Personal things you don't need to know

He's very depressed right now because after the surgery he will need to readjust his life. Started talking about killing himself as he doesn't feel normal with the cancer, and what will happen after the surgery. We calmed him down though. One day at a time it seems.

Last edited:
I don't know what to say ... May he be better soon !

He's very depressed right now because after the surgery he will need to readjust his life. Started talking about killing himself as he doesn't feel normal with the cancer, and what will happen after the surgery. We calmed him down though. One day at a time it seems.
My dad got prostate cancer a few years back and got problems with the bladder and peeing. Ever since then, he has had a catheter (I think that's what it's called in English).

The first six months were very hard for him, but he now accepts it as unfortunate, but still not world ending. He even can see some benefits, like getting to sleep full nights without having to go to the bathroom.

Hope the consequences can be manageable for your friend. Life can be good and full of positive experiences, even after turned upside down.

In the early days of diagnosis it can feel that cancer has just taken control of everything and this is the only thing left that can be controlled. It's really hard for friends and family to hear, everyone feels so helpless.

I hope that as his treatment plan becomes clear and he gets used to the changes that these bleaker ideas pass.

As some of you may have noticed, I'm getting older. In fact, near the end of this year I reach level 70.

This of course also mean that my organs are getting older. But not necessarily at the same rate. My skeleton is up to 10 years old. My skin (outer layer) no more than 4 weeks, and my intestines (inner layer) are not the same as those before the weekend. All these organs/tissues renew themselves.

But my lenses (in the eyes) don't. And as they get older, they tend to be more and more cloudy, and in this case, the cloud is not a good thing. It's now time to do something about it, so next Wednesday my ophthalmologist will cut open my right eye, mash the interior (hopefully restricted to the lens) and replace said thingy with a synthetic one. Two weeks after, up comes the left eye.

Improved vision is expected. Better colours - finally I can appreciate HDR. Driving at night becomes piece of cake (again). And of course, I will finally realize (by looking at her face) how old the wife is (I will of course inform her).

pibbuR who is satisfied that he will still be able to read books without wearing glasses.

PS. What? Me worry? Definitely not. The procedure is routine (the clinic perform more than 3000 lens replacements each year) and it involves just local anesthesia. DS

PPS. Back then, in the eighties, when I finished med school, they did the extraction, but not the replacement. So patients lost around +13 refraction power and therefore had to wear veeery thick glasses. DS.

As some of you may have noticed, I'm getting older. In fact, near the end of this year I reach level 70.

This of course also mean that my organs are getting older. But not necessarily at the same rate. My skeleton is up to 10 years old. My skin (outer layer) no more than 4 weeks, and my intestines (inner layer) are not the same as those before the weekend. All these organs/tissues renew themselves.

But my lenses (in the eyes) don't. And as they get older, they tend to be more and more cloudy, and in this case, the cloud is not a good thing. It's now time to do something about it, so next Wednesday my ophthalmologist will cut open my right eye, mash the interior (hopefully restricted to the lens) and replace said thingy with a synthetic one. Two weeks after, up comes the left eye.

Improved vision is expected. Better colours - finally I can appreciate HDR. Driving at night becomes piece of cake (again). And of course, I will finally realize (by looking at her face) how old the wife is (I will of course inform her).

pibbuR who is satisfied that he will still be able to read books without wearing glasses.

PS. What? Me worry? Definitely not. The procedure is routine (the clinic perform more than 3000 lens replacements each year) and it involves just local anesthesia. DS

PPS. Back then, in the eighties, when I finished med school, they did the extraction, but not the replacement. So patients lost around +13 refraction power and therefore had to wear veeery thick glasses. DS.
My best wishes for a successful update! I would be worried by the local anaesthesia, however, because I would find it scary to watch them doing this to me. Can you opt for full anaesthesia?

I'm really surprised to hear it's just local anaesthesia for that procedure. How do they ensure that you don't blink or move your eye while they're operating? I would have assumed it would be much easier if you were under.

If that's like PRK, they have scary gadgets to keep the eyelids wide open. And since it's only a topical anesthesia for PRK, a camera is looking at your eye to guide the laser and stop it when the movement cannot be compensated, but it must be impossible to do that in more delicate operations like replacing the whole lens.

Can a local anesthesia put the eye muscles to sleep? I'm guessing a full anesthesia can't, though.

Anyway, get better (sight) soon! :)

PS: What you see during the operation must be psychedelic, like the best LSD experience ever. :ROFLMAO:

I hope it all turns out well for you, pibbuR. I'm one of those that's worn spectacles since I was a wee mite, cannot even fathom shoving something into my eyeballs, lol.

I'm really surprised to hear it's just local anaesthesia for that procedure. How do they ensure that you don't blink or move your eye while they're operating? I would have assumed it would be much easier if you were under.
I asked him about that. He said that usually that isn't a problem. In the rare cases when eye movements becomes a problem, they just apply anesthetics behind the eye bulb, which will paralyze the muscles (all 6 of them).

General anesthesia could do the trick, since muscles are usually paralyzed, but local anesthesia is safer.

pibbur

I hope it all turns out well for you, pibbuR. I'm one of those that's worn spectacles since I was a wee mite, cannot even fathom shoving something into my eyeballs, lol.
Spectacles sadly won't help much when the lens itself becomes cloudy.

Last edited:
BTW, during my Anatomy exam, I was asked to describe the anatomy of the orbit. When studying anatomy I always tried to create mental 3D images of the structures, so I just started at the top and "dissected" my way down to the bottom. It went very well.

piobbuR who has forgotten a lot (but still probably knows more than Joe the plumber).

I asked him about that. He said that usually that isn't a problem. In the rare cases when eye movements becomes a problem, they just apply anesthetics behind the eye bulb, which will paralyze the muscles (all 6 of them).

General anesthesia could do the trick, since muscles are usually paralyzed, but local anesthesia is safer.
Interesting. I was curious because I know I'll probably have to get it done myself eventually. Cataracts run in my family tree. I hope your results are very positive.

You know what really grinds my gears fastfood workers. They make $15 dollars an hour and still can't get your order right. The high wages have also increased prices.

I look forward to the day every fastfood joint goes fully automated.

Your problem, is that you still think that $15 is a High wage!! In a civilised country such as Oz we pay our fast food workers $22+ an hour and get great service. You get what you pay for!! America needs to get with the times and enter the 21st century!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom