PC Gamer - Gabriel Knight Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PC Gamer interviewed Jane Jensen about the revival of her classic adventure game.

PC Gamer: Why did you decide to remake Gabriel Knight?

Jane Jensen, game designer, Pinkerton Road Studio: I don’t own the license, and I’ve gone in to pitch various GK ideas probably three different times over the last 20 years. We just never got very far with it. And then, when we were doing our Kickstarter, I had somebody from Activision contact me. And this was a producer who was really interested in bringing back some of the Sierra titles. And so I met with them and discussed what would be good to do and I really thought if we wanted to kick off the GK series again it would be a good idea to redo the first one.

PCG: Why did Activision approach you? Did they tell you?

Jensen: Well, like any big company, it’s really a matter of somebody in-house being passionate about something, and this producer was passionate about seeing some of the Sierra stuff, and I think, eventually, that morphed into them refreshing the whole Sierra brand, which they’re just starting to do. But when I was first talking to them, that hadn’t happened yet and he was still trying to feel out ways to bring some of these titles back.

PCG: How did you feel about the announcement that Sierra Entertainment’s coming back?

Jensen: I think it’s great. I think it’s way past time that they did something with that wonderful franchise that has been passed around, and I’m happy to see somebody paying attention to it again and looking forward to hopefully lots of new titles.
More information.

Gabriel Knight - Adventure gaming at it's very best.

As Jane I hope for new adventures as well, not only remakes.

While I was never a huge fan of PC adventures, Gabriel Knight was among the best I've ever played, and I'm looking forward to playing it again.

Other adventures I remember fondly, and are ripe for remakes, include Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, the Bill & Ted inspired Day of the Tentacle, and Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Edition... How about a 25th anniversary edition of the 25th anniversary edition?

I think this remake is not really needed, and nothing can top the original pixel art.

Her last game Moebius was OK.

I think this remake is not really needed, and nothing can top the original pixel art.

Her last game Moebius was OK.

Do the old games still run on modern systems? - the last time I played a Gabriel Knight adventure was 10+ years ago.

Do the old games still run on modern systems? - the last time I played a Gabriel Knight adventure was 10+ years ago.

Yes, they do. I had no problems last year when I played through the whole series. I have em on GOG, but had an older version of GK 1 at hand and it worked with dosbox. There is a windows version though that should be running on modern systems as well.

I don't see why it's necessary to remake the first. I'm afraid they'll mess it up, it won't be well received and the suits will conclude that the franchise should stay dead...

Back
Top Bottom