom's final appeal to the Supreme Court, the country's highest judicial body.

The six-year legal saga is widely seen as a test for how far the United States can reach globally to apply American firms' intellectual property rights.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom