PC gaming's future

UK_John

Watchdog
(Given this site carries a lot about gaming hardware, I thought I would talk about the state of PC gaming, because as PC gaming goes, so does PC hardware. NVidia have recently announced a 30%+ decline in card sales, and other companies involved in gaming hardware have said similar, therefore I copied this from another thread to start a debate about the future of PC gaming, and by extension, the future of PC hardware.)

(Copied from another thread)

I have become a half empty kind of guy when it comes to PC gaming, maybe because I have been a PC gamer for more than 20 years. This means I was around in the heyday that younger gamers look back on but did not live through. I subscribed to PC games magazines and read them, but you cannot go back and read them now as a most of them have gone.

I lived and worked in the U.S. for 6 years from 1991 to 1997 and saw the goings on in the largest PC gaming market while keeping an eye on the European side, then in 1998 I came back and watched the U.S. side while being in the European market.

I also have ran a independent games store when it was PC, Amiga, ST and still Commodore 64. Before that I owned a distribution franchise selling Commodore 64 games to game stores (all independent back then), and in the States for those years I ran a computer games business.

So I know this business as someone who has worked in it, been to the trade shows, talked to the developers and media editors and subscribed to the trade mags (that told us things consumer mags didn't), and all the while I was doing that in my various jobs I was a gamer too - never interested in console gaming, always wanted to play games that used my brains - and that was PC RPG's, simulations and strategy games, not (for most of the late 90's) arcade/platform console games.

Because of my background and experience maybe I have a different slant on the PC games business, where it's come from, and where it seems to be going than just gamers who have a 360 and PC at home and have been gaming since 2002.

I successfully predicted the computer game recession in 95-97 by pulling my games publisher business out of retail distribution and making it a direct sell games company, lowering our prices by 40% in the process. 80% of all games companies disappeared in those three years. I didn't. What I saw that few in the industry or media did was that everyone and their Uncle were jumping on the CD band wagon when hardly any gamers had cd-rom drives in their PC's. Being a gamer and still in the real world, I saw it would take 3 years or more for gamers to have PC's with this 'new technology'. It was just not reasonable, as the industry and media insisted, that gamers would upgrade. A few would, but the bulk of gamers even today may just about install a graphic card, but would not install a CD-Rom drive.

It's only a matter of being willing to to digest news over the medium term so you can ascertain facts. It's being willing to spend just a few minutes a day educating yourself as a gamer about what's going on. For example, a couple years ago, with the aid of a calculator, I spent about 10 minutes or so adding up all the review scores given by Gamespot the year before, I then divided the total by the number of reviews to get an average. At the end of the current year (at the time) I spent another 10 minutes or so doing the same with that current year. The results were in 2006 the average score was 77% and about 80 games were reviewed, and in 2007, the average score was 67% and about 60 games were reviewed. Anyone can spend 10 minutes and do the same thing for the 2008 reviews, but I am guessing it will be way fewer reviews, because there were way fewer PC game releases, and would also not be at all surprised if the review percentage went down again to show a continuing decline in the quality of PC gaming.

When I started a thread in Gamespot to give these numbers out, you should have read the excuses given! From reviewers getting harder on games than before (why?), to me not doing the math right! About 1 in 10 just said 'Wow, I didn't realise' or actually looked at the numbers and had a serious answer.

Now I shouldn't have had to have done that. Gamespot should have done that. But nobody is really interested in the facts, mostly the industry, media and PC gamers want to keep their heads in the sand.

Well, that doesn't work. You need debate, petitions, complaints, gamers unions, gamers cooperatives, putting pressure on the media and by extension the industry, but we don't have these consumer groups, we don't even have an investigative media. Take away the press release regurgitation and what do you have on most gaming and PC sites? Practically nothing.

When digital camera's started taking off, there was a huge debate in photography magazines about the repercussions and what it meant for the consumer, the market and the industry, some of what was talked about was quite unpalatable for certain groups, but it was talked about anyway. Our gaming media just don't do any of that. That's why when the games industry said 'we're going to put PC games into DVD cases, as it will mean smaller publishers will be able to get on the retailer shelves, the gaming media just went along with it. Even though they knew how the distribution system worked, they knew it wasn't because of lack of shelf space that smaller publishers couldn't get their titles into retail, it was because the big guys had made sure that distribution served their purposes. Their costs meant 70% discount to a distributor and a 40% discount for a retailer was within their budget because of their size, but that it kept everyone else out. I knew that, the industry knew that and the media knew that. It was the media's job to tell it's readers this but it didn't. It's because since around 2001/2 the gaming media has pretty much decided to support the industry, not it's readers/users.

This is why World of Warcraft's 10 millionth subscriber was huge news throughout the media, and yet DOSBox's news of it's 10 millionth download was not mentioned at all in any of the major PC press, print or web.

Given the state of the PC games market 15, 10 and 5 years ago, it doesn't take a lot of work to see that PC gaming has declined markedly. PC sales are around 40% of what they were 10 years ago with around 70% fewer PC titles being released than back then. It's got nothing to do with the consoles either, or Microsoft wouldn't have been able to make grounds into the the console market and the Wii could not have done either. How you succeed is simply giving the customer what they want. The customer doesn't want to upgrade every 18 months, the customer doesn't like that a game with 12 hours of gameplay sells for the same price as one that ha twice that amount. The customer doesn't like DRM or buggy game releases and the customer doesn't like his favourite genres being lopped off so that all games can become action/adventure/roleplaying games, that are actually none of the above!

We gamers get the industry and media we deserve, and that why I think the glass is half empty and the hole in said glass is getting bigger every year.

I will end by listing the main PC hits of 1994. This year is their 15th Anniversary. They are not all the hits, just the main one's. If you have been a PC gamer for any length of time, digesting this list shows the current state of PC gaming and it's dim future more than all my words above, or any articles about how PC gaming is doing so well at the moment......

Doom
TIE Fighter
System Shock
1942: The Pacific Air War
Star Trail: Realms of Arkania
X-COM: UFO Defense
Panzer General
NASCAR Racing
Lords of the Realm
Goblins Quest 3
The Way Things Work
X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM
Under a Killing Moon
Creature Shock
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Beneath a Steel Sky
FIFA International Soccer
Aces Of The Deep
Colonization
Descent
Alone In The Dark 2
Desert Strike - Return to The Gulf
Jagged Alliance
Jazz Jackrabbit
Legend of Kyrandia, The - Malcolms Revenge

Some real classics on that list. Still, you put 15 years of nostalgia on the 2008 list and it might provoke a similar comment. The overall list might be a bit shorter, but I bet you get a remarkably similar number of "5-star super-duper-uber classic" type games. The biggest difference is that you won't have a bunch of mid-sized developers like the ones that produced that list--you'll end up with a small handful of mega-corps and a bunch of plucky small independents.

Some real classics on that list. Still, you put 15 years of nostalgia on the 2008 list and it might provoke a similar comment. The overall list might be a bit shorter, but I bet you get a remarkably similar number of "5-star super-duper-uber classic" type games. The biggest difference is that you won't have a bunch of mid-sized developers like the ones that produced that list--you'll end up with a small handful of mega-corps and a bunch of plucky small independents.

These are the hits of 2008. I had to dig quite low to get a list together or I would have had a list about 5 long. bear in mind, that only the Fallout 3's and Far Cry 2's of this list are the one's that sold over a million copies on PC. Every single one on the list above sold at least a million, with half of them selling more than ANY of the titles in the list before, and a couple that sold more than the top 3 PC sellers of 2008 put together!

Sins of a Solar Empire
Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath
Assassin's Creed
Audiosurf
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Portal
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Soulstorm
Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor
Mass Effect
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
Dracula: Origin
Europa Universalis III: In Nomine
Europa Universalis III: Napoleon's Ambition
Devil May Cry 4
Sam & Max: Season Two
Space Siege
Spore
Crysis Warhead
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos - Battle March
Mount & Blade
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
The Witcher Enhanced Edition
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Far Cry 2
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Fallout 3
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Dead Space
World of Goo
Call of Duty: World at War
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Left 4 Dead
Need for Speed Undercover
A Vampyre Story
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
Prince of Persia
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
King's Bounty: The Legend
Grand Theft Auto IV

I don't think you have to talk about nostalgia to realise that you are not going to get a list from the above that matches the 1994 list on almost any level. Bear in mind that many of the above list, despite being the better known titles only managed reviews in the 70% range. The average Gamespot review score for 2008 was just 69.5%, does that strike you as 'quality PC gaming' overall - or as I think, now very spotty indeed! Sad to say!

You also have to take into account stuff like budgets and schedules. In 1994 it took only a few 100K US$ and a relatively small team and depending on the engine/tech sometimes as little as six months or a year at most to develop a (back then) AAA title.
Today you got budgets in the US$ 10+ million range and development schedules of at the very least two but often times closer to three years.
Given the changes in the scope of development it is only natural that big releases are much fewer and further between than back in the day.

Besides, I think it's entirely possible that 1994 was just an exceptional year where a lot of high profile releases coincided. Some years it's just like that. Just from an RPG point of view who doesn't have fond memories of 2002? 2002 saw the release of Dungeon Siege, Morrowind, NWN, Divine Divinity and Gothic 2 (OK, the latter in German speaking territories only) and that's just the big releases off of the top of my head. There might have been even more.

Anyway, I doubt that you could come up with a similar list for 1993, 1995 and 1996. And even then the above points about budget and dev time still remain valid. The times have simply changed. It is no longer possible to crank out games like mad with a limited risk as far as the budget is concerned.

Finally let us not forget that there was like a FUCKTON of really, really shitty games back then, too. I remember reading through issues of (German print mags) PC Games and PC Player being stunned, shaking my head and wondering where all these crappy games came from, what would happen to them, who would buy them and why they were even made in the first place. There was some really abysmal stuff out there back in the day. A lot of it.

Recent sale figures from my country.
How much total value of all sold games:

* Sony PSP 1,2 %
* Wii 17,3 %
* PlayStation 3 19,3 %
* PC-pelit ja -multimedia 16,7 %
* PlayStation 2 21,7 %
* Nintendo DS 5,9 %
* Xbox 360 17,9 %

How many games sold:

* PlayStation 3 13,2 %
* Wii 9,3 %
* DS 5,0 %
* PlayStation 2 30,5 %
* PSP 1,6 %
* Xbox 360 11,7 %
* PC-pelit ja -multimedia 28,7 %
PC sales are between Wii and DS handconsole when total value is looked. It still sells lots of games (second only to ps2) but the total value of them is falling behind. Best money is made on the top4 consoles.

I don't know that your 2008 list is all that disheartening. For one thing, if you want your sales numbers not to be so skewed, you need to add all the SIMS stuff back into the picture. Anyway, I say again that painting 15 years of nostalgia and perspective on that list may yield some surprising highlights. After all, DOOM was a good game, but it's "sainthood" derives from the sub-genre it popularized. Who's to say that in 15 years we won't look at Spore as a good game that spawned something special?

Finally, you're looking at a maturing media. In 1994, it was all new and innovation was pretty easy. Hardware was making jumps every other week, which allowed game design to similarly leap. In 2008, we didn't get a new generation CPU (Quad-core was 2007, IIRC) and I don't think we got a new generation video chipset either--for the whole year. When we're sitting on the flat tail of the log curve, you're not going to get as many "world shaking" events to point to.

This was an interesting post with valuable insights. I see things somewhat differently, based on my own experience.

The fundamental challenge high-technology businesses face is getting their target market to understand what's being offered to them and why it's valuable. All by itself, that can be harder than you might expect. Then factor in competition, and customers tend to get confused by the mixed messages they receive.

And that's just a depiction of the present state, the one that's easiest to understand. To make some decisions, customers often really need a better handle, one that enables them to form an opinion of the direction of certain technologies and markets (involving a view of the past and also the future).

The original post contained two examples of the real difficulty of that kind of thinking. The first is when UK John asserted that the direction of hardware is driven by the direction of games. There's a symbiotic relationship there, naturally, but his conclusion is basically backwards (sorry, John).

The second is the example about CD-ROMs. It's true that folks were late to jump on that bandwagon, but it was because PC customers didn't understand well enough to make the best decision. The market drove progress, not technology (as should have been expected).

If it sounds like I'm picking on PC customers, I'm really not. Actually, I've found that the more sophisticated the customer, the harder it can be to get the message through to them. The future of PC gaming depends entirely on its customers, IMO. They need to come up to speed in order to make better buying decisions. It boils down to that.

But there's an entire gauntlet of pitfalls standing in the way, pride being the most devastating. With these subjects it's easy to ridicule (and easy to feel ridiculed), and so most folks are reluctant to take a stand, even if it's merely to state their objections and concerns.

As a group, PC customers ought to consider and discuss new paradigms all the time. They should never be cowed by pathetic attempt to bully them into thinking that makes them foolish or stupid.

Last edited:
Nice post Squeek, and customers are part of it to be sure. Hard core PC gamers have been part of the problem, and the industry has spent too much in listening to the hardcore gamers that flood the developer forums. The STALKER developer listened to it's hard core customer and made STALKER Clear Sky so hard that only those hard core gamers liked it, consequently, it sold a lot less. Funcom did the same, sold 4 million copies of The Longest Journey, made a follow up so casual it had no gaming in it and couldn't sell that many even though they had it on 360 too! So look to the hardcore gamers too much and you go wrong and look to what the media is telling you about casual gamers too and get it wrong too.

And zakhal, i'd like to know what country you are in, have a feeling it's Germany if I am to believe your numbers.

As to you Moriendor, how about 1996 then? If anything - more impressive! If you just listed the classic of classics (*), you'd still have an impressive list!

*Command & Conquer/Covert Ops.
*Civilization 2 {W}
*Duke Nukem 3D
Civilization/CivNet
(Quake
*Wing Commander 4
*Master of Orion
*Master of Magic
MechWarrior 2/add-ons: The Clans
*Descent
*Need for Speed
*SimCity 2000
*Dune 2: Building of a Dynasty
Panzer General
Steel Panthers
*Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
*X-COM 2: Terror f.t. Deep
*Colonization
*Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Fifa Soccer 96
*Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger
*World Circuit Racing/F1: Grand Prix 2
*The Dig
*Tie Fighter/add-on
*11th Hour: Be Afraid of the Dark
*Crusader: No Remorse
Championship Manager 2
*Myst
*Transport Tycoon/deluxe
*Stonekeep
*Full Throttle
*Command & Conquer: Red Alert
*Star Control 2: Ur-Quan Masters
*Betrayal at Krondor
Fantasy General
Caesar 2
*The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall
The Settlers 2
*Day of the Tentacle
Ascendancy
*Phantasmagoria
*Anvil of Dawn
*X-Wing/Imperial Purs.,B-Wing
*Zork Nemesis
*EF2000/TFX 2
*Master of Orion 2: Battle at Antares
Shivers
*Rebel Assault 2: The Hidden Empire
*Z
Indycar Racing 2
*Ultima Underworld
Nascar Racing
Heretic/Shadow of the Serpent Rider
*Heroes of Might & Magic 2
Rise of the Triad: Dark War
Conquest of the New World
Allied General
*Under a Killing Moon
*Warlords 2/deluxe
*Star Trek TNG: A Final Unity
Destruction Derby
*Links LS
*Ind. Jones: Fate of Atlantis
*7th Guest
*Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri.
*Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Mortal Kombat 3
Magic Carpet 2: The Netherworlds
*Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games

TThe second is the example about CD-ROMs. It's true that folks were late to jump on that bandwagon, but it was because PC customers didn't understand well enough to make the best decision. The market drove progress, not technology (as should have been expected)

I would like to point to one little fact here, the gaming companies were stuffing the CDROMS with crap in order to fill them up. They had tons of space left over and didn't know what to do with it. So for example we got Feist interveiws and some other stuff that I can't remember on the Betrayal at Krondor CD. Plus tons of lore narrated by none other than Patrick Stewart in the first Lands of Lore. Hey I loved it, but could I have lived without it and just enjoyed the game, of course.

It wasn't the customer who was going hmmmm should I buy this funky thing? Nope sorry, it was the devs needed time to figure out what to do with all that wonderful new space.

Once the technology caught up where they actually needed that space for games is when people started jumping on the bandwagon.

Edit: That and the fact they stopped selling both Floppy and CD-ROM games. They started only coming in CDROM. So if you wanted to play the game you had to buy that funky new gizmo.

Windows works like that as well, although I go against the grain everytime they release a new OS. I will wait years until the new games are only coming out in the new OS.

Last edited:
I have to say, reading this thread really depressed me - I've played probably 50-70% of the games you listed for '94 and '96 and I honestly can't think of many games made in the past decade (with a few notable exceptions) that come close to those you listed.

My theory and I've heard other express this opinion as well, is that devs/publishers need to stop doing what Hollywood does. They spend millions on AAA titles, but they have an advantage over us. They first get the initial sales off the the movie in the movie theaters, then video rental, then HBO, then buy the DVD. That is 3 times as many opportunities to sell one product than our little hobby has.

I say tone down the freaking costs. Have a few devs that want to continue making Million dollar AAA titles and have the rest be more experimental. This might come as a shock to the graphics hoaz out there, but if your costs are low in production and if they can find a reliable and cheaper means of getting the product to the people (download, order online, or even throw a few of the better ones in EBGames) Then you won't risk going bankrupt if one title doesn't sell as well as you think. You won't make millions, but you won't die out either. Hmmmm only if I had a million dollars to spend on this crackpot dream of mine ;)

skavenhorde, I have said for years (and I mean over a decade!) that the games business, especially the PC games business, should have (and should still) follow the book industry not the movie industry. Books are longer term. The story of course is the thing and book stores have more intelligent customers who are more likely to understand that graphics is not the be all and end all. Lastly, book stores carry the widest range of genres and would have accepted the widest range of genres, hence we would have had more detective games rather than 'criminal' games and would have had cowboy games and different forms of sci-fi and fantasy than we get and games about cities ran by animals and games about Angels fighting devils, etc. While we would have reduced priced games (paperback) we would not have budget labels and would not have had PC games like X-Com disappearing or becoming 9.99 budget label games less than a year after release!

As to you Moriendor, how about 1996 then? If anything - more impressive! If you just listed the classic of classics (*), you'd still have an impressive list!

Well, let's see (all of "my" dates according to Wikipedia)... :)

Before we get into the release date checking let me restate though: I don't doubt that the mid 90s were the golden era of video gaming. But let us face reality here. As I said above, budgets and schedules are totally different today. I'm 100% sure that if there were a way for publishers to crank out high quality games at a higher rate, they'd do it. Just look at your own examples. We often had a main game and then an expansion for said game released in the same year. With Valve nowadays you can be glad if a HL2 expansion comes out the same decade :biggrin: . All joking aside if we do make comparisons between 1994 - 1996 and today then we need to apply scaling mechanisms. Since development schedules seem to have roughly tripled we'd have to compare 1994 - 1996 to 2006 - 2015. And then we'd need to let some 15 years pass for nostalgia to set in so we're in 2030 by now. No, wait, we aren't quite there yet, are we? So, yeah, it's (IMHO) pretty pointless to make comparisons of this sort at this time.

*Master of Magic
Is a 1994 game, not 1996.

Is a 1995 game, not 1996.

*Need for Speed
Is a 1994 game and the sequel a 1997 game. Not 1996.

*SimCity 2000
Was released for DOS in 1993 and Windows in 1995. Not 1996.

*Dune 2: Building of a Dynasty
Is a 1992 game, not 1996.

Panzer General

*Warcraft: Orcs and Humans

*X-COM 2: Terror f.t. Deep

*Colonization

*Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger

*World Circuit Racing/F1: Grand Prix 2
Was a 1995 release in our part of the world. Only North America got it in 1996.

1995, not 1996.

*Tie Fighter/add-on
1995, not 1996.

*11th Hour: Be Afraid of the Dark
1995, not 1996.

*Crusader: No Remorse
1995, not 1996.

1993, not 1996.

*Stonekeep
1995, not 1996.

*Full Throttle
1995, not 1996.

*Star Control 2: Ur-Quan Masters
1992, not 1996.

*Betrayal at Krondor
1993, not 1996.

1995, not 1996.

*Day of the Tentacle
1993, not 1996.

Ascendancy
1995, not 1996.

*Phantasmagoria
1995, not 1996.

*Anvil of Dawn
1995, not 1996.

*X-Wing/Imperial Purs.,B-Wing
Both expansions are 1993 releases, not 1996.

*EF2000/TFX 2
EF2000 was a 1995 release.

1995, not 1996.

*Rebel Assault 2: The Hidden Empire
1995, not 1996.

Indycar Racing 2
1995, not 1996.

*Ultima Underworld
1992, not 1996.

Nascar Racing
1994, not 1996.

Heretic/Shadow of the Serpent Rider
1994, not 1996.

Rise of the Triad: Dark War
1995, not 1996.

Allied General
1995, not 1996.

*Under a Killing Moon
1994, not 1996.

*Warlords 2/deluxe
1993, not 1996.

*Star Trek TNG: A Final Unity
1995, not 1996.

Destruction Derby
1995, not 1996.

*Ind. Jones: Fate of Atlantis
1992, not 1996.

*7th Guest
DOS 1993, Windows 1997, not 1996.

*Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
1993, not 1996.

Magic Carpet 2: The Netherworlds
1995, not 1996.

*Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
1995, not 1996.

....So you trust Wikipedia then?

Maybe it was U.S. release dates, maybe it was UK release dates, maybe it included re-releases, maybe......

Pick any year or any 6 months from 1993 to 1999 and a classic list is going to be produced. Take any list of PC game releases since around 2004 and while there will be a couple of 'stars' in the list, overall, well, it will prove the decline.

....So you trust Wikipedia then?

Maybe it was U.S. release dates, maybe it was UK release dates, maybe it included re-releases, maybe......

Im pretty sure he is telling the truth. I bought ultima underworld / betrayal at krondor 1992/1993 not 1996 and rest of the dates he says sound right i.e master of magic 1994.

Im from Finland btw.

I did pay attention to the territories where a game was released as long as, if, and whenever Wikipedia had any sort of info on that (I got all dates from en.wikipedia.org rather than de.wikipedia.org so I made sure to get US/UK/Int'l release dates rather than German dates).
I also paid attention to the platforms. I did in fact notice that some of "your" 1996 releases were 1996 releases on -for example- only the PS while the DOS or Windows editions came out in 1995 or 94 so I went with the earlier dates, of course, since we were examining PC games here.
Seriously, I promise that I did a fairly thorough job of researching the dates and -yes- I do trust Wikipedia in that regard. It's not like game release dates are open to interpretation. A game is released on a certain day/date or not. If you doubt any of the dates feel free to sign up to Wikipedia and correct them or provide alternate sources that prove Wikipedia's dates wrong.

Well, I suppose I should trust your site more than my site, but it's like arguing ovr which daisy is prettier while a volcano is about to go off behind us. My point still remains as valid as it was. because as you said, 'look at 1995 or 1996' and some of my classic were 1995 according to you, as well as other years, so it shows continuity back then that we haven't had for at least 5 years!

It's a new kind of nazi. You feared the Grammar Nazi, now be terrified of the DATE NAZI. Lol, seriously thanks Moriendor that was funny. But I have to say, so what if they're a few years off. They're all around 1996 give or take a few years.

After searching Moby Games I do see a trend after 2003 of fewer and fewer really good games being released, but this is a logical conclusion of the games costing so much to make. So maybe start to seriously look at Indie companies to take over for what the big boys don't make. I doubt it will ever come to just indies making quality rpgs, because the big boys will pick up the slack and make better games for us. Even "new" players will get bored with the same thing over and over again and want a little more depth to their game.

Last edited:
One other thing that is causing a decline in PC Gaming is the fact that the way that Retail has changed concerning PC Hardware and Software.

Big Box Stores such are usually the only place that you can buy PC Games. The independent PC stores that catered to the PC market and were more willing to carry a variety to suit the individual PC users taste are almost all gone.

The Stores that still deal with PC Hardware don't bother with Game Software because the can't compete any longer.

Like UK_John I've been dealing with PC's since the early 1980's. I still remember the fun times had repairing Amiga's, C64's, Atari's etc.

"Even "new" players will get bored with the same thing over and over again and want a little more depth to their game."

It's why I expect there to be more interest, almost on a month by month basis, in retro gaming, with retro PC gaming in particular getting more interest. After all, how many times have we been told of the 100's of million's of PC's in homes around the world, and how quickly has someone said 'but thy can't run the latest games'. No. But they can play all the games from, say, 2001/2 backwards! Even if you're a gamer that still wants the box, most pre 2002 games can be bought for $5-$10, which just the odd Planescape Torment or System Shock 2 needing the full $50 of a new game.

Given the state of the market, I wouldn't be surprised if a cheap laptop pre-configured with 20-30 DOS games (utilizing DOSBox) that you could just start the game from a list by double clicking on it, all with PDF manuals, or at least readme's for those games with no tutorial, wouldn't sell quite well! Add a freeware word processor spreadsheet and internet capability and I think it would attack a decent market! If only I had a 100,000 to get the thing off the ground! Put my money where my mouth is, as it were! :)

Back
Top Bottom